DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon Service FAILS AGAIN (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/47216-canon-service-fails-again.html)

Tom Johnston July 4th, 2005 09:23 PM

Canon Service FAILS AGAIN

So I recently recieved my camera (GL2) back from Canon service. I actually sent it through a camera store, that I had purchased it from. Note that it is still under warranty. Thus meaning everything was suppose to be "repaired" free of charge. The camera store covered the shipping and what not. So I recieve the camera back, after several long weeks of waiting and it has returned with the same symptoms. Yes, just after about five minutes of recording. For all of you who are curious, read the "GL2 Self-Inflicted pauses while recording post." Same problems as some 30-40 others. The camera will shut itself off then power right back up quickly. Basically, whenever it wants. Sometimes this will take place every few minutes. Other times.. multiple times within a few seconds. Manual focus will go off when it turns back on. Sometimes all of the manual settings will remain the same. Sometimes they won't. No, it's not a battery problem. Yes, I am amazed by what the GL2 is capable of. But what good is it when I can't record for even 20 seconds without being cut off? According to what I was told by a sales person at the camera store, they replaced the main circuit board. This obviously hasn't helped anything. What frustrates me most is seeing multiple people with the same problem. Yet, multiple trips have been required to Canon service before the camera is repaired properly or replaced. From what I've read they obviously haven't been able to "repair" this problem. The majority of people who had cameras returned in working order were those that were replaced under warranty. So my question is... why should I have to send my camera in AGAIN, when I am pretty sure they aren't going to get it right this time either. It's like multiple weeks wasted for nothing. Why won't Canon save everyone the headaches, phone calls, down time, etc. and just replace the camera or find a way to PROPERLY repair this problem? I don't feel I should have to send my camera back again and again and again before something is done about it. It's like a cat and mouse game across the US. For the money these things cost, I expect them to function properly during everyday recording. Especially when it's not even a year old. Needless to say... my camera is on its way back to Canon service AGAIN. Hopefully they get it right this time or replace it. By now I would hope they still aren't saying "I've never heard of it" if this many people are going through this same problem. But with my luck, they probably won't be able to "duplicate" the problem or "detect" anything. Honestly, would this many people make this story up? Thank you for your time.

Ken Tanaka July 4th, 2005 09:34 PM

Tom,
i know we're very sorry to hear of your ongoing camera troubles. But nobody on this board represents Canon or Canon's service department. Documenting your disappointment here will not be nearly as productive as taking it straight to Canon.

Chris Hurd July 4th, 2005 10:48 PM

Tom, in addition to what Ken said, my own advice would be to get out from under that camera and move on to some other make and model.

Mathieu Ghekiere July 5th, 2005 05:53 AM

Chris, isn't that a strange advice?
A new camera should work, and a repair centre should repair it, but if they don't, you as a customer just have to go get another camera?
That isn't right, though?

Jimmy McKenzie July 5th, 2005 06:19 AM

I can't see tossing the towel either ... Canon makes good product. But it might be time to start screaming "Lemon!!!" for this particular unit and demand a replacement from Canon in concert with the retailer. Perhaps a meeting can be arranged with the Canon rep to review your situation. You've got the paperwork to state your case.

Failing that, get out the annual financial report for Canon USA and become known to some sales directors or VPs if necessary. Be nice and follow the chain from the bottom up. You want to give every level of command a chance to remedy the prodlem. Be persistant and you'll get results.

David Ennis July 5th, 2005 11:26 AM

Yes, from the many threads I've read about Canon problems (I haven't had any with my GL2 yet), some individuals at their service centers tend to brush the owner off, but if he persisted he got to someone who did the right thing, including replacing the cam in some cases.

One key is to be sure to refer to the posts you've seen on line. Whether they acknowledge it or not, they are aware of them.

Chris Hurd July 5th, 2005 11:39 AM

I wouldn't say it's tossing in the towel; I'm just looking at it from a standpoint of "what is your time worth." Launching a crusade is certainly an option, and if you've got the time and resources to do that, then more power to you... as for myself I'd rather be shooting video. That's why I suggested getting out from under that camera and moving into something else.

David Ennis July 5th, 2005 01:54 PM

lol. I say this with respect and gratitude for all you've done for us, and I've been there many times myself, but I think you trodded into the do-do on this one, big dog :)

Chris Hurd July 5th, 2005 02:39 PM

*shrug*

If you ask me, this whole thing shouldn't have to happen in the first place. For a couple thousand dollars, this stuff is supposed to work properly. That's how I really feel about it. Getting the dealer involved even at this stage is still a good idea.

Ken Tanaka July 5th, 2005 03:29 PM

Taking Chris' "dealer involvement" concept a bit further, recognize that dealers / resellers are Canon's primary customers. That is, Canon sells their products to dealers not (primarily) directly to consumers. To that end, dealers don't want to buy inventory that will give them trouble with customers. They want the customers to buy the stuff and go away until they're ready to buy something else. Seeing previously sold products come back in the door is about as welcome as seeing your kids come back home after they leave college.

So dealers really present the greatest pressure on Canon for product reliability. Canon reps don't want to hear B&H (for example) hem-haw about taking new product because it's unreliable.

Bill Hardy July 6th, 2005 08:26 AM

Continue to send it through the dealer and keep up the polite but persistant toll free calls to Canon reps, especially if you have a second cam. If not, then you may want to consider a second one like Chris said, and when you finally do get it back working right then sell it. I had to send a Titanium model Powerbook in for paint repair 5 times; it kept comming back with worse problems; damage ranging from broken USB port to misaligned hinges. When I finally got it back the 5th time I sold it. I would always go thru the dealer I bought it from; otherwise you will be responsible when you get it damaged; there is no proof it did not get damaged after it arrived. At least you can inspect the unit before taking it home from the dealer and just shove it back to the dealer if the same problem persists BEFORE YOU GO HOME WITH IT. I agree both ways; look for a different model BUT send it in for repair and sell it later if that is still your desire. At least you will come away with some cash like I did for my Powerbook. By the way I have 2 Canon GL2 cams and both have been working, though used infrequently for over a year. I am having much more fun with a recently purchased pocket sized Casio EX-750z:

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/iMovieTheater40.html

Can't wait to use it on the Islands of Adventure theme park rides. They will allow the GL2 on some (Like the Jurrasaic Park ride) but not the more intense rides like the roller coaster, etc. This is one cool camera/cam...sorry for going off topic!