DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   gl2 equipment for student film project (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/25436-gl2-equipment-student-film-project.html)

Ross Williams May 2nd, 2004 04:18 PM

gl2 equipment for student film project

I will be doing a student project for 2 months this summer filming a promotional video for a small b2b company to be distributed on dvd. the film will contain outdoor shots (at an intl. airport), along with indoor shots of large warehouses and interviews with managers. I have a budget of $2200 for the camera and accessories, and I think the gl2 will be my best bet.
I am wondering though which type of tripods, camera bags, filters, lighting, etc., and especially microphones i should buy with my limited budget, or if there is another camera and equipment set that would work better?
I already have a computer and software for the porject, so that is not in the budget.

Ken Tanaka May 2nd, 2004 04:43 PM

Hello Ross,
Believe it or not, $2200 won't leave you much budget for other gear after the GL2 is purchased.

Your question is canyon-wide and has no definitive answer.

Browse our Support forum for tripod ideas. I recommend getting the best you can afford, as it will likely outlive the camera.

Browse our Photo Management forum for ideas on lighting. Pay particular attention to Scott Spears' article on low-budget alternatives.

Good luck and have fun with your project!

Ross Williams May 2nd, 2004 06:27 PM

Thanks, that lighting article was great. Thinking over what you said, is there another camera that might be better for my budget? For my other equipment, i am not really looking for things that will last me long as i have to turn in all my gear at the end of the summer :(. So i'm looking for things that will get the job done.
Can I find a mic for interviews for under $100?
Any cases for under $50-$65?
tripods under $75
Are the cheap filters any good?
Also, i don't think i will need any telephoto lens.
Anyone has any no-budget gear list, or another camera that will suit me better?

Carlos Leon May 3rd, 2004 02:51 PM

GL2 package

I am selling a like-new deluxe DL2 package that may interest you. You have mail at rosswilliams1337@hotmail.com

Ross Williams May 4th, 2004 07:10 PM

i'm sorry, while i am looking for affordable options, i am afraid i cannot buy products whose manufacturers are unknown to me, and turn up negetive after an extensive google/froogle/shopping.com search.

I am looking for a sub $75 tripod
sub $75 bag
sub $100 mic

can anyone point me to some products

Cosmin Rotaru May 7th, 2004 09:46 AM

"I am looking for a sub $75 tripod"
Good luck!
"sub $100 mic"
Good luck again! :)
75$ tripod would be unusable for a camcorder.
sub $100mic would be worse than the GL2 on camera mic.

"i am not really looking for things that will last me long as i have to turn in all my gear at the end of the summer"

Maybe it would be better to rent...