DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   secondary camera recommendations (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/6392-secondary-camera-recommendations.html)

Linc Kesler January 27th, 2003 05:09 PM

secondary camera recommendations

I'm a very happy user of the GL2 for recording oral histories. My field kit includes a GL2, and a couple of Sony ECM-44b lavalier mics and a Studio 1 Pro interface box. For what I do, this works great: I especially like all the manual controls on the GL2, and the clean and controllable audio.

I will soon be sending 4th yr university students out on similar projects and am curious as to what people might recommend for cameras a little further down the food chain (less expensive, that is). It's not out of the question that the results students get may get archived and used, so quality is not a small issue, especially audio quality. 3 CCD video is less a priority. Anyone have exerience or recommendations? I'm assuming that manual audio may not be found much in the sub GL2 world, but are there usable cameras for what I have described?

Thanks for any input.
Linc Kesler

Jeff Donald January 28th, 2003 11:46 PM

The Canon Optura Pi is a fine camera, the Canon ZR series are fairly rugged. Sony DV1000 are older 3 chip models. Are you looking for new or used and what is your budget

Dylan Couper January 29th, 2003 12:31 AM

Audio quality on any lower priced camcorder will be greatly enhanced by an external microphone, whether or not you have the manual adjustments.

I bought a ZR40 as a "fun" camera and to use as a DV deck, and am very happy with it in terms of feeling and ease of use. Since my "work" camera is an XL1, I wanted something as small as possible. That may not be a priority for you. Best of all, it was about $500 new.

Linc Kesler January 29th, 2003 02:52 PM

Thanks for the replies. Have either of you used these cameras with external mics, & if so, how were the results? I know a little about the Sony DV 1000, but wonder whether it suffers from the same noisy audio circuitry as the TRV 900 and the VX 2000. I think I could go either new or used, but new might make for an easier grant application. So far I've been using lavalier mics in my own work, but I'm also curious as to people's experience with shotguns in an interview situation. The lavs give a clear and fairly intimate feel (Sony ECM44b, which is more or less omnidirectional).

Linc Kesler

Steve Nunez January 29th, 2003 05:49 PM

for $1200 (3CCD)

The Panasonic EZ-50 3 CCD Digital Video camcorder offers precise image quality and color accuracy. The superior quality digital video resulting from higher horizontal resolution, yielding sharper picture detail and component color sampling, preserves more color information than analog. This camcorder incorporates a Leica Dcomar lens, enabling you to capture images with amazing detail, producing an incredibly high-resolution picture.

Key Features

•_ Video
DV format offers up to 500 lines of horizontal resolution and significantly higher S/N ratio to provide stunning Video performance.
•_ Three CCD
This feature enables your camcorder to capture images with amazing detail, producing an incredibly high-resolution image.
•_ Leica Dicomar Lens
The high-quality lens, manufactured by world renowned lens maker Leica, captures crisp detail and true-to-life colors. So you'll always have great looking video and still images.
•_ Built-In Digital Still Camera
The still mode is capable of capturing crystal-clear still images of up to (1488 x 1128) resolution. The high picture quality images are stored on a removable multimedia or SD (Secure Digital) memory card that is independent of the video recording.
•_ PCM Digital Stereo Sound
12/16-bit audio: 16-bit offers one set of stereo tracks and achieves the same quality as CD, while the 12-bit mode creates two sets of stereo tracks. Audio dub is possible when recorded in 12-bit mode.
•_ Analog Input
Allows you to record into the camcorder all of your memories recorded in the analog format, by allowing you to archive them on a Mini DV tape.
•_ Zoom
Equipped with an optical zoom that magnifies the image up to 10x by increasing the focal length of the lens. This feature acts like a telescope to produce closeup shots with extraordinary clarity, and with the 120x digital zoom you will be able to bring the objects up to 120x closer by electronically magnifying the images.
•_ 3-Way PC Link
Gives you three convenient ways to transfer still images to the computer: Card Link, i.Link (IEEE-1394) and Photovu Link.
Card Link: With a Multimedia card or with the optional removable SD (Secure Digital) card you can capture still images and then transfer them to a computer.
i.Link (IEEE-1394) FireWire: Using the industry standard IEEE-1394 PC interface, it allows you to connect the digital camcorder to a compatible computer for advanced editing. Also allows you to produce duplicate copies of your recordings without any loss in picture quality with similarly equipped camcorders or VCRs.
Photovu Link: Allows you to transfer still images captured on the Mini DV tape by connecting the camcorder to the computer with the optional RS-232C Serial cable.
•_ Mega Optical Image Stabilization System
(OIS) Eliminates image shake due to a wide range of movement and/or high wind conditions. It corrects camera shake instantly so even hand-held shots, at full telephoto, and shots taken from a moving car, are smooth and steady. And since it is optical, there is no loss of image quality as with electronic image stabilizers
•_ 3.5-inch LCD Color Monitor
Provides excellent viewing clarity in full vivid colors. Rotates 270 degrees, allowing you to hold the camcorder at many different angles.
•_ Color Viewfinder
The color viewfinder provides excellent viewing clarity, so you can see the recording in full vivid colors.
•_ 5-Mode Program AE
Auto Exposure: You can prepare your camcorder for almost any recording condition by using the following automatic exposure settings:
* Sports Mode: Ideal for sporting events and other fast paced action.
* Portrait Mode: Focuses on the main subject of the image and leaves the background slightly out of focus by changing the depth of field.
* Low Light: Preserves the mode of dim light settings without altering picture brightness.
* Spot Light: Neutralizes the additional brightness created by a spot light.
* Surf & Snow: Compensates for excessive illumination from sun glare, to produce a clear picture.
•_ Zoom Mic
As you zoom in on the picture, the audio will also zoom in, so that you can pinpoint distant sound emanating from your subject.