DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   hg10 questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/108217-hg10-questions.html)

Chris Klidonas November 18th, 2007 01:24 AM

hg10 questions

My boss gave me one of these to play with because he loves it, So I figure its probably pretty good, he's picky.

Is there a way to turn any auto gain off? is there auto gain on at all?

Anyway to capture through firewire? I see usb connection and hdmi but maybe I missed it.

Anyway to connect it and copy from it without having to plug in the ac adapter, assuming there is a charged battery.?

incuded software any use? I use vegas, and he was nice enough to by me an upgrade from 7 to 8 with it, because he says you might need it is that true? Besides he wants me using what he uses so its all compatible.

I read that the 24 setting has no flags so I don't think vegas will treat it like a 24p file but if I capture with the included software does that do it? do I need another program, cineform has always had issues running on several of my machines so is there any other software that can do the capture to 24p? and if so anything relatively inexpensive?

Can you capture through the hdmi port and is it uncompressed? If so, is the intensity pro card able to capture it? or do you need a different card?

Anyway to shoot also to a firestore as a backup? or to a computer live?

And last for now, anyway to use this camera as a backup (firestore) to cature what I shoot with another camera like it was a firestore of sorts?

Chris Hurd November 18th, 2007 10:37 PM

Step One:

Read the manual that was included with the camcorder.
If you don't have it then download a .PDF copy from
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=15617

Quote:

Is there a way to turn any auto gain off? is there auto gain on at all?
There is auto gain, you can't turn it off, but you can trick
it into not activating by following the same tips for manual
exposure control that you'll find in our HV20 forum.

Quote:

Anyway to capture through firewire? I see usb connection and hdmi but maybe I missed it.
This is an AVCHD camcorder, therefore it does not have FireWire.

Quote:

Anyway to connect it and copy from it without having to plug in the ac adapter, assuming there is a charged battery?
Yes and it'll run until the battery gives out. So you're
much better off just using the included AC adapter.

Quote:

incuded software any use? I use vegas, and he was nice enough to by me an upgrade from 7 to 8 with it, because he says you might need it is that true? Besides he wants me using what he uses so its all compatible.
See our Vegas forum for AVCHD compatibility. The included software
includes a consumer-based solution from Corel for basic editing in AVCHD.

Quote:

I read that the 24 setting has no flags so I don't think vegas will treat it like a 24p file but if I capture with the included software does that do it? do I need another program, cineform has always had issues running on several of my machines so is there any other software that can do the capture to 24p? and if so anything relatively inexpensive?
The included software will not remove the pulldown flags, sorry.
It's just a very basic consumer-oriented editing application.

Quote:

Can you capture through the hdmi port and is it uncompressed? If so, is the intensity pro card able to capture it? or do you need a different card?
Yes you can capture uncompressed video with audio from the
HDMI jack. Do a search on this site for Intensity and take notes.

Quote:

Anyway to shoot also to a firestore as a backup? or to a computer live?
No FireWire therefore no compatibility with FireStore. You
could record to a computer via USB if you wanted to though.

Quote:

And last for now, anyway to use this camera as a backup (firestore) to cature what I shoot with another camera like it was a firestore of sorts?
Not really. The only video inputs on this camcorder are USB
and standard definition analog. You'll find more HG10 answers
here by searching, browsing and reading the forum -- hope
this helps,

Chris Klidonas November 22nd, 2007 02:09 PM

Thank you that was all very helpful.

James Neal November 22nd, 2007 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 777773)
Yes and it'll run until the battery gives out. So you're
much better off just using the included AC adapter.

Chris,
I might be doing something wrong but my HG10 requires the AC adapter to be plugged in, even with my fully charged battery attached. Have you had luck in downloading while on battery? This would be helpful in the field for laptop downloading. Thanks

Chris Klidonas November 22nd, 2007 07:07 PM

the camera does not let you, it requires you to plug in the adapter when you put in the usb wire no matter what.