DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Can this be done and how......... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/51206-can-done-how.html)

Bruce Pelley September 16th, 2005 11:01 AM

Can this be done and how.........

I'd like to use the GL-2 as a webcam.

I need to have a high quality video image to send overseas.

What software would be needed if any and how would everything be connected and set-up?

Anyone ever try it?How about Yahoos free (vox) messenger service?

Thanks in advance.

Yes,of course and the budget for such a endeavour is very modest

Jeremy Davidson September 16th, 2005 11:53 AM

I read a post once about someone using an XL2 for MSN Messenger, so there should be a way. I'm not sure how "high quality" a webcam program will be, though. You may want to look at the "Windows Media Encoder" (available from MS via free download I think) and do something more like a streaming webcast. Connection speed will likely be the real determining factor of quality.

Do you need two-way video? Does it have to be live, or would record-and-send be enough?

Greg Boston September 16th, 2005 12:50 PM

You can do it with the GL camera and it will look much better than a standard webcam. I use my Panasonic 953 for just such a thing and I recently used the XL2 as well. If the software recognizes a firewire camera attached, then you should be fine. Canon also has DV Messenger software that is designed for exactly this purpose.

-gb-

Giroud Francois September 16th, 2005 03:52 PM

all chat utilities , including messenger, netmeeting and so on ... are performing poorly on video transmission.
the only easy way to send high quality video is to use windows media encoder.
you can create a stream profile matching exactly your need and possibilities.
do not forget that ADSL is usually very slow for upload and bandwith is not stable.
if you got 512k , you can create a stream at 350k.
this allows for a 320x240 pixel at 25 fps with a real good quality.
if you expect a full SD (720x576 at 20fps) you will need a good 1Mb at least.
to compress the video, any P4 will be ok.
I use such way to make direct video link between Switzerland and Florida.
You can even create a web page embedding a mediaplayer object, so people just need to link tio that page to see video.
use dynamic IP provider to create an url, so people can link to this url even if your IP address is changing.

Dale Guthormsen September 20th, 2005 10:00 PM

web cam stuff

Bruce,

There are some free softwares out there. You could look up eyeball chat. I used it for awhile with a distant aquaintance. I was actually surprised at the quality of the picture. Most internet stuff is poor.

Gus

Trond Saetre September 22nd, 2005 04:27 AM

I can use my XM2 with msn and aim messengers.

But when trying with yahoo, I get an error message, saying "wrong/to large image size".