DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HV20: 35mm equiv. of 10X zoom (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/112044-hv20-35mm-equiv-10x-zoom.html)

Tony Markle January 9th, 2008 06:45 PM

HV20: 35mm equiv. of 10X zoom
 
I have recently ordered a Canon HV20 because of the high ratings it has, but to increase the zoom range, I have also ordered a Canon 1.7X lens extender. I am surprised that this is the only extender that Canon offers for this model, and that it has no front filter for either filters or a lens hood.

It is also difficult to find 35mm focal length equivalents for camcorder lenses.
e.g. What is the 35mm equivalent of the HV20 10X zoom?

With pro camcorders with interchangeable lenses, what lenses are available that are over 20X? e.g. What do wildlife photographers use?

Chris Barcellos January 9th, 2008 06:51 PM

43mm to 435 approx according to the manual.

Andy Tejral January 9th, 2008 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Markle (Post 805836)
With pro camcorders with interchangeable lenses, what lenses are available that are over 20X? e.g. What do wildlife photographers use?

On a recent job, we rented two long lenses. I think they were 86x and 75x. http://www.canon.com/bctv/products/index_box.html You wouldn't want to use these for wildlife though--probably weigh about 50-80 lbs. You don't mount the lens to the camera--you support the lens and attach the camera to it!

Matt Buys January 9th, 2008 07:41 PM

Tony I've had good results with my extender for wildlife. The range isn't too shabby and the picture is fantastic. The biggest drawback of the extender is not the range but the amount of range; when you zoom back you see the sides of the lens about half way through so zooming out presents some problems.

Tony Markle January 10th, 2008 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 805839)
43mm to 435 approx according to the manual.

Thanks. Not quite as long as I would like.

Tony

Tony Markle January 10th, 2008 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Tejral (Post 805868)
On a recent job, we rented two long lenses. I think they were 86x and 75x. http://www.canon.com/bctv/products/index_box.html You wouldn't want to use these for wildlife though--probably weigh about 50-80 lbs. You don't mount the lens to the camera--you support the lens and attach the camera to it!

Thanks. Yes, those are something that a movie crew would probably use.

Tony

Tony Markle January 10th, 2008 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Buys (Post 805872)
Tony I've had good results with my extender for wildlife. The range isn't too shabby and the picture is fantastic. The biggest drawback of the extender is not the range but the amount of range; when you zoom back you see the sides of the lens about half way through so zooming out presents some problems.

Thanks, Matt. Good to hear you get great quality with that combo. I guess with the 1.7X, that would give me the 35mm equivalent of about 740mm. I would still like more reach, so may try a 3X extender made by a different company some day.

I'm not too worried about vignetting in the lower range, since I would only be using the extender in the upper range.
Tony

Matt Buys January 10th, 2008 09:11 PM

Is there a 3x extender out there for the HV20? I would love to pick one up even if it's so-so quality.

Tony Markle January 10th, 2008 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Buys (Post 806546)
Is there a 3x extender out there for the HV20? I would love to pick one up even if it's so-so quality.

Raynox makes one, but I don't know what the quality is like. My other concern would be how adapter rings would affect image quality, since you are increasing the distance between the extender and the front of your lens. With the Canon extender, that distance is fixed and designed specifically for a 43mm front thread.

Also, if I had to use an extender and adapter rings, I would want to be stepping down in size, not stepping up in size. Stepping up would cause even more vignetting.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...efinition.html

Tony


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:48 AM.

DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2021 The Digital Video Information Network