DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Dual battery charger and holder in one (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/8888-dual-battery-charger-holder-one.html)

Charles King April 22nd, 2003 10:22 PM

Dual battery charger and holder in one

Does anyone have this setup? The Dual battery charger and holder in one. I've been looking for a pic of this setup to get an idea how it will attach to the camera. The XL-1 uses this and I've seen how it is setup but I havn't seen any pics of the GL-2/XM-2

Chris Hurd April 22nd, 2003 10:33 PM

That's the CH-910. When used with the GL2, it doesn't attach to the camera. There's a belt clip on the CH-910 and the power coupler cable is long enough for you to "wear" the 910 while using it with the GL2. Hope this helps,

Charles King April 22nd, 2003 10:41 PM

Thanks Chris. It would have been nicer and more slick if it had been attached to the camera itself. Though all is not lost. I'll probably come up with something to make that happen. :)

Charles King April 23rd, 2003 01:24 AM

Chris, If you take a look at my link you'll see the various design system I trying to achieve. Now the battery support at the back of the shoulder support system is what I am trying to incoporate into the system. That is what I am aiming for with the dual battery charger. I just wanted you to get an idea of what I was doing.

http://homebuiltstabilizers.com/char...ldsupport.html

Graham Bernard April 23rd, 2003 03:17 AM

WOW! A true designer!! Charles The Star!

That is just Tooooooo excellent! - I gotta git me one of these!

Some questions - yeah?

I see you need "both" hands to "hold" this rig.

1 - How do you get to the Focus Ring?

2 - How do you get to all the other controls?

3 - Do you "just" use the flip out LCD? - Power drain???

4 - As per 3, you don't use the eyepiece? I reeallly like using the eyepiece.

5 - Security or safety with just the tripod screw? I presume the "plate" takes the strain and the cammy really is just being carried?

Any thoughts on doing a LANC ext to one of the "handles" for Zoom and Focus [does the XM2 do focus through the LANC?]

Hey! Excellent design! - Me wanna One NOW!

Grazie

Charles King April 23rd, 2003 03:53 AM

Thanks for the positive comment Graham. I'll see if I can answer all your questions:

1 - How do you get to the Focus Ring?

I have a LANC controller

2 - How do you get to all the other controls?

Are you refering to the camera setup buttons? If you are still refering the focus and zoom then I've answered your question.

3 - Do you "just" use the flip out LCD? - Power drain???

So far, I'm using the lcd monitor, hence the extra battery support.
I too like using the eyepiece but This method will have to do until my brain can figure something out.

4 - As per 3, you don't use the eyepiece? I reeallly like using the eyepiece.

I still do, depending on the shots I need to achieve. This is my first dv-own camera. So I'm still getting use to it.

5 - Security or safety with just the tripod screw? I presume the "plate" takes the strain and the cammy really is just being carried?

The base is screwed into the monfrotto sliding plate at two points underneath. So it's pretty safe to handle. This gives it it's stability. The other pic showing just the back piece and the camera just has the one screw in, but it's pretty light.

Any thoughts on doing a LANC ext to one of the "handles" for Zoom and Focus [does the XM2 do focus through the LANC?]

I'm sure the XM-2 does it all by LANC

The whole idea of trying to get the look you see is to make this small camera look like one helluva pro camera. I want people to look and say; hey, what's going on... are you planning on shooting a movie here?... And practically that's almost the kinda reponse I get. People are just blown away by all the gadget that they forget to see the actually camera as it is. A small dv prosumer camera. :)

Charles King April 24th, 2003 02:41 AM

Graham, just to update you on most of the questions you asked. I've just added more pics of the system without the camera and included the mattebox combi. Both plates are fasten together so there are no glitches to worry about. I've also added a LANC control on the handle for easy access for the controls.
I think I'm close enough to making this set up look pro. Just a couple of things I need to finish up. :)

Chris Hurd April 24th, 2003 07:59 PM

Charles!

This is very cool and I'd love to put it on the GL2 Watchdog site. Can I use those images for that purpose? I'm thinking it'll go into the Articles section. You've done a great implementation here; good work!

Ken Tanaka April 24th, 2003 10:01 PM

That looks like an impressive piece of design and workmanship, Charles! Very inventive.

Charles King April 24th, 2003 11:49 PM

Thanks guys. Go ahead and use whatever you wish Chris. I'll be honored. Thank you kindly.

BTW, I was thinking what you guys were saying about selling my services. I'm giving some serious thought about building something similiar and marketing it. Mind you it will only be build on request/order. I have to start small and see what it takes me. I'm thinking of starting with just the basic kit. This will include the plate, rods and handle combi as this is the simpliest to get off the ground. The rods will be able to rotate to get the best handling posssible. Similiar like on the XL- series or film cameras. It will require some machinery for the handles, if I don't find any other easier alternative.
I don't know if I should include the sliding mechanism, but most people have that already, I guess. Any way. Let me know what you guys think.

This model will be a dedicated GL-1/GL-2 models. Of course, other miniDV brands will work but just to clarify that this model will be centered around the GL models. That's because, it is the camera I have.

Aaron Rosen April 25th, 2003 09:57 PM

WOW! Love the rig, and yes, you got the total is that a pro camera reaction from me too. =)

My 1st question would be how much?

The 2nd question would be, can you add some pics with EVERYTHING attached. Add the mic to your MA-300, any wireless systems, a light and who knows what else.

I need something to aspire to. = )

Charles King April 25th, 2003 10:59 PM

Hi there Aaron. Thanks for the sudden reaction :)

"My 1st question would be how much?"

Do you mean for the my entire contraption or the one I am thinking of manufacturing?

"The 2nd question would be, can you add some pics with EVERYTHING attached"

Unforfunately I don't have all the other peripherals as I just got the camera. I bought the MA-300 after two weeks.
As of now I sent my camera back because there was something loose inside. It sounded like a screw or something. Everything worked fine but I wasn't going to take the chance if it had gotten tangle in the pinch rollers or something.
Anyway, should get it back, hopelly next week but what you see in the rest of the pics is pretty much the accessories I have at teh moment. When I do put together enough funds I'll get the rest.

Aaron Rosen April 25th, 2003 11:44 PM

Well I must say that I was floored by the thing. It is very cool, and I admire your ability to craft something so fine.

Wondering how much it cost to build and the one you are thinking about manufcturing, so both.

Since I still have a LOT to learn about things, I wanted to know why you chose such a large mat box as oposed to the stock lense cover?

I have the WD-58h and would be using that for all the shooting. I personally like the lens flair when shooting since my target is usually some sort of emergency equipment. It adds to the drama.

Thanks again.

Charles King April 26th, 2003 12:40 AM

Well Aaron, I had not planned it to look the way it does, it just happened and I liked it and decided to leave it the way it is. Frankly, I liked the widescreen look and the more combersome look. It makes people say, Damn! that looks like one serious camera. For me asthetics played a mojor role.

I take it you read which parts I am initiantly thinking of building. I havn't decided on a fixed price yet because because I'm, still scouting for the last piece to the project that will determine the price range. I'll also get a workshop time rate but that should be easy, after all, I know the guy. I'll let you know soon. One thing for sure, It'll cheaper than anything on the market.

Aaron Rosen April 26th, 2003 01:03 AM

DAMN! <-- That is the response any camera guy wants. Esp. if we are using something small. The customer would normaly say how can that little camera shoot anything good? No need to explain. Skip that process and go right to DAMN!

I have one, a stabelizer, in the works like a rip off of the glidecam and another a friend will start making that is much different and far more stable than anything out there and 1/2 the price.

When I get his ok to post the pics I will. It promises to be an incredable must have for any heavy movement shooting.

- AR

(srry about the bad spelling. I cat speil too safe mi lyfe)