Im kinda late to the party,,,,Canon XL 1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems

Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems
Canon XL H and XH Series HDV camcorders; Canon XL and GL Series DV camcorders.

Old September 14th, 2019, 09:47 AM   #16
Tourist

Re: Im kinda late to the party,,,,Canon XL 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Did you mean a Sony VAIO XP? If so, that'll do nicely.
Yes, got it all working this morning,
Sony V A I O
Got it.
Dan Alvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2019, 10:35 AM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

Outstanding. Keep us advised. Always happy to discuss the good 'ol XL1. It's what started this forum (eighteen years ago this month).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2019, 10:14 PM   #18
Major Player

As far as editing the DV footage, Adobe gave away the CS2 "Creative Suite Production Premium" several years ago. I paid $1100 for it on discount back when CS3 came out so it's a great deal. It includes Premiere Pro 2.0 which edits Mini DV footage great. The free download links were on their site.

I still have 3 firewire decks. Two for Digital 8 and one for Mini DV. Yes those type decks will use 1394 firewire. A good old computer should do the job as said earlier
David Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2019, 09:31 AM   #19
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Banner View Post
Adobe gave away the CS2 "Creative Suite Production Premium" several years ago.
Unless I'm mistaken, they didn't quite "give away" CS2, although the end result was about the same. They shut down the activation server for CS2, which made it impossible for registered users to re-install the software since it wouldn't recognize your serial number. So as not to lock out registered users of that old software, they still offered the installer as a download and posted a special serial number on their site that would activate any copy of CS2.

Somebody discovered this and word got out on various forums with instructions on how to get the software for free. So I don't think it was ever Adobe's intention to 'give away" CS2. I picked up a copy of Photoshop CS2 myself with this trick, but that was many years ago. I don't think Adobe still has this on their site today, but I could be wrong. :-)

Now, Photoshop CS2 has some very annoying bugs running on Windows 7, mostly related to disappearing/hidden windows and dialog boxes. Have never tried the other software in CS2, but you may find that it works best under Windows XP.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2019, 08:08 PM   #20
Equal Opportunity Offender

Adobe may or may not have learnt from that act of goodness that meant legit CS2 users wouldn't be stuck, and thus will never switch off authentication for CS6 users despite their wish to have everyone migrate to the software rental model.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2019, 09:43 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, they didn't quite "give away" CS2, although the end result was about the same. They shut down the activation server for CS2, which made it impossible for registered users to re-install the software since it wouldn't recognize your serial number. So as not to lock out registered users of that old software, they still offered the installer as a download and posted a special serial number on their site that would activate any copy of CS2.

Somebody discovered this and word got out on various forums with instructions on how to get the software for free. So I don't think it was ever Adobe's intention to 'give away" CS2. I picked up a copy of Photoshop CS2 myself with this trick, but that was many years ago. I don't think Adobe still has this on their site today, but I could be wrong. :-)

Now, Photoshop CS2 has some very annoying bugs running on Windows 7, mostly related to disappearing/hidden windows and dialog boxes. Have never tried the other software in CS2, but you may find that it works best under Windows XP.
My apologies. You are correct on all that and I had forgotten it was intended for those of us who had bought it originally.
Years ago I went ahead and downloaded all the software in case I ever needed to re-install it on my old Windows XP Matrox RT.X100 workstation. I also downloaded all the updates and patches and there were a lot for the whole collection.

Photoshop CS2 works good on my Wind 8.1 Laptop except sometimes the mouse pointer seems to disappear briefly. Don't know if it's an issue with the computer or software.
And I know someone who is running Photoshop CS2 on Win 10.

As far as CS6.... I've been using Adobe since 1999. As new cameras come out it's getting harder since Codecs are not supported so eventually I'll have to switch to different software but it won't be the Adobe rental.
David Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2019, 09:55 PM   #22
Equal Opportunity Offender

I'm sticking with XDCAM in addition to CS6. :-)

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2019, 11:09 AM   #23
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Banner View Post
Photoshop CS2 works good on my Wind 8.1 Laptop except sometimes the mouse pointer seems to disappear briefly.
That's interesting. On my Windows 7 desktop (with Intel HD6000 integrated graphics), dialog boxes sometimes don't appear and the program appears to be frozen. This mostly happens with the "Save" dialog. But the real problem is that the dialog box is hidden behnd the document window, and it's waiting for input so you can't do anything except press ESC to cancel the operation.

The other issue is that it doesn't seem understand how windows are managed. When you open the program, your document appears inside a main Photoshop window. But if you re-size the document, it can go outside the bounds of the main Window, and that is apparently related to the other problem.

Anyway, I don't use it much anymore. I have CS3 on my Mac laptop, which still works under Sierra, with a few bugs. On my other Mac, I bought a copy of Photoshop Elements since I don't need anything fancy. In the past, Photoshop Elements was exactly the same as the full version, but it didn't have a few advanced features that I didn't need anyway. But the new Photoshop Elements has been further "dumbed down" and I really don't like it.

Eventually I'll need to upgrade to a new version... probably soon. When I looked at their subscription pricing a couple months ago, I was not at all impressed. OTOH, Microsoft has a nice deal for Office 365 where you get 6 licenses for a $100/yr fee, and each user also gets 1TB of OneDrive space and can use Office on 5 different devices. Adobe doesn't come anywhere near this unfortunately...
Old September 8th, 2020, 04:26 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Not to be negative, but, I dont understand why you'd invest in a camera made to have its data captured via firewire when you dont have access to a computer with firewire. Granted the XL1 is a fantastic camera, but firewire is always and will always be the best way to capture... unless you have a DVCPRO HD deck like i do and capture via HD SDI into the computer which does a hardware based up res to 1080 which looks beautiful in its on right. :)

Best of luck though, hope you find a solution you're happy with :)
Michael Krumlauf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2021, 07:04 PM   #25
New Boot

yeah, I have a very very old laptop that I only use for transferring mini-dv video to the computer. I then transfer that file to my newer laptop.
Manny Felarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2021, 10:27 PM   #26
New Boot

yeah, I have a very very old laptop that I only use for transferring mini-dv video to the computer. I then transfer that file to my newer laptop. Then, with all the issues with the newer mini-dv tapes (it seems to record fine, but then, when I play it or try to bring the video into the computer, it would do the run-freeze for a second or two- run - freeze again for a second or two, and it keeps doing this indefinitely).I decided to buy an FS-CF DTE. Now it records to a CF card, and I am soooooo much happier. Still using the MINI-DV Canon cameras, no problem.
Manny Felarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2021, 07:02 PM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alvis View Post
My computers no longer have a firewire port. Lenovo All In One.
Dan.
Does your Lenovo all in one have a Thunderbolt port? If so I think all you will need is a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter cable from Apple or some third party one to be able to ingest your footage in its native DV digital format. With something like Scenalyzer which is now free with an activation code.

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2021, 06:25 AM   #28
Wrangler

FWIW, Dan hasn't been seen around here for a year and a half...
Old October 15th, 2021, 09:10 PM   #29
Trustee

Right...!

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2022, 09:31 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Not to be a broken record but, all these people getting into MiniDV (which honestly has me so happy as I feel the format still has potential in storytelling and cinematography) I always tell them, either capture firewire at the bare min or capture on a tape deck via HD-SDI. The whole capture system you can get for under $300 at this point. Buy an old mac pro from 2007 or 2008 and a copy of final cut pro 7 for $50 on ebay and you are set for the bare min. The AJA Kona 3G card and a Panasonic HD1400 deck would set you back another $600 or so.

The advantage to shooting DV is getting a somewhat more unique and organic look that modern day CMOS cameras can't replicate. With the advancements in software available to all of us for editing, up converting and color timing, we can now do things with the DV format that was no where near possible 15 years ago when all of us were running around with XL cameras or DVX100s, etc, etc.

Here's something I shot on the XL1s(NTSC) with the 3x Wide and Stock 16x Lens a few months back (the whole video is made up of xl1s footage, all the shots not in my living room with the multi color lights was taken by me in 2009)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems