DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   gl2 not detected (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/41984-gl2-not-detected.html)

Adam Buckley March 28th, 2005 08:19 PM

gl2 not detected

i've attempted to import images/video from my gl2 with both usb and firewire on two different computers. both computers say they can't detect the camera. is there some setting that i changed by switching back and forth between usb and firewire? or is there another problem w/in the camera that could cause it to be undetectable?

Ken Tanaka March 28th, 2005 08:35 PM

What platform? (Mac / Windows)
What O/S?
What capture software?
Has it ever worked in the past?
If so, what changed since then?

Ming Dong March 28th, 2005 08:38 PM

When capturing video, make sure the TAPE/CARD switch is set to TAPE. When copying images (from your memory card), set it to CARD. The switch is located directly above the Start/Stop button.

Also, depending on the OS your running (on the computer), you may also need to install a "driver" to recognize your GL2. Windows XP does not need a driver.

Adam Buckley March 28th, 2005 09:27 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka : What platform? (Mac / Windows)
What O/S?
What capture software?
Has it ever worked in the past?
If so, what changed since then? -->>>

both my laptop and my desktop are windows xp. i used premiere on the laptop for video and canon zoom browser on the desktop for images.

both have worked in the past, and i can't figure out what has changed since it worked. the only thing i can think of is moving back and forth between computers and usb/firewire. since the camera isn't being detected on either computer, or w/ either software, i'm led to believe that it's a problem w/ the camera.

i've unplugged/replugged the cables multiple times and made sure that the tape/card switch was in the correct position.

is there any chance the switching make and forth caused the problems? are there any settings on the gl2 i can check?

Sasha Stojkovich March 31st, 2005 10:37 AM

notebook

Hi,

i have realized recently, that my camera is not recognized anymore by my notebook and FW1934 pccard, when the notebook is connected to power. You heard that right. WHen the notebook is running on battery only, everything is working OK.

Sasha

Graham Bernard March 31st, 2005 10:53 AM

Sasha - Your notebook wouldn't be a Dell .. would it? . .hmmm...

Grazie

Graham Bernard March 31st, 2005 10:54 AM

. . and you mean 1394 card . . yes?

Sasha Stojkovich April 3rd, 2005 05:41 AM

the notebook is not a Dell and yes, it it a FW1394 pcmcia card with NEC chipset.

Sasha

Adam Buckley May 15th, 2005 11:44 PM

well, now that i've got some time, i've decided to try and remedy this problem.

i was concerned that there was a blown port on my camera or something, but my desktop now recognizes the gl2 through usb. however, my laptop still does not seem to recognize it through firewire...there is no 'canon dv' listed anywhere on the device manager ('canon dv' is listed on the device manager for my desktop). and i still get the 'dv device is unavailable for device control' message when i try and to capture w/ the laptop.

i know this much...
-the 'dv in' light on the gl2 is consistently blinking when it's plugged into the laptop.
-when i plug/unplug the firewire notebook adapter the computer makes the 'da dun' noise, so it apparently knows the adapter is there.
-i have tried two different cables and there has been no difference.
-the laptop used to be able to recognize the camera...don't know what i could have done to change things.

any ideas?

Adam Buckley May 15th, 2005 11:50 PM

one more thing...

the laptop does NOT recognize the camera through the usb either.

so...
my laptop does NOT recognize the camera through usb OR firewire
my desktop DOES recognize the camera through usb (no firewire port on the desktop)

there HAS to be some kind of explanation for this!

Graham Bernard May 16th, 2005 12:01 AM

Try removing CARD and then replace it? - Only an idea. . . Grazie

Adam Buckley May 16th, 2005 12:04 AM

i'm not sure i know what you mean...how would i do that?

the only thing i can think of that i may have done between the time that it worked and now was i got connected to the network at my university. could that have done anything?

Graham Bernard May 16th, 2005 12:13 AM

Sorry, is the card in your Laptop a PCMCIA card? - G

Adam Buckley May 16th, 2005 12:28 AM

i think so...there's a 'PCMCIA adapter' listed in the device manager. is that what you mean?

Graham Bernard May 16th, 2005 12:37 AM

Oh!

My experience is that I plugged my f/w into a PCMCIA card. I could "eject" this card and then "re-seat" it - this assured me that it was seated correctly. But I'm thinking now that you don't use a PCMCIA card for f/w capture - yes? You use a small f/w female plug somewhere on the body of the laptop? - Grazie