DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   16:9 mode on GL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/29436-16-9-mode-gl2.html)

Boyd Ostroff February 5th, 2006 06:21 PM

That adaptor should give you nice 16:9, but with some limitations on zoom. However, $750 is a lot of money to put into a camcorder of that age...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont....x=0&image.y=0

Galen Rath February 5th, 2006 08:46 PM

Is the 16X9 lens adapter something that can enhance a GL2 abilities, or can the GL2 offer the same results with the standard GL2 lens?

Vincent Rozenberg February 6th, 2006 03:20 AM

Click on I gave up here and see the difference they state to offer, and judge for yourself.

Zack Birlew February 6th, 2006 09:43 AM

Any 16:9 adapter for the GL1 will be better than the 16:9 menu setting, but that doesn't mean the 16:9 menu setting is useless, just remember to crop it in post accordingly.

I've seen the 16:9 adapter for the GL1 in action at NAB 2005 and it does make a difference, however, to be safe there's always the option of buying the Panasonic Anamorphic adapter, about the same price, and using a 72mm-58mm step down ring and using that on the GL1 for a time and then getting a used DVX100A/B a few years down the line for cheap. But that depends on how much you want to spend on the ol' GL1 I suppose.

Lisa Shofner December 15th, 2006 07:30 PM

Maybe I'm confused on how this works exactly (read some info on the product pages for the adapter). But wouldn't putting a WideAngle adapter on the camera and switching it to 16:9 via the menu give the same effect as shooting in 4:3 with the 16:9 adapter?

Travis Cossel April 5th, 2007 12:53 PM

16x9 "in camera" vs 16x9 cropped

I've searched and searched for a clear answer to this, but I haven't found one yet. Maybe there isn't one?

My question: will I get a better looking video image if I shoot 4:3 and just crop to a 16x9 look in post, or a better image if I shoot in the GL2's 16x9 mode and edit the video in 16x9 format in post?

John Miller April 5th, 2007 01:00 PM

Do you mean letterboxed 16:9 mode? i.e., the camcorder puts black bars on a 4:3 image to simulate 16:9?

If so, in theory, it would be better to do it "in camera" since the cam's DV encoder can dedicate more of the available bit space to the active parts of the frame. Encoding the black bars uses very little bit space. But it depends on whether the cam is that smart or not.

Travis Cossel April 5th, 2007 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John F Miller (Post 654492)
Do you mean letterboxed 16:9 mode? i.e., the camcorder puts black bars on a 4:3 image to simulate 16:9?

If so, in theory, it would be better to do it "in camera" since the cam's DV encoder can dedicate more of the available bit space to the active parts of the frame. Encoding the black bars uses very little bit space. But it depends on whether the cam is that smart or not.

Actually, I meant the GL2's 16x9 mode, where the image is "stretched" in the viewfinder. I hope that makes more sense.

Chris Barcellos April 5th, 2007 01:15 PM

Travis;

This has been subject of a lot of debate in the Sony PD/VX line too. Essentially, the consensus is that the electronic 16:9 as good as real 16:9 dedicated chips (seems obvious). There is a bit more debate about the choice between the pseudo 16:9 and just adding bars in camera (as in the VX and PDs) or in post. I started a thread and I think the responses apply to the Canon side of things too. Here is thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=88405

Travis Cossel April 5th, 2007 01:24 PM

Thanks, Chris . . reading that thread now . . .

Don Palomaki April 5th, 2007 04:07 PM

Results may depend on your editing system as well, and external material you might want to intertcut. Why not try both with typical material you plan to shoot and see which way works better for you.

Travis Cossel April 5th, 2007 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Palomaki (Post 654646)
Results may depend on your editing system as well, and external material you might want to intertcut. Why not try both with typical material you plan to shoot and see which way works better for you.

I shoot almost primarily weddings with my 3 GL2's, so I don't really have to worry about external footage.

I was going to run some tests if I didn't get the answers I needed here, but I wanted to try here first, since running tests takes away time from running the business, ya know?

Tim Agnew November 8th, 2007 09:56 AM

4:3 to 16:9

Hi all

Shot footage with my Gl2 in 4:3 format. Was just wondering, is there a way to convert the footage to 16:9? If I keep the footage in 4:3 will it play alright if someone has a $5000 wide screen tv?

Thanks in advance

Merlin Vandenbossche November 8th, 2007 02:32 PM

It will always play on a widescreen TV, but as a pillarboxed image to maintain the aspect ratio (make sure that ratio is set to "4/3" in TV menus or on something like autoscale, otherwise you'll get distorted images)

pillarbox: http://hairy.geek.nz/img/43-pillarbox.jpg (two black sidebars)

To convert to a 16/9 image you need to letterbox your image using an effect in a post-production softwaresuite named something like '16/9 matte' or 'letterbox'. Be aware this does cut off top and bottom of the image and replaces it with black bars. So you may lose important parts of your image if you didn't frame correctly for letterboxing (hence the setting on GL2: '16/9 guidelines' to help you frame). Then just export it to DVD/whatever and make sure the aspect in all of those settings is set to 16/9 (it will stretch out the image to fully scale the 16/9 screen).

Truth be told: the GL2 isn't a 16/9 camera.

Randy Garrett December 11th, 2007 09:49 PM

16/9-lenz

Can someone give me some info on this one.. I'm a photographer and work with upper end Nikon and Canon Equeptment but this Video stuff is new to me. I bought the GL2 a couple years ago as a client wanted both still and video. only used it once but for the price he paid, the camera was more than paid for..
The GL2 has both the 4/3 & 16/9 settings on it but of what I've been reading, The 16/9 really isnt a wide angle. and the 16/9 lenz is needed for actual wide angle shots.
I'm trying to understand this before I buy the lenz.. Does the lenz give you a "fish-eye" or panoramic, approach to the viewing or is it just a standard viev (4/3) with the upper and lower areas cropped off.....
And if the 16/9 setting on the GL2 is a modified comp. setting, when the lenzis installed, do you still use the 4/3 setting or the 16/9..