DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Sound problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/78900-sound-problem.html)

Christian Mallari November 5th, 2006 01:12 AM

Sound problem

I just did video work of a tourist group in Israel.(GL2 camera) I use my wireless senheiser G2 and my audio technica at897 with self-made Fxlr to mini jack. there is a time I used the wireless and sometimes no chance to used wireless so I used my at897(cable connection) and I used headphone to monitoring the sound level. I figured out its ok by monitoring my sound. but when I captured in the adobe premiere pro2 the sound was captured to AT897 mic. was distorted and in the wireless is ok. I try to play the video to a TV the sound was fine. did I miss something about capturing the video in the program? any help and thanks in advance!

Chris
tel-aviv

Graham Bernard November 5th, 2006 01:29 AM

This could be so many things.

+ Cabling
+ Capture
+ Interference
+ BAd mic

. ..

But look, as this may have less to do with the actual camera, my opinion, I think you should post this rather in the NOW HEAR this forum? Yes?

At least there you will be able to call upon a potentially wider audio experience - yeah?

Christian Mallari November 5th, 2006 01:38 AM

I mean when I used the audio-technica AT897 was connected to the camera by cable. I used headphone and the sound is clear sound. why if I connect my camera to TV sound is ok. but when I captured in premiere pro2 the sound was distorted.

Chris
tel-aviv

Don Palomaki November 5th, 2006 08:03 AM

Distorted can mean many things. In what was was it distorted? Clipped, broken-up, missiing portions? Can you post a sample of the audio we can hear/see?

Christian Mallari November 5th, 2006 10:02 AM

the problem was the sound could hardly hear and also distorted. you can see the volume level was moving (premiere pro2) in a normal metering. I'm just wonder why when I play in the TV it has a sound good but when I captured in the premiere pro.2. you could hardly hear the sound. you now what site I can post in the web? thanks

Chris
tel-aviv

Don Palomaki November 5th, 2006 04:23 PM

If you just connect the XLR output from the AT mic to the XL1 using a simple XLR-to- stereo mini phone plug; e.g., tip to pin 2 and ring to pin 3, and sleeve to pin 1 (ground), you will have about equal and out of phase sound on the left and right channels. They may sound OK played to a stereo or earphones, they will cancel (or very nearly so) if mixed to mono as is often the case with simple TV sets, mono VHS VCRs, etc.

Christian Mallari November 6th, 2006 12:32 AM

Thanks to all! Don you are right. I figure out the connection I made to cable is mono which is I know is mono. b'cos the setting in the program was stereo that's why the sound very low and distorted. what I thought is even you set in the stereo and add some mono audio it will work but did not. what I did is I set AUDIO to mono. now its done what I record. my question now is I want to change my cable connection. I want to make it clear more.

here's what I did in my connection. I have only cable unbalance which is two wire inside the cable.

I connect the white to TIP(pin3)3.5mm to XLR pin2 and SLEEVE (pin1) to XLR pin3. what is your suggestion is what I want to do only my problem I can not fine balance cable a bit thin all are thick. anyway I try to fine one. so I need to connect the TIP (pin2)3.5mm to XLR pin2 and RING (pin3) 3.5mm to XLR pin3 and SLEEVE (pin1) to XLR pin1 (ground) is that correct? are you sure for that? I'm just want to make it sure. thanks in advance

Chris
tel-aviv

Graham Bernard November 6th, 2006 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christian Mallari
I figure out the connection I made to cable is mono which is I know is mono.

Chris? You hadn't previously said you had made your own cabling connections? How long is your unbalanced XLR cable?

Christian Mallari November 6th, 2006 08:16 AM

sorry fo not making clear to you Graham, the length of the cable only 12inch. only b'cos for unbalance it should not longer than + - 20 feet?

David Ennis November 6th, 2006 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christian Mallari
...so I need to connect the TIP (pin2)3.5mm to XLR pin2 and RING (pin3) 3.5mm to XLR pin3 and SLEEVE (pin1) to XLR pin1 (ground) is that correct?...

No, that's the wiring that would apply cancelling signals to each channel. The correct wiring to take a mono signal from an XLR mic and apply it to both channels of the camcorder is XLR pin 2 connected to both tip AND ring of the mini plug, and XLR pins 1 and 3 both connected to the sleeve.

Don Palomaki November 6th, 2006 04:13 PM

The 20 feet cable length issue is mainly for high impedance microphones - you start to get significant high frequency loss due to capicatance in the cables. With low impedance mics such as the AT897, the main issue with length is increased potential to pick up electrical noise when unbalanced that may be present where you are shooting.

If making a mono XLR-to-stereo mini phone input adapter.
Connect XLR pin 1 (ground) and XLR pin 3 (- side) to the sleeve.
Connect XLR pin 2 (+ side) to both the tip and ring.
This will put equal signals on each channel.

Christian Mallari November 15th, 2006 08:04 AM

Thanks to all and I figured out all now. Don, what I did is I connect the XLR pin2 to Mini TIP and the XLR pin3 to Mini RING and the XLR pin1 to Mini SLEEVE and works both channel and I can control the volume for both channel independently. anyway the problem I figured out is I need to set Mono when I make new project to premiere pro2. but now the connection I made like stereo. the stereo setting is not problem anymore. I can hear loud and clear.