DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Is it necessary? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/16260-necessary.html)

Torsten Blomfeldt October 26th, 2003 12:29 PM

Is it necessary?

Well, let me instead ask in this way:

Must I install the CD-disk ("Digital Video Solution Disk") which followed the Canon XM2 if I want to do VIDEO editing?

Or is that CD-disk only for stills?

And if I must install the disk must I also install the "DVC Storage Driver" from the same CD-disk?

I suppose all of you who do video editing could answer this question. Have you installed that CD-disk or not before video editing?

(I must place this question here because this CD-disk is about Canon XM2 and I don't want an answer from anyone with another camcorder.)

Alan McCormick October 26th, 2003 01:03 PM

Torsten ,

I edit my XM2 (GL2) clips regularly and I have NOT installed the software disk that came with the Cam. I think the sofware supplied by Canon is used for passing photos from the XM2 to your PC...

By the wording of your thread I assume that you are expecting an editing software to be supplied by Canon. I very much doubt it infact would say it is not included but as I have not even opened the software supplied I can't say 100%

I use Pinnacle Liquid Edition 5.5 for my editing which is a totally separate software package, I know lots on this forum use others like Premiere, Vegas etc. By using the Firewire lead supplied and connected from the Cam to PC I can import footage from the Cam (DV tape) for editing in my preferred editing suite.

I hope this clarifies it a bit.

Chris Fangio October 26th, 2003 03:00 PM

Transferring DV via firewire: NO driver required. Check if your firewire pci-card is recognized as an OHCI device and everything is fine.

Transferring stills via USB: Windows ME/2000/XP - MacOS 9.x/OS X: NO driver is required, the cam shows up as a drive and the stills can simply be copied to wherever you want them.

The CANON software is not requiered at all if you just want to transfer stills or DV.

Search for "amcap.exe" with google. Connect your cam (CAMERA, tape) an start the application. This application is great for testing signals of connected imaging devices. If the cam works here, it works in every application.

Edit: amcap.exe can be found here: ftp://ftp.internet-kamera.de/amcap.exe

Chris F

Torsten Blomfeldt October 27th, 2003 12:39 AM

I did so, and....

Chris: Search for "amcap.exe" with google. Connect your cam (CAMERA, tape) an start the application. This application is great for testing signals of connected imaging devices. If the cam works here, it works in every application.
Edit: amcap.exe can be found here: ftp://ftp.internet-kamera.de/amcap.exe

I did so. I got amcap, connected my camera to computer, and then this text come: "Sorry, you have no video capture hardware".

What does that mean?

Chris Fangio October 27th, 2003 02:10 PM

Torsten,

are you using any other Firewire equipment with your computer (e.g. external HD)?

Torsten Blomfeldt October 28th, 2003 09:33 AM

40 and 120 HD

On C:\ I have my 40 GB HD, and then on E:\ I have bought a 120 GB HD only for videoediting. And Vegas 4.0 I have on my 120 GB HD.

My 120 GB HD is internal.