DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Fixed Mic for GL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/7859-fixed-mic-gl2.html)

Bob Flynn March 19th, 2003 10:04 AM

Fixed Mic for GL2

Similar to a previous wireless mic question in this forum, but specific to "fixed" mics. I have a new GL2 with the XLR mount accessory shoe. What good quality cardioid mics would someone recommend to improve the range and quality of the native mic on the camera???
Grazie!

Don Palomaki March 19th, 2003 07:22 PM

Different mics for different purposes/methods. What are you planing to record?

Bob Flynn March 19th, 2003 07:33 PM

Primarily interviews and focus groups

Graham Bernard March 20th, 2003 01:18 AM

Grazie Here!

You can go along way down this route with the Senni MK66 - However, depending on the ambient sound that is "confusing" what your target is saying - noisy streets, noisy pubs/clubs, passing cars etc. - I 've been reading posts that suggest a "separate" hand-held or boom held mic. Of course this means you require the assitance of a sound chappy, unless you mount the camera on a tripod, or you are an octopus!

As Don says- "Different mics for different purposes/methods. What are you planing to record?"

Take a look at the regular news gathering you see on our streets - plenty of that at the moment! - and recognise the extent the news teams go to to get the audio collected - yeah?

I suppose what you need to do is "Test 'n Try" before you buy. Square this up against what you need. I'm of the "Buy it and Try it!" see if you can organise a hire option to test some options. See if your local Shoppe will alow you to test stuff in the shop - I did!
As to, "What good quality cardioid mics would someone recommend to improve the range and quality of the native mic on the camera???" INMHO I think you have your wires crossed and in the "wrong socket" ;-)

1 - To some extent, you can "improve" the quality of the onboard mic by using one of the 3 audio templates - WInd, etc etc Might be enough for what you want to do - yeah?

2 - Using the MA300 adaptor you can't improve the on board mic with the use of any secondary mics at all! The hot shoe knocks it out. You can add a secondary mic in the hotshoe and plug it into ONE channel - that's it. One could then use another ambient type mic and record it to the OTHER channel.

3 - Are you asking if one can "add" a secondary mic to the "Mic Input" thereby adding extra quality to the exsisting on board mic? Shed some more light on this please. I think you are saying that if you use a Cardoid mic - will this "improve" the resulting quality of the "recorded" audio - overall. Is this it?

Sorry if I haven't got the "gist" of your original post - but I'm known for being a bit "low-light" !

Graham "Grazie" Bernard

Bob Flynn March 20th, 2003 11:27 AM

Graham, Thanks for the reply.
On item 2 - Yes I was aware that the MA300 would knock out the on board mic. I guess my question is, is an aftermarket mic like the Senn ME-66 measurably superior to the on board mic in general and for interviews(indoor) in particular.

On item 3 - No I wasn't thinking about augmenting the fixed mic. Just looking at alternatives since most on-line discussions I've read about the GL2 seem to recommend upgrading the on board mic. However your comment in 2 raises an intersting thought. When doing focus groups, a case can be made for having both a shotgun mic as well as an on table, omni-directional mic. (the focus groups are usually 8-12 folks sitting at a large conference table). If you have any ideas about non-wireless mics for that purpose that would be great.

Small note, I took a cursory look at the Sennheiser ME-66 yesterday and interestingly it doesn't fit the MA300 mount (too thin), while easily adapted with a piece of foam, it's still suprising that Canon didn't factor that in to the MA300 design.
Thanks again for your help,
Bob

Graham Bernard March 20th, 2003 12:24 PM

"it's still suprising that Canon didn't factor that in to the MA300 design." Oh reallyy! ;-)

I've got the Senni ME66 - neat sound! Yes, I've got a pice of motor car innertube holding it snug. Yeah, the point 3 IS worth considering.

Aaron Rosen March 22nd, 2003 09:39 AM

MA-300

Going back to point #3 from above - Does anyone know of a mic that would fit the MA-300?

I have Azden and it is too thin, and does not work until I get my preamp... oh well.

Thanks all!