DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   You're never to old to . . . (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/58604-youre-never-old.html)

Graham Bernard January 18th, 2006 05:06 PM

You're never to old to . . .

I've just entered the world of 16:9 . . . 3 years after my first XM2 . . I'm a total twit!

This camera is amazing . . . I did try a bit .. ooohhh 2 years and thought . .yeah okay . . but now I'm making camera decisions IN 16:9, well!

I've just done a test shot of the NEW Wembley stadium at night .. . yeah, 1/12, Preset Levels adjusted . .BUT, I got the WHOLE Stadium within my Wide Angle and in spectacular 16:9 . . . I must have been less than 150 metres away.

Sorry, I just had to own up to somebody . . .

Grazie

K. Forman January 18th, 2006 05:13 PM

How you doing editing it Grazie?

Graham Bernard January 18th, 2006 05:20 PM

Hi Keith - I've started editing within Vegas 6 and using the PAL widescreen setups throughout. I've render a tiny clip and Printed to Tape and then viewed the final "tape" out put on a 4:3 TV set for 16:9 . .looks ok! Looks Great! . .Why, tell me of the issues now? What further thing is going to happen when editing?

Grazie

K. Forman January 18th, 2006 05:35 PM

I have only played with it once, in Premiere, and it really wasn't as pleasant as I had hoped. But again, it was only the once, so I really haven't had the hands on time to experiment. Don't Panic!

Dale Guthormsen January 18th, 2006 10:45 PM

never to late

Grazie,

I have been shooting in wide screen all year and have just started editing it recently, no problems yet.
Is there a way to make regular shot video into wide in post, other than making a matt ??

gus

Graham Bernard January 19th, 2006 12:45 AM

KEITH! - "Don't Panic!" - waddyah mean, don't panic?? NOW I'm panicking! ! !

.. . . . lol .. .

Gus? eh? "Is there a way to make regular shot video into wide in post, other than making a matt ?? " . .. sorry, am I missing something? It'll be horizontally stretched? Or are you saying "laying 4:3s side by side. Well this is exactly WHAT I intend to do. And yes maybe an "infill" matte will be necessary so not to "p u l l " out the 4:3. I'm thinking of a transparent matte so I can arrange on the 16:9 format the 4:3 clips.

Should look quite classy!

Grazie

"Don't Panic!" - Am I THAT obvious . .. ? I've calmed down now Keith - he he he . . .

Mick Flack January 19th, 2006 06:20 AM

Just thought I would add my sixpeneth.

I have been filming with the 16:9 guides for some time so that I got framing right for widescreen.

I use Premier Pro for editing and use the PAL widescreen template. I import as 4:3 which when put on the time line shows black bands each side. To loose these I scale the clip by 135% (I think thats the figure). The advantage of this is if the framing is a bit out I have the option of being able to move the clip up or down to get it right.

There we go thats how I have done it right or wrong. Have been please with results so far.

Dale Guthormsen January 19th, 2006 10:38 PM

thanks

Grazie and Mick,

thanks for the info, I guess that is just what i will be doing as I finish my current project. I was hoping there might be an easier way, but then i will learn more if I do it the method mentioned here, eh?

gus