DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   need opinions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/96588-need-opinions.html)

Andrew Ball June 15th, 2007 07:38 AM

need opinions

Ok I am looking to pick up a video camera to shoot small things for some companies. I am a professional photographer with some video background. I dont need the best camera but i need something better than your basic Sony Handycam.

I was looking at the GL2 and the Panasonic AG-DVC60. now they seem pretty similar i like the XLR ports on the back of the DVC. but I know that I can still use XLR mics with a GL2. I am just wondering whats going to sound better. the GL2 with the MA-300 and mics(for what I am shooting that seems like the best option) or even the beachtek thing which im not entirely sure how it works and all but i can figure it out probably. Or just get the DVC and some mics. Sound will play a moderate role in what i do. I will be shooting Motorsports, as well as a few small clips for some companies on thier website.

the only reason i am opposed to the DVC is its size. I also plan to use the camera for fun during the winter to film snowboarding and such to just play around with when i get bored of capturing things one frame at a time. I am trying to find some dimensions of the DVC now but i figured i would ask you guys. What do you think is the best option here? the GL2 is slightly cheaper to begin with but by the time i buy either the MA-300 and a mic or the beachtek and a mic i could of bought a DVC and a Mic. Id really like to pick up a AG-DVC30 but i cant find one any where.

I should probably include the VX2100 or PD170 in my hopping list though as well. a Used one can be had for the same price as the other cameras. But Sounds is important to me. So Built in XLR ports are a plus. but Video quality is also important and my budget is $2000

I hope you guys can help me out i have been trying to read reviews in some places but i haven't been able to find a comparison between the two. Hopefully you guys can points out a few pros and cons of the two.

Thanks

Philippe Messier June 15th, 2007 08:18 AM

Hi there,

The DVC30 has been discontinued a while ago,...you should be able to find one used though. I had a GL2 for a couple of months, great SD camera but if you are looking for one i would recommand to find a used one on this forum or elsewhere. It is probably not a good idea at that point to buy a DVC30 or a GL2 (or a VX2100) new because their values will drop down quickly... while HD is taking *slowly* the place.

Don t get me wrong,... i am not saying shooting SD is useless at that point not at all !! (more so if it is not for broadcast use). If i still had my GL2 at the moment i would most definitely stay with it for a year or so (i had to sell it to get money for a trip in India) BUT,...i would never buy one new now. Actually, i bought mine used 9 month ago for 1200 US $...

The point is,... if you want a get a SD camera now get it used since the price is already low for a good used SD camera. Do consider a extended warranty in the price...it remain the most significant difference between a new and a used camera.

As for the sound question,...there should be no reason why the beachtex adaptor box could have a problem with a GL2.

Good luck,

Philippe

Andrew Ball June 15th, 2007 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philippe Messier (Post 697148)
Hi there,

The DVC30 has been discontinued a while ago,...you should be able to find one used though. I had a GL2 for a couple of months, great SD camera but if you are looking for one i would recommand to find a used one on this forum or elsewhere. It is probably not a good idea at that point to buy a DVC30 or a GL2 (or a VX2100) new because their values will drop down quickly... while HD is taking *slowly* the place.

Don t get me wrong,... i am not saying shooting SD is useless at that point not at all !! (more so if it is not for broadcast use). If i still had my GL2 at the moment i would most definitely stay with it for a year or so (i had to sell it to get money for a trip in India) BUT,...i would never buy one new now. Actually, i bought mine used 9 month ago for 1200 US $...

The point is,... if you want a get a SD camera now get it used since the price is already low for a good used SD camera. Do consider a extended warranty in the price...it remain the most significant difference between a new and a used camera.

As for the sound question,...there should be no reason why the beachtex adaptor box could have a problem with a GL2.

Good luck,

Philippe

i planned to buy whatever i do get used. for my purposes there is no need for HD really, most of it will be used for web-based video. as well as a few other things. If i find i have more of a need for video in the future i would surely go into HD. Id love to pick up the XH-A1 but i cant afford it.

Andrew Ball June 18th, 2007 07:04 AM

thanks for all the help guys...................

Don Palomaki June 18th, 2007 08:07 AM

Web based video ... Streaming or download for later playback? What resolution, frame rate, and level of compression (data rate) do you plan to use?

Web video (e.g., utube) can be pretty gross quality wise, so any 3-CCD camcorder will probably do OK (and one -CCD may even be adequate), as long as you have adequate light. Go for the one you like the look, feel, and price of. Maybe Google for reviews on the machines too.

Audio may tends to be bad also due to high compression.

Keep in mind that video is not photo, motion (and plenty of it) is involved, so many of the "rules" change.

If you want a camcorder to do more serious or higher quality video, perhaps events, spots, etc. start by summarizing your capabilities and requirements and estimating your budget to meet those requirements.