DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Please help a newbie!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/9132-please-help-newbie.html)

Michael Prediger April 30th, 2003 07:08 AM

Please help a newbie!!!

Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie to the digital cinematography realm and am purchasing my first serious camera this week. I was thinking of buying the DVX100, but I realized that I'm never going to print to film, so maybe the GL2 would fit my needs. I'm so confused right now after weeks of comparing these cameras. I have a budget of $3500.00, and if I pick up the GL2, I'll have some money left over to put into my NLE, audio, etc.

I'm primarily interested in shooting documentaries and shorts. I know that the DVX shoots 24p and the GL2 doesn't. I really don't like the handling of the XL series cameras and the PD150 is overpriced in my opinion. So, basically, I'm just wondering if the GL2 is a good choice for me right now. If I really get into this and decide I need to step up later, I'll probably just bite the bullet and get into HD anyway.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated....

Michael

Graham Bernard April 30th, 2003 07:52 AM

24p - Film Look?

Ermmm . . . I might be right outta court on this one . . .BUT - Howzabout filming with GL2 and getting the film look - if that's what 24p gives you - in post production?

I've got and use the latest version of Sonic FOundry's stable VEGAS4!!! It's brilliant and becasue it is software driven no real need for dedicated rendering hardware - yeah? get to the SoFo website, see the vegas spec and visit the very friendly very helpful Vegas Forum - see yah there buddy!

Get the Canon GL2! Yeah I'm won over - and in love with it. Really neat cammy - ahhhhhhhh . . . .. . yes!

Grazie

Brad Higerd April 30th, 2003 10:25 AM

If it's any encouragement to you, I just ordered a second GL2. I believe there is not a finer new video camera available under $3,000.

Quick question to you Graham, what are the advantages of Vegas 4 over Vegas 3. I have come to trust your judgment and would like to know your impressions.

Brad

Jeff Donald April 30th, 2003 11:00 AM

Given you budget, the GL2 is a much better choice in my opinion. You will need money for accessories. Use the search function and you'll find plenty of recommendations on how to spend your money.

Glen Elliott April 30th, 2003 11:13 AM

Even if you WERE considering buying the XL1-S the GL-2 is still better if your not planning to change lenses. I'm sure you'll be quite happy with the picture quality- razor sharp images, and very saturated colors.

As far as working in post to make the footage more film-like...I only wish. I'm using a Pinnacle DV500 and it's proprietary NLE is Premiere. I'm spoiled by the realtime transitions, and color correction to go back to a totaly software driven suite. Besides Premier is all I know so I'll have to stick with it for now...even with all it's quirkiness.

Lastly with a budget of $3500 you might be hard-pressed to get a GL-2, NLE, aaaand audio. Audio is quite expensive unless you go with something lower-end. Also NLE suites are mighty expensive. Good luck though with whatever you choose.

Michael Prediger April 30th, 2003 11:34 AM

Thanks for the info...

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys, makes me feel better about my choice. As for budget, I already have a full-blown home recording studio, complete with mixers, mics, amps, preamps, etc...plus, I'm already set for the computer setup....dual xeon p4's with external firewire drives and dual 22" diamondtron monitors. I've already purchased Vegas Video 4.0, so I'm good to go on that front.

Buying the GL2 will give me the extra money I need to pick up a DVD burner and maybe some decent lav mics.

I'm ordering today!!! Thanks again guys!! Looking forward to posting some more questions once I get a chance to shoot with it....