DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon WA on HFG10 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/496508-canon-wa-hfg10.html)

David Chilson May 28th, 2011 07:42 AM

Canon WA on HFG10

2 Attachment(s)
I put the Canon WD-H58W wide angle converter on the G10 and I could see it becoming a must-have accessory of the snowboarding/skateboarding crowd. A couple of twenty something film students pronounced it sexy, and I had a hard time prying it out of their grubby little fingers. If it comes up missing I know where to look. (Edit yes it comes with the hood)

Adam Palomer May 28th, 2011 10:36 PM

Re: Canon WA on HFG10

That looks very nice. From a practical perspective it's a great converter as it makes the stock ~30mm lens into a ~21mm one.

I think it would be much appreciated if you could post some comparison stills taken with the converter and without it.

Does the front end have threads for filters or are filters out of the question due to the lens shade?

Andreas Jaeger May 29th, 2011 03:03 AM

Question to David Chilson:

I plan to buy the WD-H58W for the XA10 that we buy, if it available in Europe (hope soon).
So whats the weight of the WD-H58W?
Can you weigh it for me?

Thanks a lot.

David Chilson May 29th, 2011 05:32 AM

3 Attachment(s)
The camera with OEM battery, 2 SD cards, Hoya HMC Pro 58mm filter, lens cap and standard hood weighs 625g.

The camera OEM batter, 2 SD cards, front lens cap and hood weighs 1002g.

WA adapter with both lens caps and hood weigh 443g.

There doesn't appear to be anyway to attach a filter to the WA adapter and I believe it's 30 X .8 = 24mm.

Adam Palomer May 29th, 2011 09:08 PM

Quote:

There doesn't appear to be anyway to attach a filter to the WA adapter and I believe it's 30 X .8 = 24mm.
Strange. In some sections, Canon's website mentions 0.8 while in other sections mentions 0.7.

Just out of curiosity, what does the converter itself read?

David Chilson May 30th, 2011 04:41 AM

Lens reads 0.8X which can be seen on the second photo at the top. The 0.7X is the older model.

Andreas Jaeger May 30th, 2011 09:12 AM

@ David Chilson:

Many thanks for your answers!
great!

Im pleased about yor photos.

Buba Kastorski May 30th, 2011 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Palomer (Post 1653761)
I think it would be much appreciated if you could post some comparison stills taken with the converter and without it.

yes, please, and thank you!

David Chilson June 2nd, 2011 04:17 PM

Here is a short that I was trying to get for the last two weeks. It's a public service piece on leaving baby animals where they are. I had feelers out to alert me when one was found, but no luck. Today while I was playing golf, here he was. Luckily I had my HFG10 with wide angle. Man are they cute! I really like this combo.

Edit: When I watch this on the vimeo site it appears clearer as opposed to viewing it on here. Is there some kind of downconversion on DVI?

Andree Markefors July 4th, 2011 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Chilson
When I watch this on the vimeo site it appears clearer as opposed to viewing it on here. Is there some kind of downconversion on DVI?

For me, the video defaulted to SD and not HD. Probably was an embed setting that you missed.

Can that be the reason?