DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Xl1s or Gl2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/17251-xl1s-gl2.html)

Jamie Spanopoulos November 17th, 2003 07:11 PM

gl2 or xl1s

I need to know what would be the best choice between the xl1s or the gl2. I will be using the camera to film hunting and sporting events. I am a rookie so I need some good advice .I used the gl2 to do a football game at night and had color problem. With an orange color being over powering other than that it was great. I feel if I spend a few more dollars and get the xl1s as we grow we can expand with out buying another camera. HELP

Joe Lloyd November 17th, 2003 07:23 PM

Do you need interchangable lenses?

If you plan on doing film work or anything similar then the XL1s would make more sense. I shoot for a more documentary, interview, event shorts and prefer the GL2 as the video is pretty much the same and its a bit easier to lug around.

Frank Granovski November 17th, 2003 07:41 PM

Quote:

I used the gl2 to do a football game at night and had color problem. With an orange color being over powering other than that it was great.
Any camera needs light, so shooting at night will result in poor quality video. The orange colour of the footage was probably due to the orange colour of the lights, so your GL2 was working fine. http://www.dvfreak.com/lux.htm

Jamie Spanopoulos November 17th, 2003 07:55 PM

I would think down the road of adding a lens. If the need comes up. But if i stay with the gl2 i could not expand. I would hate to spend money twice unless i need two cameras. Need to know from someone that used both not worried about the bulk just the quality

Frank Granovski November 17th, 2003 08:02 PM

I have footage of 2 weddings: one shot with an XL1, the other shot with a GL2. My conclusion is that the XL1 footage is way better: "fuller," better color saturation, more detail.

Jamie Spanopoulos November 17th, 2003 08:09 PM

Ok next? . How hard is it to use (xl1s vs gl2). Will it take long to get it figured out?
It seemed the gl2 was easy. but I think that like before with 35 mm I always made mistakes buying the right one or buying the wrong one

Hank Freeman November 17th, 2003 08:28 PM

GL2

I agree, you color problem was a white balance issue. If you film football games during twilight, you'll get a constantly changing color, moving from redish to blueish. I film sports exclusively with GL2s. In fact, we tether 4 GL2s to a Videonics MX1PRO dv and then to a VIDEONICs firestore. We don't need lenses, as 20x is ample and we use the flip out LCD monitor. I'd agree for documentaries to go for the added cost of the XL1s, but we are very very happy with GL2s.

Kevin Daman November 17th, 2003 10:33 PM

Xl1s or 2 Gl2s

I would like to start a wedding Production company. I Have enough money to buy 2 Gl2s or 1 Xl1s Is the Gl2 good enough to film weddings professionally?

Jamie Spanopoulos November 17th, 2003 11:15 PM

Which one is the best choice having trouble its not the money. What one will give me the best quality? I will be shooting sporting events and hunting and nature. Read about all I can read, need an experts opinion I think I hit a dead end they both seem to be great but gl2 seems to be limited, the xl1s seems to be a little older but with all its options and add-ons looks like it does the job. Need some one that knows, what do you think. I will be keeping this camera for a while, I used the gl2 and it seems easy and user friendly. HELP

Frank Granovski November 17th, 2003 11:25 PM

Both cams make good wedding cams, but my opinion is that the XL1 footage is more pleasing and it's lux requirement is slightly less. On the other hand, the GL2 is smaller and easier to carry around, and easier to hold for hand shots.

Jamie Spanopoulos November 18th, 2003 12:09 AM

So what are you saying? You need help too that’s how I feel I haven't tried the xl1s yet I think thats the one I will go with, how bulky is it. I will be using tripod as I do with the gl2 seems to work well for the things we do and want to do in the field we us a tree mount when we film a hunt and time we have to hold it. the big??? Is what will do the best job for TV quality? And give the best dusk shot, that is the time when a lot of big game starts to move.
We also are showcasing athletes.
In all forms also filming them as they play and practice then we edit the film for them lets say baseball player if he pitches or hitters and some live game action These videos go out to collages that these athletes want to apply to. They must be in the best of quality

Frank Granovski November 18th, 2003 03:08 AM

Quote:

...the xl1s, how bulky is it...we film...and time we have to hold it. the big??? Is what will do the best job for TV quality? And give the best dusk shot...They must be in the best of quality
Have you thought about a 1/2" CCD'd cam such as the JVC DV500/0 or Pana DVC200? Bigger CCDs, lower LUX, higher resolution, ability for shallow DOF, "cleaner" picture, more fine-tuning controls, XLRs, etc. Plus you can sit them on your shoulder for stabilization. On second thought, I'm sure the GL2 or XL1 would do. I make due with a 5 & 1/2 year old 1-chip.

Jamie Spanopoulos November 24th, 2003 07:24 PM

I tried them both and glad I did. xl1s is the one for me I bought the xl1s and happy I did . Now to learn all I can, very easy to use thanks for all the help.

Yep the girls like it too lol