DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Settings For Viewfinder (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/18625-settings-viewfinder.html)

Cliff Elliott December 20th, 2003 09:17 PM

Settings For Viewfinder

I recently purchased a new XM2 and have found the camera to be every thing I was expecting with the exception of the viewfinder.

Let me explain, I purchased the XM2 after five years of using a Panasonic NVDX100 three chip camera, a great camera but limited in manual settings, thus the reason for upgrading to the Canon, but one thing I am finding difficult to get used to is the viewfinder settings.

With the Panasonic the image in the viewfinder always appeard to have the right look about it as if you were looking at the scene you were shooting in real life, the colours were well balanced etc.
And when I uped or lowered the gain the viewfinder image would respond with accurate degress of adjustment.

On the Canon I find the viewfinder image to be oversaturated, although when the shot scene is played back on a television monitor the image is as close to perfect as I have ever seen.

This causes the problem of not knowing what the final recorded sequence will be like when using manual settings.

Are there any other adjustments I can make to the viewfinder other than the brightnes?

I know colour is a subjective thing and what looks good to one person is horrible to another but I have asked a number of people to look at set ups through both viewfinders and every agrees with me about this, so I would love to see what others on this list think.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Cliff Elliott

Ken Tanaka December 20th, 2003 10:19 PM

For clarity's sake, Cliff, are you referring to the viewfinder or to the flip-out lcd panel?

Cliff Elliott December 21st, 2003 04:06 AM

Re Viewfinder Clarification

Thanks for your reply, I am specificaly talking about the Viewfinder not the flip out screen.

But regarding the flip out screen it appears to be more natural with regard colour rendition than the viewfinder.

Regards, Cliff Elliott

Don Palomaki December 21st, 2003 06:57 AM

FWIW: If it is like the GL1, there are internal (not user accessable) adjustments for EVF contrast, brightness, and sub-brightness on the R and B colors.

Graham Bernard December 21st, 2003 08:19 AM

Don, are there also black and white settings one could access?

Cliff Elliott December 23rd, 2003 04:09 AM

Settings

Don and Graham, thanks for the response, a question if I may, do either of you know how to perform these adjustments? if so could you please explain them to me.

Thanks.

Regards, Cliff Elliott

Don Palomaki December 23rd, 2003 05:13 AM

The adjustments are not user accessable. It appears that some level of disassembly is necessary.

Contrast and brightness should be B&W adjustments, the R and B sub brightness would effect color balance.

Cosmin Rotaru December 23rd, 2003 08:25 AM

"On the Canon I find the viewfinder image to be oversaturated"

Yes, I noticed that, too. Very upseting.

If there's somthing I could change (by riping appart the vf) I'd like to know! :)