DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   GL2 recording from a TV (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/5541-gl2-recording-tv.html)

DaveBear December 17th, 2002 08:51 PM

GL2 recording from a TV

hey hey, maybe this is a stupid questions but... i was wondering if its possible to record footage from a televison on to my GL2, through the RCA cables? anyone know? im looking an easy way for a way to capture footage! thanks, any responce will be much appreciated!

david

Peter Moore December 17th, 2002 08:56 PM

Yes it is most certainly possible. I believe all you have to do is hook up the cables using the 3-progned RCA that came with it, put the camera in VCR mode, press record then play, and you're off.

If I'm slightly wrong, check the manual, but I think that's it.

Bill Hardy December 18th, 2002 06:46 AM

I dunno. seems like either the gl2 or gl1 will not input thru analog; only SVHS input will work. Could be wrong.

Peter Moore December 18th, 2002 09:33 AM

I have done it. I don't remember if you have to set something special in the menus, but you can absolutely do it on the GL2.

Dirk Goris December 20th, 2002 05:02 AM

I second that. It's very possible. Read your manual and if you don't have one you can download it from the canon website.

Steve Garfield December 21st, 2002 04:38 PM

There is a menu option

After you hook up the TV to the GL2 using the A/V cable, go into the GL2 Menu, choose VCR setup and set AV -> DV OUT : ON

Jun Galinato December 22nd, 2002 12:15 AM

The best way to record a TV program from your camcorder is to use VCR with an RF Tuner Input and with an RCA analog output. Connect the Antenna cable to the input of the VCR and select the channel you want to record, did I miss something?

Tim McGreggor February 10th, 2003 07:22 PM

I have tried this but it just has black. Is this because it uses copy wright signal?

Can anyone help me with this. I just got my GL2 3 days ago and i love it. I just need some help other than from the manual.

thanks

Wojtek Zlobicki February 11th, 2003 01:39 AM

I have a 200mc and have a similar problem. I have some footage that was shot on my trip to Africa. I can see the VCR output on the LCD of the 200MC but the camera refuses to record. The original footage was in PAL format but I have had the tape converted to NTSC. I have also tried some footage that I had taped from the tube.

When I press REC/PAUSE on the remote, the caption on the LCD does change to PAUSE but pressing the button again does not change to REC (recording). I have no problems taping new footage. I am in the VCR mode which is what the manual states I should be in and have followed all the instructions. Is the problem the VCR, is the camera not liking both types of footage?

Frank Granovski February 11th, 2003 02:50 AM

Sorry, I don't quite follow you. Are you saying that you recorded PAL footage from a PAL cam, then had it AV converted to NTSC---and now you can't pull it into your NTSC cam from your NTSC VCR? If that's what you did, it should work. If shot in PAL, converted via VCR, then pulled it into my NTSC cam. Mind you, it looked awfull! 0_0

Wojtek Zlobicki February 11th, 2003 06:44 AM

Frank,

Original footage was PAL , had it converted to NTSC. Resulting footage was in NTSC format.

I also found what my problem was. When wanting to record, one needs to press the REC PAUSE button on the remote, start source of footage and press the pause button (NOT REC PAUSE). I called Canon support and they did not point me to my error.

While the instructions in the manual are correct, its easy to make this mistake. Why in the world would I press pause to start recording. It is further annoying that the REC PAUSE button is red (where one would expect to begin recording). It would be nice if they included the symbol found on the remote for the given action for newbies like myself.

I was guided into finding the error of my ways by reading the post of another user in the forums.

Frank Granovski February 11th, 2003 07:22 AM

Oh, well, I guess it helps to read the instructions. I had to figure out the buttons when I first began dubbing sound into my footage. It's so easy to not point the remote correctly and press the wrong button. Glad you figured out the problem.