DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   GL1 & Circular Polarizing Filter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/23170-gl1-circular-polarizing-filter.html)

Ed Baatz March 18th, 2004 11:34 PM

GL1 & Circular Polarizing Filter

Is there a simple solution for using a polarizing filter WITH a lens shade/hood on the GL1?

The standard Canon GL1 lens hood blocks access to adjust the polarizer. Is there, hopefully, a way to use a polarizer and still have a lens hood, maybe a non-Canon (rubber?) lens hood? If so, is there any special hood needed so that the lens hood doesn't cause vignetting when shooting at wide angle - without zooming?

Thanks...

Ed Baatz
Sarasota, Florida

Jeff Donald March 18th, 2004 11:56 PM

What specifically is the problem? Is it that the POL won't fit when the hood is on, or that you can’t rotate the filter?

Ed Baatz March 19th, 2004 12:05 AM

Jeff,

When I put the polarizing filter on the GL1 and then replace the lens hood, the lens hood effectively prevents me from rotating the polarizing filter. The Canon GL1 lens hood has a bayonet mount with a set screw so rotating the lens hood is not an option... I think?

Naturally, just removing the lens hood would be the simplest solution, however, shooting with the polarizing filter on but without the lens hood doesn't seem like a good choice. The polarizing filter is useful for reducing/removing reflections but does nothing to shade the lens itself from lens flare...

Jeff Donald March 19th, 2004 12:09 AM

OK, I know the problem. I've used a rotary tool (Dremel) to cut away part of the hood, so my finger can rotate the ring. It's really all you can do. The generic rubber hoods offer very little protection from sun or hard knocks.

Ed Baatz March 19th, 2004 12:23 AM

Jeff,

Hmmm, that sounds like an interesting "fix". How big of a cut-out did you make and on which part of the lens hood? I guess a cut-out just big enough to let your finger access the filter would be the way to go? You wouldn't happen to have a nice close-up picture of your customized GL1 lens hood, would you? <grin>

Can another (extra/spare) lens hood for the GL1 be ordered from Canon? I'd feel much better if I had another (back-up) lens hood just in case I butcher the job when using the dremel...

Robin Davies-Rollinson March 19th, 2004 01:13 AM

Cokin Filters (www.cokin.fr) Have a filter system with lens hoods that will fit any camera. I tried one on my XM2 before I added the Arri matte box and they were really excellent. The modular lens hood costs very little - really!
Take a look anyway.

Robin.

Jeff Donald March 19th, 2004 06:03 AM

Ed, I didn't do it on a GL lens hood, but rather several of Canon's still lens hoods (same problem). I put the cut on a corner and it was just as wide as needed to get my index finger on the filter. Canon does sell replacement hoods. If you don't have access to a Dremmel tool, you could also go to a hobby store and purchase a razor saw. It will take longer (manual saw) but you may be less likely to butcher your hood.

Ed Baatz March 19th, 2004 10:42 AM

Very good point Jeff! I definitely need to find out how much replacement lens caps cost before I break out the heavy machinery... I foresee a large pile of mangled rectangular GL1 lenshoods in my trash...

I've been reading old, forum posts about matte boxes to learn about them but I still don't think I really basically understand them too well. The Cavision 3"x3" rotating matte box does sound interesting for use with my GL1. I guess there are two different adpaters so that the matte box can be attached to either the standard GL1 lens or the WD-58 adapter.

Ed