DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Newbie here (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/42684-newbie-here.html)

Mat Jung April 9th, 2005 06:15 AM

Newbie here

Hello all, I just got my first digital camcorder, and it happens to be a GL2. I am new to the film industry, but I'm willing and quick to learn. I just wanted to say hi, and if you have anything to tell a complete newbie, then do so here. I love my GL2, and I can't wait to hear from you all.

David Ennis April 9th, 2005 07:24 AM

Congratulations, Mat, and welcome to the forum. If you've been visiting here for a while before you got your cam, you know that there are lots of experienced and knowledgeable people here who are glad to help with questions, or to just plain talk about what they and you are doing.

The obvious initial advice is get to know your camera. Two additional areas you're going to need to learn about and eventually invest in are audio equipment and video editing. So in your spare time it would be good to explore those areas a bit.

Best of luck!

Graham Bernard April 9th, 2005 11:36 AM

Hiyah Mat!

Hiyah Mat!

Welcome aboard . . I'm just counting . . er . . . I reckon'I got 250+ 1 hour Sony tapes - all from my XM2s . .. love 'em!

Best advice? Get going with Manual filming ASAP . . this IS where this camera starts to fly! Honest!

Best regards,

Grazie :)

K. Forman April 9th, 2005 11:41 AM

Welcome to the neighborhood. In addition to learning your cam and audio, you should learn about lighting. As far as editing, it isn't absolutely necessary, but it can actually help you learn to shoot better. By this I mean you will learn how to get better footage.

Adam Christopher April 14th, 2005 08:22 AM

Hey Mat! In the interest of not starting an entirely new thread, I am also a new GL2 owner and am just getting to know it. I'm glad to be part of a forum of such knowledgeable GL2 users! Thanks for welcoming us!

Steve Sirinides August 8th, 2005 03:18 AM

Hey people, yet another GL2 newbie. I've already used a lot of great info from you guys on these threads, and I'm looking forward to many happy hours of filming with my camera. I'm interested in wedding videography - I live in Athens, Greece and I think there is a real untapped market for that. Any suggestions for a guy with one camera and a ready and willing crew including two graphics designers and a photographer?

Graham Bernard August 8th, 2005 03:28 AM

γειά σας!

Yeah! Try and stay away form Vouli Beach! - Well the sand anyways!

Lots of advice .. mostly about kit and bags and audio and . .. lights? You will find it ALL here.

If - rather WHEN ( not if! )using a tripod get a decent remote control. You reall don't want to be getting to the on/off zoom focus WHEN you are working the trip! Yeah?

Oh yes, stay away from "flying" plates! Greek Weddings .. GREAT STUFF! . .yah could just make a major blockbuster out of it? - Wonder if this HAS been done before?

Grazie

Steven Davis August 8th, 2005 06:49 AM

Welcome

Hey Mat, welcome to the board. This is a great board where people really do help other people. I've been coming here for a year and have made probably 80% of my purchase decisions using information and opinions from this board. And despite what everyone else has here, the Canon GL2 is still MACK DADDY!

/me hugs Lucy (name of GL2)

Steven Davis

DJ Kinney August 8th, 2005 05:30 PM

I concur. It is indeed the mac daddy.