DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   having a dilemma (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/42942-having-dilemma.html)

Nick Tsigos April 13th, 2005 10:44 PM

having a dilemma

I have about 1500 dollars to spend and I really wanna get my hands on a canon gl2, but I'm not sure if I'm able to find one in decent shape for that price. are the gl1's worth a look or should I just hold out and wait for a gl2 to come my way for that price. I've seen footage from both cams and to my eye I didn't notice a huge difference in picture quality but then again I'm a noob. I would love some feedback or some ideas where I might be able to find a nice person willing to part with a gl2 for my asking price.

nick

Joe Calalang April 14th, 2005 06:23 AM

Well, I'd try to get the GL2 if you can. The audio control alone is worth the long search. There's gotta be some desperate GL2 seller out there looking for a fast buck. Good luck.

Patrick Smith April 14th, 2005 12:16 PM

i got mine for 1600$ with a hard metal case 3 batterys and all the orignals.

just be patient.

Adam Christopher April 14th, 2005 03:20 PM

For not much more than that (after the rebate), you can get a brand new one. I got mine at beach camera.

Nick Tsigos April 14th, 2005 09:27 PM

I'm keeping an eye out and really hoping something local pops up so I can see it and play with it before I give anyone any cash. I'm going to check out beach camera tonight, are there any other cams I should look at. I was thinking maybe panny ag-dvc30.

nick

Nick Tsigos April 14th, 2005 10:40 PM

whats everyones take on the ag-dvc30? it looks a little smaller then the gl2 which is a plus for me. but does it compare at all?

nick

Patrick Smith April 15th, 2005 11:35 AM

i made an agreement with my buyer on here to do a 30-day insurance. Which basically stated that after i got the camera, that i could check and test it out personally just to double check everything was in working order.

most of the people on this board are trustworthy... for the most part.

Just keep your eye open in the classified.

Good Luck. I wouldn't trade my GL-2 in for anything

Nick Tsigos April 15th, 2005 02:14 PM

b&h has a sony pdx10 open box special for 1649. I've heard good things about that cam. anyone else.

nick

Adam Christopher April 16th, 2005 11:43 AM

<<<-- I'm going to check out beach camera tonight, are there any other cams I should look at. I was thinking maybe panny ag-dvc30.

nick -->>>

I looked at the Panasonic too. I think the benefits of the GL2 are more than enough to justify the extra cost (of course, I was able to scrape together the extra little bit to get the GL2 and maybe you aren't). The Panasonic has smaller CCDs, and not much manual control that you will want if you are doing professional stuff. It seems to be geared toward the consumer that has a higher budget than average. I personally haven't gotten to try it though. IMO hold out for a GL2.

Nick Tsigos April 16th, 2005 01:26 PM

yeah I think I ruled out the panasonic due to the smaller ccd's. I'm still looking for a gl2. I have a trip planned to utah come may 7th so I would love to get a cam by then. I'm saving my pennies and keeping my fingers crossed.

nick

Doug Fearman April 19th, 2005 02:31 PM

Actually the gl2 and the dvc30 both have 3 x 1/4" CCD's and are considered to be prosumer cameras. The (consumer) panasonic gs400 has 3 x 1/4.7" CCD's.
Doug

Adam Folickman April 20th, 2005 06:04 AM

Doug is absolutely correct.

Also, Mark Williams (a member on this site) has owned both video cameras. You might want to talk to him.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/member.php?u=2369

Adam Christopher April 27th, 2005 06:44 AM

You're right. I must have been thinking of another camera. Nick, I found a new GL2 for 1499 (don't know about a rebate or if they are an "authorized dealer" but that's still less than most dealers with the rebate).
http://www.expresscameras.com/prodet...d=8678&start=1

Mathieu Ghekiere April 27th, 2005 08:11 AM

I searched this, because I didn't trust it:

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1805.html

Please don't do it. You can read the reviews.
Although I don't buy stuff from our sponsors, the only reason I don't do it is because they are in America and you often have to have a credit card and (biggest reason of them all) I just don't have so much money to spend on gear. IF I would need them , I think I still would look with them, because I once tried the customer service via email and they were very helpful.
Really, people here many times promote the sponsors, for example B&H, EVS, ... but it's not without reason.
Stay away from these cheap shops, they give you cameras for a low price, but for example without batttery, which they almost force you to buy for maybe 500 dollars... I'm exagerating maybe a little bit, but this is the way they work. For your own good... or if you want it cheap, try the Private Classifieds boards here, I bought my XL1s from someone, it was in great shape, perfect experience!

Boyd Ostroff April 27th, 2005 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Tsigos
b&h has a sony pdx10 open box special for 1649.

Something is wrong there. The current B&H price for a new PDX-10 is $1,800. There's a $200 rebate from Sony, so your final price for a new camera is $1,600. Maybe something else is included with the "open box" special?

I like the PDX-10 a lot, it isn't as good in low light as my VX-2000 (about a 2.5 f-stop difference). Read our forum for more information. The thing which stands out on the PDX-10 is the high quality 16:9 which the GL-2 and DVC-30 cannot do. It also has XLR inputs and a short shotgun mike, plus it records in DVCAM mode and has a hi-res black and white viewfinder.