DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Any Music Videos shoot with the GL2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/48429-any-music-videos-shoot-gl2.html)

Daniel Sanchez July 28th, 2005 12:07 AM

Any Music Videos shoot with the GL2?

Anyone out there know of any music videos shoot with the GL2? Can you post the file or link. Also are there any tv shows shot with this camera.

Thanks
Daniel Sanchez

Graham Bernard July 28th, 2005 03:12 AM

Is this what you were after?

http://rocco.razza.org/forum/lofiver...php/t1163.html

Grazie

Giuseppe Palumbo August 1st, 2005 07:27 PM

http://s90140792.onlinehome.us/MAIN/...96%20final.mov

My friends band
Gl-2
Vegas Video 4
tripod? haha

just tell me what you think of it...

Darko Flajpan August 4th, 2005 02:31 AM

Giuseppe, that's a very good video you've done. I liked framing & composition very much. Very nice work and keep on!

Corey MacGregor August 5th, 2005 12:23 PM

Here's a video i did a couple of months ago with my gl2.

http://www.terraform.tv/video/hellinthefirst.mov

Corey

Valery Karyakin August 9th, 2005 12:07 PM

Giuseppe Palumbo

Your video is good quality recording, including some of the framing. Having said that, that is not a music video - that is a simple recording of a song. No disrespect - but please, don't call it 'music video'.

www.videoreel.co.uk

DJ Kinney August 9th, 2005 01:48 PM

What are you talking about, man? In reference to either "Hell in the First" or Giuseppe's video, they are both music videos. I mean, if they aren't what would constitute a music video for you?

Because they are clearly music vids in any traditional MTV sense of the term.

???

Valery Karyakin August 9th, 2005 02:14 PM

Respectfully, I disagree.

What is music video? Quote: "This program contains "music videos," visual programs designed to accompany a song or other musical composition. These videos often include the performer and may or may not contain a plotline."

In other words, if I record my friends playing some instruments, yes, I can call it 'music video'. That, however, does not make it a music video. What I see is not a 'visual program'. It's a straight forward recording such as in 'event videography'.

OK, what are you on about man? What are you trying to get me to say? Why salute to daft uninspiring videos from younger generation instead of encouraging them to think of a plotline, a story and to try to sell rather than to bore?

This video wouldn't even be considered by MTV editors. Or would you disagree?

Bill Porter August 9th, 2005 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valery Karyakin
Why salute to daft uninspiring videos from younger generation instead of encouraging them to think of a plotline, a story and to try to sell rather than to bore?

Valery, you didn't encourage him to think of a plotline or a story. You simply insulted the guy and were snooty.

To everyone else, just imagine Valery as a parent. "Daddy, look at the picture I drew!" "Son, what is a picture? A graphic composition. Oh sure you drew something but please don't call it a 'picture'."

DJ Kinney August 9th, 2005 06:57 PM

It isn't a recording of them playing the music. It's a stylized representation of a live performance. In other words, they're faking it. Maybe the debate arises from that misunderstanding. It is so very far from a recorded live performance. Also, there are clearly surreal elements, such as the "doubling" of the lead singer. It's very much in the style of numerous "postmodern" or at least "post-80s" simplistic videos of the 1990s.

Just off the top of my head, I am thinking of Pearl Jam's "Evenflow," Mighty Mighty Bosstones, "The Impression That I Get," and way back in the day, Four Non-Blondes, "What's Goin' On." Those were all just images of them performing, either at concerts or staged for the camera. And MTV accepted them.

I know I've seen stylized performances on MTV-style videos. It is definitely a "music video" and I think everyone on this board would agree to that statement. So I'm gonna call argumentative b.s. on that.

Bill Porter August 9th, 2005 07:01 PM

Giuseppi, I thought you did a very good job. I never made anything that nice when I was 18, that's for sure, LOL

Something about it seems 60i-ish to me. Was it shot in frame mode or 60i?

Valery Karyakin August 10th, 2005 03:01 AM

Thanks Bill, I got the point. I was a bit harsh, I accept that - my apologies to Giuseppi. He has a long way to go still despite all the praises from you guys.

DJ Kinney August 10th, 2005 10:31 AM

Hey Valery. Post one of your videos. I'm curious about what it is that makes a real music video.

Adam Bray August 10th, 2005 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Kinney
Hey Valery. Post one of your videos. I'm curious about what it is that makes a real music video.

+1 Let's see it Val.

Bill Porter August 10th, 2005 12:31 PM

Valery,

Wow, well it takes guts to admit that. Most people just dig in and stick to their proverbial guns. Kudos.

On the other point, he may have a long way to go but the kid's 18; I think that's kind of a given!

Personally my own style would be to give him - regardless of his age - an attaboy and then offer a polite and subtle "Did you ever try ____?" or a "Now get some ______ in there and you'll be stylin'!", etc. But the fact that he's 18 means I take whatever I see from him with an extra grain of salt. Some of us have been driving an automobile since before he was a tickle in his daddy's pan- er, a twinkle in his daddy's eye!

I know where you're coming from but if you take a group of 100 enthusiasts or students and tell them "that doesn't even qualify as a music video in my book," the vast majority will become discouraged.

But my hat is off to you for not flaming away at me with a closed mind. I sure wouldn't have been as big a person as that.

Edit: +2, I'd like to see a "real" music video of yours too, not to attack it either.