DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Opinion - Matching GL-2 and Optura (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/63009-opinion-matching-gl-2-optura.html)

Mike Cavanaugh March 16th, 2006 01:21 PM

Opinion - Matching GL-2 and Optura

Contimplating a multi camera shoot using 2 GL-2s for medium and close up shots and wondering about using an Optura, in a fixed location for a wide shot. The set will be interior, probably lit with daylight bulbs (Client wants windows to show) or if I have my way, tungsten. In either case, it should be well lit.

Do you think the Optura wide shots will mix well with the GL-2s?

Jason Robinson March 17th, 2006 02:09 AM

Camera mixing

I was wondering something along those lines because my next wedding will most likely involve a GL2 and a 2nd camera. The second camera is what is up in the air and I was hoping to research a setup similar to what you mentioned.... high ends to do the heavy lifting, and a lower end to stil in the back for a wide angle shot when needed for cuts, etc.

jason

Marco Leavitt March 17th, 2006 12:19 PM

I'm working with Mike on this project. It is an Optura 60.

Robert M Wright March 17th, 2006 01:14 PM

I've never touched an Optura 60 (I do have an Optura 20, but that's a different CCD). My guess would be that you might want to crank down any detail enhancement settings that might be available on the Optura 60 (experimenting is obviously the key). If the 60 performs similarly to a 20, I think you should be able to boost saturation in post to match a GL2 pretty well without inducing a ton of grain (I'm assuming the GL2 will produce noticeably richer color saturation). If boosting saturation in post from the Optura does result in noticeably more grain than the GL2, some gentle noise reduction (spatial and temporal) could ease that a little.

Dale Guthormsen March 17th, 2006 11:46 PM

2nd camera

This is an intersting post.

I have a digital 8 for a second camera and it is only useful if you are outside or have really good lighting indoors.
I have been considering a second camera and was wondering if anyone has thought about a 3ccd panny 150, 250 or 400?? They should give better overall color and outstanding stills.

of course if your spending over a grand you may as well go for a second highend camera, even if it is used, eh??

any thoughts???

Dale

Robert M Wright March 18th, 2006 08:35 AM

The best bang-for-the-buck 3 1/3" CCD "pro" camera I know of is the JVC GY-DV300U. They can be purchased, used, often in almost new condition, for well under $1500. I got mine for under a grand, with only 20 hours on the drum. For shooting 4:3 SD, there's no way I'd consider trading it for one of the Panasonic consumer 3 chippers.

Robert M Wright March 18th, 2006 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen
This is an intersting post.

I have a digital 8 for a second camera and it is only useful if you are outside or have really good lighting indoors.
I have been considering a second camera and was wondering if anyone has thought about a 3ccd panny 150, 250 or 400?? They should give better overall color and outstanding stills.

of course if your spending over a grand you may as well go for a second highend camera, even if it is used, eh??

any thoughts???

Dale

Aside from low resolution CCDs (on most Digy8s), a huge problem (I would think), for matching with video shot with a "pro" camera, would be the lack of anything but automatic white balance in the Sony Digy8s (I think maybe some of the Hitachis had a white balance locking option).