DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Wide angle adapter HV20 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/75774-wide-angle-adapter-hv20.html)

Steve Montoto March 27th, 2007 10:36 AM

Wide angle adapter HV20

I just recieved my HV20 yesterday and was trying to purchace a wide angle lens.

Does anyone know what the difference between the WD-43 and the WD-H43?? B&H only stocks the WD-43 but other sites recommend the WD-H43 for the HV20.

Just curious if there was any difference between them.

Thanks,

Steve

EDIT: I might have answered my own question. Does the H stand for Hi-Def lens?

Pieter Jongerius March 27th, 2007 03:15 PM

Hi Steve,
yes it does, according to Chris and it sounds logical.

I happen to own a WD43 and I personally think that the optical quality of it is well above the level needed for a good HD reproduction. But I still have to find out, as I haven't received my HV20 yet.

John Godden March 28th, 2007 08:53 AM

availability of wide angle adapter

Greetings

I've been looking (but can't find from a reputable dealer) the WD-H43. Perhaps they're on a boat ??????? If anyone knows of a reputable etailer that has them in stock please send me a PM or email.

Also, I noticed the WD-H46 is available at BH: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=294241
The "H" in the part # would imply that it's hi-def compatalbe. Any obvious reason (other than slight increase in size) for not using it with a step-up ring?

THANKS
JohnG

Casey Schulte April 11th, 2007 07:44 AM

I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on this issue. Canon says that there is indeed a significant difference between the WD-H43 and the WD-43, though I don't know how much of this is marketing talking. I can't seem to find the WD-H43 anywhere in stock, so I was also thinking about the WD-H46 with a step up ring - it also happens to be cheaper given the unavailability of WD-H43s. Would there be any issues with use the WD-H46? Thanks in advance for any insight.

John Godden April 11th, 2007 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey Schulte (Post 658159)
I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on this issue. Canon says that there is indeed a significant difference between the WD-H43 and the WD-43, though I don't know how much of this is marketing talking. I can't seem to find the WD-H43 anywhere in stock, so I was also thinking about the WD-H46 with a step up ring - it also happens to be cheaper given the unavailability of WD-H43s. Would there be any issues with use the WD-H46? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Casey

I'm quite sure the H46 would be OK optically................... with the possibility that the IF might be blocked. ????

I'm really desparate to find a H43. Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wish Canon had delivered this lens at the same time as the cams. :-(

JohnG

Casey Schulte April 11th, 2007 11:10 AM

Thanks, John. Interestingly, videodirect.com claims to have some coming in over the next few days. I went ahead and placed an order because you can cancel at any time before shipment without much hassle (which I did when I located my HV20). I'll let you know if I actually get mine shipped any time soon.

Luis A. Diaz April 11th, 2007 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Godden (Post 658204)
Casey

I'm quite sure the H46 would be OK optically................... with the possibility that the IF might be blocked. ????

I'm really desparate to find a H43. Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wish Canon had delivered this lens at the same time as the cams. :-(

JohnG

I am using the WD-H43 since the camera arrived, snapped on and have not taken it off since. (See my previous posts). No vignetting at all, very sharp and the AIF works very well. No blocking. Same with the WD-H38 for the HV-10. I would stay away from other adapters not design for the HD lens of these cameras.

Luis

Alberto Blades April 11th, 2007 07:56 PM

Luis, how much distortion you get with the H43?

if you could post a fremegrab would be perfect

regards

John Godden April 11th, 2007 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey Schulte (Post 658331)
Thanks, John. Interestingly, videodirect.com claims to have some coming in over the next few days. I went ahead and placed an order because you can cancel at any time before shipment without much hassle (which I did when I located my HV20). I'll let you know if I actually get mine shipped any time soon.

Casey

Hope you get the adapter.

You might want to keep an eye on Amazon, BH, and the other usual suspects for additional stock. I lucked-out and got the last one on Amazon tonight (Wed 04-11). :-)

Regards
JohnG

C.S. Michael April 11th, 2007 11:28 PM

My WD-H43 arrived at my local dealer today. I take delivery tomorrow. So, they are out there...

Luis A. Diaz April 12th, 2007 12:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberto Blades (Post 658642)
Luis, how much distortion you get with the H43?

if you could post a fremegrab would be perfect

regards

here you go......The Canon shot is with the H37C on the HV-10, the other is with the H43. This one is a real hunk of glass.

Luis

Andreas Dahlstrom April 12th, 2007 01:27 AM

panasonic wide lens

What about PANASONIC WIDE LENS VW-LW4307ME 43 MM FAK 0.7X? Will this lens do something good on the hv20 camera?

Javier Gallen April 12th, 2007 03:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I hope to see a comparative pictures of different wide lenses.

Fron now, all I can say is that Sony wide lenses are worse than any other thing I ever see. Believe it or not, here is a sample of what I'm talking about. Look at the cromatic distortions and see how everything around the edges is totally out of focus. This occurs even in wide zoom position.

Now I'm using a very cheap Kenko 0.43x, and have not any of this problems.

Jason Brown April 12th, 2007 04:40 AM

wow, i just barely made it to. i ordered it from amazon last night with 2 left and now there out of stock. hope to put up some shots with and without the lens.

Alberto Blades April 12th, 2007 02:29 PM

thanks! the quality seems nice, but nice distortion too, its hard to find a .7x without much distortion.

probably I'll be trying the raynox HD-7000PRO