DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Head phones with GL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/47740-head-phones-gl2.html)

Roy Keefer July 14th, 2005 11:30 PM

Head phones with GL2

This may be a dumb question, but I'm not an expert with the GL2, so here goes.

I've read through the manual but can't find how I can use headphones to hear sound as it's being recorded. I will be doing wildlife recording and want to make sure I'm picking up the sound since I may not get a second chance. Can anyone tell me how to do it?

Many thanks for any help.

Graham Bernard July 15th, 2005 01:05 AM

Ok . . . .

"I've read through the manual but can't find how I can use headphones to hear sound as it's being recorded." - On the right hand side of the camera, in front of the CASSETTE door is a flap. Open it and you will be presented with several female sockets. On my XM2 I've got a RED and a GREEN socket. The lower - GREEN - is the stereo socket for a set of headphones, if you look very closely you can make out a headphone ICON. The RED socket is for STEREO input for mic/s.

"I will be doing wildlife recording and want to make sure I'm picking up the sound since I may not get a second chance. Can anyone tell me how to do it?" - Well, this is a different point you are asking. This is more about the type of microphone you will use. In my opinion, and I've just done some testing of a Rode Video Mic, you will be wanting to "isolate" the birdsong from all the background noises. The Rode is a great "isolated" mic in its class and is the cost is a no brainer. However, having been "spoilt" by my Sennheiser kit and MK66 and its "brighter" output - good for birdsong! - I'd suggest you research this too.

So, your post here has two parts to it:

1/- How do I use Headphones with the GL2

. .and . . .

2/- How do I record birdsong.

Look, there aint, "A Mic For All Seasons" . . I've come to realise this. For most people's use and demands, videographers will settle for a particular mic and stop there. Once you start doing projects which demand mics for particular "jobs" then you need to design mic kit for that purpose. Fro example for weddings, mostly a shotgun and a radio mic will cover "most" eventualities. Capturing "birdsong" - IMHO - needs a shotgun and an ability to record ambient to another track. This will allow you to "mix" between the two sources and "focus" on the birdsong. You may also want some form of on-site commentary. Then you will definitely want another mic for this.

. . . and Roy? These are NOT dumb questions at all! Very very important and relevant questions.

I've focussed on "birdsong" as being a type of wildlife sounds you wish to record. I realise you have not stated that is what you want exactly, but it is a good example to work against when you/I want to compare what we are wanting from the audio recorded. Bottom line here - don't rely on the onbopard mic for the purpose of wildlife recording. It is a good ambient mic, but it wont be focussed enough to capture exactly what you want. It will ALSO record a lot of what is happening behind the camera too!

Hope some of this helps, . . have fun,

Grazie

David Ennis July 16th, 2005 03:33 PM

Also, when headphones are plugged in the selector wheel on the back of the cam temporarily becomes a volume control for them. Turn it and a scale appears in the LCD and remains for a few seconds after adjusting the volume.

Dale Guthormsen July 16th, 2005 10:09 PM

wildlife/audio/tracks

roy,

I was jistified by the same thing when i first got my gl2, do not feel alone.

I film wildlife regularly. It was totally obvious that the onboard mic was far to sensitive to the rear. I love its sensitivity, but do not swear under your breath when something weird happens. I feel it would be good to get an xlr (beach tec for example, run two mics as suggested.

All fine and good, but how do you record them on seperate tracks as was suggested!!???

dale guthormsen

Graham Bernard July 16th, 2005 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen

All fine and good, but how do you record them on seperate tracks as was suggested!!???

dale guthormsen

I got the Canon MA300 - this has LEFt and RIGHT XLR sockets. I can then plug in 10 or 20 metres and more of balanced XLR cable straight into the camera via the MA300 adaptor. Works for me. Recently did this from a Behringer MXB1002 Mixer - brilliant!

http://www.behringer.com/MXB1002/index.cfm?lang=ENG

However, there is a STEREO socket above the HEADPHONE socket. Use the left and right for mono L and R mics? YEs?

Grazie

Graham Bernard July 16th, 2005 10:38 PM

. .and here is the thread on SPLITTERS for the stereo socket - using 2 mics: One for Left and One for Right . .

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...tereo+splitter

G

Roy Keefer July 17th, 2005 09:54 AM

Head phones

Thanks for the tips. I'll look into the idea of using two mics.

I've wanted to use an external mic, a lavelier, and use the mic built into the camera but I understood this wasn't possible. I wanted to be able to have two people carrying on a converstion while one of them wore the lapel mic and have the camera's external mic pick up the other person. I'm not too technical. I'll have to study your replies and see if I can do it.

This site is really helpful for someone like me.

Graham Bernard July 17th, 2005 01:46 PM

As soon as you use an audio adaptor in the Hotshoe - the on-board is dead; as soon as you stick something in the mic socket the on board is dead. You can not use another mic AND have the on-board working. PERIOD!

Grazie

Dale Guthormsen July 20th, 2005 01:17 PM

two mics

Sense you cant use the on board as an external, would it not make sense to use a beach tec box and run one shot goun and one lapel mic? Mind you then you need a wireless set up too.

Dale

Nathaniel McInnes July 30th, 2005 04:28 PM

I found just plug you head phone staight into the bottom socket where you can make out a headphone symbol i found out that this worked fine