DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Shotgun question: time is of essence (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/104332-shotgun-question-time-essence.html)

Bob Kerner September 25th, 2007 09:22 AM

Shotgun question: time is of essence

Hello. I've been asked to produce a short piece that will require more than the built in mic on the HV 20. I have a wireless lav set up but the logistics of the piece make it impractical, I think. This is my first foray into anything that demands good audio.

I'll be filming 5-6 people in a hospital room doing a mock emergency response. I'm filming this "VJ" style; it's just me, no one to hold a boom mic or anything like that. I'm thinking that I need a shotgun mic but need some help narrowing the choices since I have to start in the next day or so.

What is my best selection here? Am I looking for the proper tool (shotgun) or is there something else I should consider?

I'd like a quality tool but am not looking for something that's more expensive than the camera it's attached to! or something that requires a bunch of adapter boxes that will get in the way.

I've heard of Rode, but don't know which model to look at. Canon, of course, has a product but I don't know anyone who's used it so can't make an informed decision about it.

Thank you in advance for your help and saving me the time of reading two dozens forum posts to get this info. Under ordinary circumstances, I'd read the posts but I'm pressed for a quick answer.

Bob

Adam Perry September 25th, 2007 09:41 AM

rode video mic or rode stereo video mic would be good bets....you can find some decent reviews online and on youtube.

Tip McPartland September 25th, 2007 10:29 AM

Rode NTG-2

I bought the Rode NTG-2 which can be powered with a AA battery in lieu of phantom. B&H sells a kit that includes a cable to adapt the mic's XLR to 1/8" which has the electronics (can't recall, but it's not just a cable adapter) to make the mic work.

For $35 Rode sells a "dead cat" that slips over the foam windscreen. It also comes with a shock mount. Very nice mic, I chose it over the video mic, but the video mic uses a 9v battery and it has longer battery life.

The NTG-2 is a bit longish for the camera too since the AA is carried in-line, and that is another advantage of the video mic which carries its 9v off to the side.

Tip

Jack Walker September 25th, 2007 11:19 AM

The Canon mic is the DM-50. I've heard tests comparing the sound to the Rode Videomic and it is virtually identical. It is powered off the camera body and connects through the shoe so there is no wire. Here is a link:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...arch&Q=*&bhs=t

Here is the Rode Videomic:

Here is the Rode NTG-2:

You can also use your wireless mic as a plant mic, that is, put it in the middle of the group, or mount it down a little above the waste on someone in the middle of the group. If everyone is facing the center, and the lavalier is an omni-directional mic, it might work very well this way. It's work a try.

You also might try hanging the lavalier over the center of the group. This could work very well.

You may want the little shotgun on camera for some of the video, but I would definitely think of ways you can use the lavalier when the people are in a group in the same spot.

Giroud Francois September 25th, 2007 01:12 PM

bring a firewire mixing table and as much wireless mic you need.
record each channel on a laptop, do the mix in post.
just use the camera mic to sync in post or if general ambient sound is required.
alesis got a firewire mix (the 12 channel) for about 270$
you can get a dual mic receiver with 2 lavallier emitter for about 220$.(the gemini UF-2064H)
for 6 people it drives you for less 1000$ and you get a nice setup to keep.
(the emetter can accept all kind of mic, so later you can use it on boom pole for example).

Tip McPartland September 25th, 2007 04:53 PM

Rode vs. Rode

There might be a bit of difference between the two Rode mics. I say "might" because for the HV20 the NTG-2 will probably be running off the AA battery, and the specs I'm going to quote might be for phantom power, usually better numbers. (Note: HV20 could be setup with XLR adapter that supplies phantom power)

Spec VideoMic NTG-2

Dynamic Range 114 dB 121 dB
Signal to Noise Ratio 74dB 76 dB
Maximum sound pressure 134 dB 139 dB
Frequency response 40 - 20,000 Hz 20 - 20,000 Hz
Price $149 $269

Clearly the biggest difference is the price! I didn't find any published specs for the Canon mic.

Tip

Slava Barouline September 25th, 2007 07:17 PM

I have Rode Stereo VideoMic and plan to buy NTG-2

Stereo VideoMic is perfect to shot indoors, but it has too wide pattern for outdoors and picks up a lot of background noise.

Didn't like VideoMic - it produced some crackling when I was moving my camera

Tip McPartland September 26th, 2007 01:00 PM

I bought NTG-2 too...

Slava,

I bought the NTG-2 for my HV20 and I'm very happy with it. I had ordered the Videomic but upon a bit of thought cancelled that order and upgraded to the NTG-2. I also have the Canon wide angle converter, and with that on the mic doesn't seem so much too big for the camera. It sounds very good.

Also it's worth getting the Rode furry wind cover, that it's not expensive and good to have in the kit.

Tip

Slava Barouline September 26th, 2007 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tip McPartland (Post 750396)
Slava,

Also it's worth getting the Rode furry wind cover, that it's not expensive and good to have in the kit.

Tip

I will be ordering NTG-2 next week, with a deadcat and a boompole bag
;-)

Do you use Rode Shock Mount SM3 with NTG-2?

Do you have an XLR adapter?
I plan to buy Beachtek a bit later, but first I want to try without it (will solder something)

Slava