DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Optura Junior Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-optura-junior-watchdog/)
-   -   Canon Optura 300-excellent!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-optura-junior-watchdog/21421-canon-optura-300-excellent.html)

Matthew Groff March 19th, 2004 05:15 PM

Raimo,

Check out the workprinter, if you haven't already, for this type of equipment. www.moviestuff.tv

I think that may be what you're interested in, as filming the gate while the film flickers through doesn't seem to me to be an ideal system for capturing film to digital.

mg

Brandt Wilson March 19th, 2004 06:28 PM

workprinter

Raimo,

I used to have a workprinter and can personally attest to the high level of quality you can achieve with the captures from it. I ran a small business of transferring film for the local film school, its students and local filmmakers. Everyone was thrilled with the results

Roger Evans, the inventor and builder, is very personable and responsive to questions, and he is very creative and enthusiastic about this field, which makes a huge difference to me.

Raimo Repo March 20th, 2004 09:51 AM

I am acquainted with Roger's work printer for film transfers but the lower end units still require a video camera for the transfers !! What I am trying to do is to find the best camera to do the job. My situation is that I just want to transfer my own films and it is not cost effective for me to purchase the work Printer just for that. The intent of my original posting was to get feed back on the use of the 300 in the still capture mode for this type of work to get the best possible quality of transfer to digital format. Thanks.

Tommy Haupfear March 20th, 2004 09:56 AM

Quote:

The intent of my original posting was to get feed back on the use of the 300 in the still capture mode...
I would also like to see some footage or frame grabs from this "unique" mode.

Johann? Anyone?

Filip Kovcin March 20th, 2004 08:52 PM

to Johann Adler

johan,

is it possible to you to send somewhere sample clips with different modes of your optura 300. i'm very curious to see these differences in "hidden" modes. especially when the others are thinking that this is not (progressive mode) the case here.

Johann Adler March 21st, 2004 11:50 AM

Hello everyone,

I'd be glad to share footage of these various modes, but I am very busy right now and I lent the camcorder to a friend. So in 1-2 weeks maximum, I will be able to do it.

Sorry to keep you in suspense.

Sincerely,

Dan Peterson March 26th, 2004 10:33 AM

Johann,

Any chance you have those sample clips yet? I'd love to see 'em before I pop for for the Optura 300...

Thanks,

Dan

Johann Adler March 26th, 2004 09:52 PM

Hi everyone,

I finally got a chance to grab some frames in the various modes. They are compressed in HQ JPEG. If someone really wants to see the PNG versions, I can do it later on a fast connection. But there isn't much difference.

Disclaimer: All shots were taken in the same half hour during the day under natural light (through window) in hand held, no frills shooting. Obviously I cannot simulate the exact situation in moving shots more than once. All footage was taken as is without levels correction. As I mentioned earlier, the photo modes use computer levels, so they look better in the frame grabs.

These frame grabs are not indicators of the Optura 300's quality. They are mearly able to show some differences between the various modes I explained about earlier. The true footage can look better or worse than these pictures...usually much better ;-)

Normal
-the normal 4:3 interlaced mode. This is a fairly fast pan shot.

16:9
-the 16:9 high resolution interlaced mode. Also in a fast pan shot

"Low Light" - 1/30 Shutter Speed
-the normal mode in "Low Light" AE mode -> 1/30 shutter speed. Also fast pan shot.

Photo
-the special photo mode explained earlier. Slow/moderate pan shot.

Photo2
-the same as above but a fast pan shot.

Photo 1/100 Shutter Speed
-the same special photo mode, but used in a 1/100 shutter speed. Almost still frame grab, except for hand shake.

Photo2 1/100 Shutter Speed
-same as above but a close up shot.

http://www.geocities.com/canonoptura...Optura300.html

I hope this helps everyone,

Edit: How do I make these links active so its easier for everyone?
Edit2: Thanks Guy
Edit3: Fixed link

Guy Bruner March 26th, 2004 10:05 PM

Quote:

Edit: How do I make these links active so its easier for everyone?
Enclose the links in [u r l]link[/ u r l] without the spaces.

Tommy Haupfear March 27th, 2004 01:16 AM

Johanna, the links seem to be deactivated by Geocities. They are not usually fond of linked file storage.

If you don't have another online photo storage option then email me and I will host them for you.

Guy Bruner March 27th, 2004 07:13 AM

And, as Tommy so kindly offered, you are welcome to post them in the Members Album on my website.

Frank Granovski March 27th, 2004 03:31 PM

I played with an Optura 300 a couple of days ago. It looked and felt like a nice piece of work---well-made. The only thing I didn't like was with holding it---feels awkward, and I had trouble keeping my fingers from covering the sensors in front. Nice cam though, and the price is right.

Johann Adler March 27th, 2004 08:58 PM

Hi Frank,

Those sensors are used for the remote, LED super low light mode, and ...

I can't remember what the third was for, but I am pretty sure its not used for regular shooting. So its not a problem. Also, after a few trials holding it is not a problem.

I also edited my above post. Geocities wants a homepage, so I gave them one :-)

Edit: Thanks Guy and Tommy for the offer.

Frank Granovski March 27th, 2004 09:10 PM

Thanks, Johann. Yes, that's what I was told by the salesperson, but where are the other sensors? They're not in front?

Jim Gauthier May 19th, 2004 08:48 PM

Johann Adler

Those test images taken in photo mode do indeed look like true progressive scan. The high shutter speeds show no "jaggies" and the low shutter speed gives a nice motion blur. I wonder if this will work with all Digic camcorders.