DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   GL2 Accessories (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/4797-gl2-accessories.html)

Stephen Sobel November 5th, 2002 05:09 PM

GL2 Accessories
 
I need some advice from folk who have the GL2 Camcorder.

First, I have read a variety of comments about the Lowepro Vidcam 5 and Vidcam 6 bags, as well as the Kata CCC 101 and 102. I need a bag to carry the GL2 with hood and battery, as well as an extra battery, tapes, a wide-angle lens, and possibly an external microphone. Has anyone used these bags, and can you give me some advice? Also, I can find the Lowepro bags locally, but I haven't been able to find the Kata bags. Does anyone know a reputable on-line dealer for Kata?

Second, I have read several comments about the Libec TH-M20 tripod, as well as several Bogen tripods (such as the 503 fluid head and the 3251 and 3182 legs). Does anyone have experience with these and the GL2? Are there other good tripods out there that people have used with the GL2? How about in the $200 - $300 range?

Finally, I have read conflicting comments about filters. Does anyone know a reputable dealer of B+W or Heliopan filters? Is there a uv filter that doesn't hurt the video quality on the GL2?

I'd like to hear from GL2 users. Thanks!

John VVV November 5th, 2002 06:01 PM

I have a Libec TH-M20 tripod and the larger Bogen head and sticks. 99% of the time the Libec is enough for the light GL-2.
Regards, John V.

Stephen Sobel November 6th, 2002 07:31 PM

Do you have any recommendation as to reputable internet dealers for the Libec TH-M20 tripod?

Vito Zarrillo November 6th, 2002 08:17 PM

About the bag...
 
Stephen-
I purchased the Kata 101 bag(which is their "GL2" bag) and I am regretting it. It is just too small for the camera, extra batteries, a coupl of filters, etc.
IT IS A WELL MADE BAG but I would go for the larger one (XL1s). That's my next purchase.

Just my experience.

Vito

Alexander McLeod November 6th, 2002 10:34 PM

Re: About the bag...
 
<<<-- Originally posted by Vito Zarrillo : Stephen-
I purchased the Kata 101 bag(which is their "GL2" bag) and I am regretting it. It is just too small for the camera, extra batteries, a coupl of filters, etc.
IT IS A WELL MADE BAG but I would go for the larger one (XL1s). That's my next purchase.

Just my experience.

Vito -->>>

Vito, I purchased the Kata 102 bag from Zotz (on Brian's recommendation) and am happy with it. Evidently some folks prefer a very tight bag but I like one which is looser and allows room for not only the camera but also extra batteries, filters, a wide conveter, and other stuff I do not have. You seem to feel the same way. The 102 is fine but if you want accessories I have not mentioned perhaps (like other stuff) another purchase beyond the 102 would be worth checking out. For instance, (and I commented on this before), a dedicated bag which I could use as a backpack when I'm skiing might be better than what I anticipate using for the GL2. (Althought I do have a backpack sack which will work.)
Sandy

Keith Luken November 7th, 2002 11:20 AM

I love the Libec for my GL2, I got it from ZotzDigital, a sponser here. I got my B+W UV filter for the GL2 at BH Photo www.bhphotovideo.com. The filter never comes off the camera, too afraid of damaging the lens, yes I am paranoid.

Stephen Sobel November 7th, 2002 05:23 PM

Sandy,

I'm interested in a bag that will hold the GL2 with battery attached, a wide angle lens, an extra battery, a couple of extra tapes, a couple of lens, and an external mic. Will the Kata 102 hold that comfortably?

Also, thanks to all of you for the advice!

Stephen

Alexander McLeod November 8th, 2002 12:40 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Stephen Sobel : Sandy,

I'm interested in a bag that will hold the GL2 with battery attached, a wide angle lens, an extra battery, a couple of extra tapes, a couple of lens, and an external mic. Will the Kata 102 hold that comfortably?

Also, thanks to all of you for the advice!

Stephen -->>>

Stephen, I think it will come close. I carry a battery attached and an extra, a wide angle lens, three filters, a couple of extra tapes, and a remote. I put a small notebook in the outside side pocket. Depending on the size of your lenses and the external mic (plus your definition of comfortably :-) ) it might work. The 102 has an outside zippered pocket, an inside zippered pocket, and an inside open pocket as well as two movable (and removable) dividers. It is somewhat flexible from side to side but limited by the solid bottom and zippered top.

Hope this helps,
Sandy

Stephen Sobel November 8th, 2002 06:31 PM

Sandy,

I'm thinking of the Canon DM-50 mic, or something in that size range. For the wide-angle lens, I'm thinking of the WD-58H.

My definition of comfortable is that everything fits in the bag without being jammed in - a little bit of extra space, but not a lot. Given that, does the 102 work?

Stephen

Alexander McLeod November 8th, 2002 09:46 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Stephen Sobel : Sandy,

I'm thinking of the Canon DM-50 mic, or something in that size range. For the wide-angle lens, I'm thinking of the WD-58H.

My definition of comfortable is that everything fits in the bag without being jammed in - a little bit of extra space, but not a lot. Given that, does the 102 work?

Stephen -->>>

Stephen, I have the WD-58H stored forward of the GL2 and it fits very nicely. Of course, it could just as well be aft of the unit. I do not have a DM-50 and in searching various websites could not find the dimensions for the mic but I assume it would fit the 102 in terms of length. It is not longer than the GL2, right? Overall size? Got me there. Looking into my bag, I can't conceive of a mic not fitting but then I have been wrong before. Many times. If you have dimensions I could give you a mo bettah answer.
Sandy

Stephen Sobel November 10th, 2002 07:56 AM

Sandy,

I don't have the dimensions, as I haven't bought it yet. But it's not longer than the GL2.

On another note, do you keep a filter on your GL2 for protection? If so, what do you recommend?

Stephen

Alexander McLeod November 10th, 2002 10:13 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Stephen Sobel : Sandy,

I don't have the dimensions, as I haven't bought it yet. But it's not longer than the GL2.

On another note, do you keep a filter on your GL2 for protection? If so, what do you recommend?

Stephen -->>>

Stephen, I keep a Tiffen UV filter on. I have done that with all my cameras over the years, not necessarily Tiffen but for protection. From your descriptions I think the 102 would work for you. Best thing, of course, is to see one and play around with it and your gear. I did not, bought sight unseen but on recommendation of one of our sponsors, and it has worked out well.
Sandy

Stephen Sobel November 10th, 2002 12:19 PM

Sandy,

I have one more question. Do you use the BP-930 or BP-945 battery? How long does a charge last for whichever one you use?

Stephen

Ignacio Artiņano November 10th, 2002 02:19 PM

I use the Manfrotto 503 fluid head and flies smooth on my XM 2

Best.

Ignacio

Alexander McLeod November 10th, 2002 07:15 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Stephen Sobel : Sandy,

I have one more question. Do you use the BP-930 or BP-945 battery? How long does a charge last for whichever one you use?

Stephen -->>>

Stephen, you've got me here. I have the original 915 and the 945. I have never run down either before recharging so I can't answer your question. Sorry.
Sandy


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:59 AM.

DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2019 The Digital Video Information Network