DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon VL10 light (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/47410-canon-vl10-light.html)

Jeremiah Rickert July 8th, 2005 02:26 PM

Canon VL10 light

Does anyone know why the VL10 canon video lights have gone UP in price over the last few years? When I was first thinking of buying one, they were around $30-$40 on Ebay, and not they're $50-$70 on Ebay. Are they that rare and in demand?

JR

Chris Hurd July 8th, 2005 02:41 PM

Personally I've never liked the VL10 and I really can't recommend it. To me it always looked big and awkward on a GL2 and seemed like it would snap off if you bumped it hard enough. Plus with the battery it adds a lot of weight to the front end. Why not settle for the VL3 instead. It's a great little eye light, very small and weighs nothing, and costs less (about $50).

Jeremiah Rickert July 8th, 2005 05:09 PM

vl3

I own a GL1, does the VL3 use the hot shoe on the GL2 to power it, or some kind of batteries?

Thanks

JR

Graham Bernard July 9th, 2005 01:02 AM

VL3 uses the camera's battery. Powered through the hotshoe.

It has 3 settings:

1/- OFF . .. er . .off!

2/- AUTO - This allows the Lamp to be automatically be controlled/switched on when the light levels drop and the camera needs it. Apart from giving illumination when the camera needs it, this way "conserves" battery power. But you do get a kick-in when the light decides to turn on - yeah? If you want the Auto option to work, you have to be shooting in AUTO mode.

3/- ON - You can manually elect to have the light ON when you want it and override the Auto WHILE you are in AUTO, and have the VL3 ON when you are shooting in MANUAL.

Having used the lamp on a handful of projects, and then a "paid" project, it was this paid project that made me invest in a PAG C6 light. Yes? I needed the experience of the VL3 to convince me of MY need to step up to a 20 watt on camera lamp. Personally, I should have gone straight to the PAG, but I needed to experience a cheaper option first to get there! Isn't life like that?

Once you are using the hotshoe - and it needs it - you will need to bolt on another clamp/tripod clamp if you want to connect another device. You can't use the now "occupied" hotshoe - yeah?

Tell you what though! I wont sell or give away my neat VL3! Go figure?

Grazie

Jeremiah Rickert July 9th, 2005 03:57 AM

okay

Yes, the VL3 requires use of the "advanced" hot shoe that is only present on the GL2, not the GL1, so I can't use the VL3 or the VL7. Only the VL10li because it uses a separate battery. Or I can just forsake canon and get one of those lights with a built-in rechargable.

JR

Chris Hurd July 9th, 2005 09:11 AM

Sorry Jeremiah, I wasn't aware that this was for a GL1. If I were you, I'd go with a third-party solution for a good onboard light.

Graham Bernard July 9th, 2005 10:31 AM

" . .. does the VL3 use the hot shoe on the GL2 to power it, . .. "

. .and that is what I answered.

G