DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   GL-2 audio cuts out with VL-3 Light on (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/75901-gl-2-audio-cuts-out-vl-3-light.html)

Trig Simon September 20th, 2006 01:21 PM

GL-2 audio cuts out with VL-3 Light on

I have (3) Canon GL-2 and (2) VL-3 3-watt lights that feed from the hot shoe. In any combination of camera/light, I have a problem with the audio cutting in and out when the light is turned on. I have paid Jamesburg NJ Canon Factory Service twice ($540) to find the problem, and since, realized the cause was the light. I just ordered a new light to see if it does the same thing before I send it back.

Has anyone exprerienced this or heard of this problem. It has messed up 3 weddings, two of them during the toasts (both cameras using VL-3).
It doesn't matter whether it is on auto or manual mode.

Thanx
Trig

Graham Bernard September 20th, 2006 03:23 PM

I've got the VL-3 - somewhere - that really sucks. Could be one of the tiny connectors.

What I'd really like to know is , eh, how close were you to the speakers to have the VL-3 become effective? Just trying to imagine you . . did you add GAIN too?

Trig Simon September 20th, 2006 09:11 PM

How close with Canon VL-3 3-watt light

The Canon VL-3 light, only 3 watts is very effective at up to 10 ft. You may not realize the impact, but it does fill in the shadows even slightly.

A brighter light is obtrusive to people on a dark dance floor. Even this light will get squints from unexpected guests.

David L. Holmes September 21st, 2006 02:18 AM

Scary thought, I just purchased the VL-3 light for my GL2. I'll have to keep an eye out for this one. Did you monitor the sound with a set of headphones while you were taping? I would be curious if the sound comes through on the phones, but didn't get recorded...

Hank Freeman September 21st, 2006 03:12 PM

I have exactly the same issue. In my case, if i'm paying attention, I pull the light out, put it back in and most times it will correct. It's a bummer of a problem.

Trig Simon September 21st, 2006 05:22 PM

Monitor sound on Headphones

David,

Yes, monitoring with headphones indicates the dropped audio, along with the audio meter. I will post what happens when I use a brand new VL-3 light.

Thanx for your input.

Trig

David Ennis September 25th, 2006 06:00 PM

Since the GL2 hot shoe can also power and directly accept a signal from their optional DM-50 microphone, and since using that microphone cuts out the internal mic, I'm not too surpised that the camera gets its signals crossed (no pun intended) sometimes when using the light.

You should be using an external mic that plugs into the mic jack. Besides gaining immunity from this problem, you'll get MUCH better audio. The internal mic's quality is way too low for weddings.

Trig Simon September 25th, 2006 07:23 PM

VL-3 and GL-2

Thanx Fred,

I just rec'd a new VL-3 light and it works fine. So the two old VL-3 must have a bad switch in it, so I am sending them in for repair.

Thanx
Trig