DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Need input on the DM-50 Directional Mic (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/23746-need-input-dm-50-directional-mic.html)

Aaron Nanto September 25th, 2002 10:30 AM

DM-50 for GL2..how is it?

Hi all,

Just bought a GL2, and I'm looking at a under $200 audio mic. I know that Canon offers the DM-50, but I can't find any reviews on it - how does it perform? Any issues about it that I should be aware of? Thanks!

Chris Hurd September 25th, 2002 03:02 PM

It's a decent mic for under $200. It's very handy. There's a suspension cradle which cuts down on the camera motor noise going to the mic, and the pickup pattern is much narrower and more directional than the on-camera mic. Plus you have a choice of three switchable patterns. Keep in mind that $200 is considered next to nothing in this business. That said, you can't go wrong with the DM50. They hold their value well, so if you don't like it you can always sell it. Hope this helps,

Aaron Nanto September 25th, 2002 03:38 PM

Thank you a lot for the comments. One more question I had - is there any kind of extender that I can get in case I wanted to use that mic away from the camera?

Chris Hurd September 25th, 2002 05:45 PM

An extender is not available; the mic connects directly to the camera's hot shoe. The form factor of the mic is such that it's useable as a camera-mounted item only. You would not want to use it off of the camera; consider a different mic for that specific purpose. Hope this helps,

Will Fastie February 17th, 2003 07:25 AM

DM-50 Owners: Got Specs?

The question of the specifications of the Canon DM-50 on-camera microphone has been raised here several times, but the specs have never been proffered.

I was wondering if a DM-50 owner could post whatever information was provided with the mic. If spces were not provided in whatever documentation came with the mic, knowing that would help as well.

A piece of advice I got here in the forum suggested that if I needed to know the specs of this mic, then I probably shouldn't buy it. It's a good point. But I think we can provide a service by getting some solid info about the mic posted or, lacking any, by raising a collective voice to a vendor that has given us some great cameras but fails to explain its less expensive products very well -- specs and manuals for things like the DM-50 are not provided at canondv.com.

Thanks.

Chris Hurd February 17th, 2003 09:04 AM

We already have a thread on this topic; please refer to http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=6238. I suppose I should combine these two discussions since they're both covering the same thing.

Will Fastie February 17th, 2003 12:25 PM

Chris:

I read that thread. In fact, I read every thread on the board that so much as mentioned the DM-50 in passing.

The reason I started another thread was to make the subject stand out by targeting owners of the mic, if any.

Naturally, I'll be happy with whatever decision you make regarding the two threads.

Will

Chris Hurd February 17th, 2003 01:00 PM

Well, hopefully we can find the mic specs.

Don Palomaki February 17th, 2003 06:35 PM

My observation has been that Canon does not publish much in the way audio performance specifications for their mics.

Scott Silverman February 17th, 2003 10:33 PM

Try sending Canon an email asking for the specs. Or give Customer Service a call. They are usually pretty friendly, at least when I called a while ago they were. If you do have success, I would love to know the specs also.

Good luck

Will Fastie February 18th, 2003 08:59 AM

I called and wrote Canon. No dice.

I suppose the fact that Canon doesn't want to tell us could be a hint.

Chris Hurd February 18th, 2003 08:47 PM

Yes, the bottom line is, this is a *consumer* mic.

Will Fastie February 19th, 2003 01:04 PM

Chris:

You've made this point several times, but I just don't get it. I buy $30 consumer products all the time that come with specs or that are described in detail on a vendor's Web site. Both Sony's ECM-MS908C (list $120) and ECM-Z37C ($150) "consumer" camcorder mics, which are similar to the DM-50 in style and function, are well-documented at the site.

I remain hopeful that a DM-50 owner can provide the information Canon won't.

Will Fastie

Steve Nunez February 19th, 2003 05:10 PM

As an alternative- check out the Azden SG-X- cost was $129 at B&H and is a better solution than the GL2 stock mic......I'm sure Azden has the specs posted online somewhere....the SG-X will probably perform very similarly to that of the DM-50....but feel free to ask the board- maybe some members here have had or tried both mics.

Tom Voigt February 19th, 2003 05:50 PM

Canon DM-50 Specs

Type: Back electret stereo condenser shotgun microphone
Directivity: Super-directional/Uni-directional stereo
Sensitivity: -40dB/PA (0 dB= 1V/ 1 Pa, 1 kHz front, along axis)
Frequency: 150-15,000 Hz
Output impedance: 200 ohms (1 kHz)
Operating temperature range: 0-40 C
Dimensions: 32x81x150mm, 120g

I can't compare it to any other microphone, but I like it a lot. It produces a very nice recording of music and voice with a very good stereo image (in the center, stereo shotgun, setting).