DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon GL1 DV Cam (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/70744-canon-gl1-dv-cam.html)

Eric Jackson July 3rd, 2006 08:27 AM

Canon GL1 DV Cam

I believed my GL1's firewire port is fried now the camera doesn't power on can this be fixed?

Chris Hurd July 3rd, 2006 08:40 AM

Hi Eric, welcome to DV Info Net. I've moved your post from the Open Discussion forum to our GL1 / GL2 area. Your camcorder can probably be fixed, but you'll need to send it to Canon Service. Here's their contact info:

Canon Factory Service
Attn: XL1 Service
100 Jamesburg Road
Jamesburg, NJ 08831
tel: 732-521-7007

Dan Naygeboren July 6th, 2006 07:55 AM

Firewire port

Experienced the same problem a while ago. It can be a result of a short occurring when you hook up the GL1 to the computer. Had 3 occassions before I changed the firewire connection. I suggest you get an independent port not one on board.

It can be fixed . the whole logic board has to be replaced. Very costly about 900.00

Unless you have a warranty I would get an inexpensive capture camera and use that to capture with.

Sorry for the bad news ...

Devin Anderton July 12th, 2006 02:02 PM

Sorry to hear that!

Eric,

Just curious...

When did the problem happen? Did you happen to plug in the camera to your computer while it was turned on or was the computer turned off when you plugged in the camera?

Lisa Shofner August 24th, 2006 08:54 AM

Same issue perhaps

I just tried to hook my GL1 up via firewire last night and my computer wasn't seeing it at all. Sounds like I have the same issue happening.

I wasn't planning on downloading from that camera anyway, so it's not a huge deal that I can't. I have another deck to use that works fine hooked up to the PC. Everything else on the camera seems to work fine.

$900 to fix the firewire issue? Definately not worth it to me.

K. Forman August 24th, 2006 09:02 AM

Ports on a PC can also go bad. I had that happen twice with my Canopus DV Storm card. The easiest way to find the culprit, is a 2nd camera. Hook it up via
1394 cable to the other camera's 1394. Set one to camera and the other to vcr. If none of them work, it might be the cable.

Lisa Shofner August 24th, 2006 09:14 AM

After I couldn't get the computer to recognize the GL1, I hooked up my other miniDV camera to test if it was the cable or card.

The other camera worked fine, so I'm guessing it is the port in the GL1 that isn't work - unfortunately.

K. Forman August 24th, 2006 09:23 AM

That still leaves room for a driver error on the PC. Try camera to camera to be positive.

Lisa Shofner August 24th, 2006 09:37 AM

That's a good point. I'll try that tonight. Thanks for the suggestion.

K. Forman August 24th, 2006 10:44 AM

Yes, there are always more ways to screw up something, and it isn't always the most obvious reason. Had some funky stuff happen with my Rebel not being seen, nothing really mechanical, just sw/driver issues.

Don Palomaki August 25th, 2006 03:38 AM

On some system the GL1 will be seen only if the GL1 is connected and turned on before the PC is turned on. Worth a try if you have not already.

Mike Donley August 25th, 2006 07:13 AM

Avoid This

A general caution is to always shut down the PC and the camera before connecting or disconnecting via firewire. Then boot up the PC and camera in the order that works for you.