DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   When's the XM2 out? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/3017-whens-xm2-out.html)

Peter Butler August 5th, 2002 06:46 AM

when's it out?

I'm new to this forum so first off I'd just like to say hi to everyone. Great forum by the way, I've been looking for info on the GL2 and in till now couldn't find any feedback on what it was like so a big thanks to this forum for that.
Anyway back to my question which is I live in the UK so the GL2 isn't out yet. They say August but does anyone know an exact date and if so what sort of price it would be? I'm guessing it will be about £1800 but this is a guess so an exact figure would be good to know. I'd also like to know of any comparisons to the Sony950 I was actually about to buy a 950 when I heard about the XM2. From what I can tell the XM2 is the purchase but can anyone tell me how the picture compares to the 950 and generally how it feels t to the 950 i.e. is it well balnced in weight are the buttons easy to use, what's the zoom like?

Looking foward to hearing from you.

Peter B

Chris Hurd August 5th, 2002 07:12 AM

My understanding was that the XM2 ships second week of August in the UK.

Peter Butler August 5th, 2002 07:22 AM

cool

I'm guessing that's in the next few days then. What's confusing is the fact that Canon still haven't got the new model up on their website. You'd think they'd want to promote it a bit before it's release.

Craig Peer August 5th, 2002 04:41 PM

is on website

Actually, the GL2 is on Canons website ( search
engines will take you there too ). Craig Peer

Peter Butler August 6th, 2002 03:04 AM

Ah but that's

the GL2. On the UK site the XM2 (pal version of the GL2) isn't on the site.

Chris Hurd August 6th, 2002 08:11 AM

Peter, the best I can get is "mid August" for the XM2 release in the UK. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Peter Butler August 6th, 2002 08:19 AM

Yeah

I'm wondering what the price will be as well, I suspect that it will be around £1800 and then as soon as it's been out a month or so a few retailers will probabaly drop a £100 or so. I'm hoping it will be out by the end of next week but all high street shops I've visited haven't even heard of it let alone have it listed on their computers. I would have thought that they would have been informed at least a month in advance but obviusly not. It's so frustrating having to wait.
Thanks for the info by the way.

Peter B

Steve McDonald August 15th, 2002 04:22 AM

I checked the Canon website for England on Aug. 15, at noon GMT and the XM2 was up and ready. Dabs.com
had it listed for £1,879.(inc).
The PAL version has 470K total pixels per CCD, 440K effective.
They claim 540 lines of res for it.
Its still-capture J-PEG pictures seem to have the same maximum pixel-size as the NTSC model, however.

This webpage has more details and specifications than the one for the GL2 in the U.S. of A. This might be recommended reading for those in the Colonies who want more info. It describes how the green CCD is horizontally shifted 1/2 a pixel width and is also the one that is shifted vertically 1/2 a line. I was led to believe that in other Canon "pixel-shift" models, that two different CCDs each made one of those shifts?? Since the green-sensing pixel captures light in the center of the spectrum, it's more important for the luminence part of the image.

Steve McDonald