DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Eject Problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/61223-eject-problem.html)

Paul Bravmann February 21st, 2006 03:43 PM

Eject Problem

so this isn't the dreaded "remove cassette error" i've read about here, but it does have me worried.

every now and then, when i open the door to the tape transport after shooting, nothing happens. no whirring of motor, no spring-loaded ejecting of tape.

so far i've been able to simply close and reopen the door, and it'll cough up the cassette, but that doesn't alleviate the uneasy feeling that something isn't quite right.

anybody else experience this?

if so, did you figure out the reason for the problem/find a solution?

is this maybe the precursor to the "remove cassette error?"

thanks,
phb

Jean-Francois Robichaud February 21st, 2006 04:10 PM

I have this issue also. In my case, it happens after I install the battery, but before I turn the camera on. It always works on the second try though. I don't remember this happening with the camera is already on.

I had the tape transport replaced 2 months ago because of the REMOVE THE CASSETTE error. I have no idea if there is a relation.

David L. Holmes February 21st, 2006 10:56 PM

Hello my name is Dave, and I also suffer from lack of ejection...

My camera will sometimes do exactly what you describe. I have not attributed the problem to a replaced battery or something. As soon as I reclose and open the tape cover, the camera works fine. This is a very minor problem, and I could very easily say that it is probably in the microprocessor that monitors the door open switch. I've had enough problems with computers to know that they are very temperamental and easily confused. Unlike our brains, a microprocessor cannot recognize a potential problem and correct itself. You simply have to reset it and start again. This is not Canon's fault.

Leo Pepingco February 22nd, 2006 12:40 AM

I dont belive this is NOT Canons fault.

If this problem only happens with GL/XM2's then there is a serious problem with the model, and therefore, it is canon's fault.

It would not be canon's fault if they were using a third party to make the tape door, or if it happened will modles of cameras cross product and brands, or if it only occurs through misuse of the camera. I doubt it is the later.

Like the Remove cassete error, this ejecting problem is very much Canon's problem, and they have to fix it, despite thier lack of written material that explains why this happens to a large majority of GL/XM2's.

As I have expressed in the "Remove Cassette error" post, I do not believe that a problem that can be worked around is not considered a minor problem, it is a problem that Canon must fix, and I do not support the need to find ways around technological problems that could have been fixed long after the release of such and such camera.

Its been 3 years already since the release of the XM/GL2 and frankly, the support from Canon has only been superficial at most. I mean, the XL series has had multitudes of frimware updates that you can get from the website, and lots of hardware releases. The XM series has at most, an FAQ on the canon website. Still.... heres to hoping.

Mike Donley February 22nd, 2006 08:21 AM

Two Things at One Time

I, too, have had this happen. But it has always been when I did something else and then asked the camera to eject the tape at almost the same time. The camera cannot do two things at one time. Example, if I change a battery and ask the camera to immediately eject a tape, it won't happen because the camera is still trying to respond to the insertion of the battery.

Just my take on the issue.

David L. Holmes February 23rd, 2006 08:50 PM

As per the Not Canons Fault...

What you hold in your hand is an extremely advanced microprocessor driven complex electronic devise. I am always amazed at the actual reliability and accuracy of such a creation. The microprocessor is far from perfect; actually it is quite an unreliable piece of crap if you compare it with nature (as in our brains). Canon is only using the microprocessor because there is no other better device that can be crammed into such a small package. Sure you could wire the door switch to a relay, then to a bank of mechanical motors and switches that can drive the eject mechanism, but that would be a much larger device, and people would complain about the size and weight of the camera. So to clarify myself, Canon is simply working within the boundary of what they have available, and I have no complaints about any device that I have to fix by just resetting the system. As for the condensation issue and the rewind issues, sorry no matter what camera you buy, you will have problems with something or another, there is NO PERFECT CAMERA! My only problem so far with my GL2 was the rebate problem, and that was resolved. The technology today is reaching farther and farther into what was considered impossible only a few years ago. If you want the latest and greatest, and want to spend as little money as possible, you may not get the best, but you will get good enough.

Just my two cents....