DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   GL2 chewing up tape? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/40817-gl2-chewing-up-tape.html)

Eugene Kim March 9th, 2005 10:02 PM

GL2 chewing up tape?

Hi, I have a GL2 that's chewing up and spitting out tape IMMEDIATELY.

Basically, I've been using Panasonic Pro Quality tapes for awhile, and then was forced to use the regular consumer grade Panasonic tapes for a couple of shoots. Still worked fine though.

Then I was forced in a pinch to use Sony tapes (the red trim ones). This illicited a check the tape response/warning flashing on the screen. The result? I ejected the tape only two find the tape mangled with the actual ribbons inside splayed about.

Fine, I ran my tape head cleaner, standard procedure. Still, same problem. Keeps on spitting out these Sony tapes little shop of horrors style.

Ok, so I swtich back to the consumer Panasonic tapes again on the next shoot, and all is fine again.

I get back, re-run the tape head cleaner. Go off and shoot my sister's wedding with my normal stock of Pro Quality tapes.

Fine, no problems.

Now, when I get back. I'm forced to use the the consumer Panasonic tapes again. Now, this one gets the chewed up and spit out treatment.

Plop in an extra Pro Quality tape I have lying around, fine, no problems.

My camera does not have excessive wear on it, so this is a bit disconcerting.

Again, no problems using Panasonic PQ tapes whatsoever.

Is this because Panasonic PQ tapes are dry lube, while Sony and the Panasonic consumer version are wet?

How would I get this problem fixed? How much would it cost to get fixed? And what exactly do you think is the problem? Like I said, it's not really a problem for me as long as I make sure to use my stock of PQ tapes; BUT, I do plan on selling my GL2 within the next few months so you can see why I don't really want to send it into Canon for servicing.

Ken Tanaka March 9th, 2005 10:07 PM

You need to send the camera to Canon service. It has nothing to do with your tapes. Nobody here can help, nor is this a problem you will be able to repair for yourself. The tape transport needs to be replaced or adjusted.

Hank Freeman March 11th, 2005 05:44 PM

Of my 7 GL2s, 3 have been sent to the factory for exactly the same issue. This is a long-known issue with the tape transport. Let me suggest that you never use the camera to rewind tapes. Invest in a $15 rewinder found on ebay or elsewhere.

Eugene Kim March 11th, 2005 08:28 PM

Thanks for the response. I rarely use the GL2 to rewind though I have done it before in a pinch. I already have a tape rewinder, fast forwarder.

With that said, how much did Canon charge you to fix this problem?

Thanks.

Chris Dornack March 12th, 2005 01:47 PM

400$

Mark Williams March 12th, 2005 05:09 PM

Welcome to the world of Canon. Get image, not so great tape mechanism. I sent my GL-1 back for this same problem 2 times and tape alignment issues three times. Now I have a DVC-30. No problems.

Regards,

Mark