Wide angle adapter HV10 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old November 4th, 2006, 08:27 PM   #31
Major Player

i tried putting in a filter between the hd5050 and the hv10 but got a big deal of vignetting when i did that. It initially led me to believe the 5050 caused vignetting but after i took out the clear filter in between, it was just fine!
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 11:31 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel
i tried putting in a filter between the hd5050 and the hv10 but got a big deal of vignetting when i did that. It initially led me to believe the 5050 caused vignetting but after i took out the clear filter in between, it was just fine!

Have you removed the 37mm to 37mm adaptor ring that comes fixed onto the HD5050 ?
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2006, 11:41 PM   #33
Major Player

hmm, i didn't know the wide angle had a 37 to 37, is that why there was vignetting when i put the clear filter between the camera and the wide angle?? I will check this when i'm in the office and note back.
Old November 6th, 2006, 05:38 PM   #34
Major Player

Yep!

There is a 37mm to 37mm adaptor on the lens when shipped, a bit of good old fashioned brute force twists it off revealing a set of perfectly good 37mm threads beneath - this will put the lens that much closer to the camera and help with vignetting.
Old November 9th, 2006, 09:11 PM   #35
Major Player

yeah there was a 37 to 37 adapter that i took out, but i still noticed a slight bit of vignetting with the hoya filter between the camera and the wide angle... Ah well, i'll just have to get a 62mm filter for the front of the wide angle, no biggie.
Old November 17th, 2006, 07:51 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Raynox 5050 adaptor ring pull off: Danger !

I use the same wide angle adaptor with my Sony HC1 cam(37 mm). I noticed the same thing than you (you can pull off the 37 to 37 mm adaptor). But I noticed later that the rear lense of the Raynox was now in real contact with the front lense of the cam (It was not obvious, I just noticed a small dirty place at the center of the two lenses)! To check it, I put a small and thin paper between the two lenses, and yes it turned whith the lense before the end of the screw in.
I hope for you that your cam leave more room between the lenses. I think it could be the case, because I dont have any "vignetage" with the ring on, but I have some, when I leave my cam lense UV filter on.
Luc-Henri Barthelemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 04:48 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Raynox 0.5 converter vignetting

Contrary to some other experiences the Raynox 0.5 HD5050PRO does vignette on the HV10. It doesn't look like it in the view finder, but when you pull it into the computer it is there.

Also, the image is fairly sharp in the middle, but looses sharpness as you go to the edge by a factor of somewhere between 2 & 4- just eye balling it.

It has some barrel distortion, but I kind of liked the artsy look.

Also there was some previous discussion about removing the 37-37mm adapter ring. On the HV10 that is not a good idea because the lense will rub against the camera's front.

If you are sure you are going to use it in an overscan display then it might be OK, but I think I am going to have to return it. I am going to consider the Raynox 49mm which was previously suggested or maybe the Canon 0.7X.

Rick
Rick Llewellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 02:24 AM   #38
Major Player

Hi Rick

I get zero vignetting with the HD5050 .

If you remove the 37mm - 37mm plastic ring to stop vignetting the back of the lens very slightly touchs the auto lens cap doors - these are not under power (touch them with your finger to see they will not resist even the lightest feather touch) - I have had my camera set up like this for months - no marks on either the lens or the auto lens cap.
Old February 27th, 2007, 02:08 AM   #39
Space Hipster

wider wide

The announced Canon wide is only .7 factor and that gives about a 30mm (35mm equiv). Any other quality options that fit these cam. I would really like a .5 (a little barrel distortion would be okay but not the fisheye look).
Old February 28th, 2007, 01:32 AM   #40
Major Player

Useful point. . .but you only should be fine if the adapter's glass will resolve the 1080 stream, if not, no way. Chris?
Mathieu Kassovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 04:22 AM   #41
Major Player

I have a raynox HD5050 for my HV10 (the HD is for Hi-Def) it is a x 0.5.

http://img278.imageshack.us/img278/4316/wideez0.jpg

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/7812/iafblockkd4.jpg

See this thread for more details: http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=75774

Lee
Old February 28th, 2007, 10:23 AM   #42
Space Hipster

Thanks for the info - I did not look back far enough for that other thread.
Old March 19th, 2007, 09:34 AM   #43
Regular Crew

Best Wide Angle Solution for HV10?

I looking for a wide angle lens (and or adaptor), has anyone tried some of the available solutions, and if so, do they work?
James Burland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 12:38 PM   #44
Major Player

Check out what Lee posted here.

Seems like the Raynox 5050 is a nice WA. Lens

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.ph...ghlight=hd5050
Brad Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:30 PM   #45
New Boot

HV-10 Wide Angle

I purchase the .7 wideangle and the 2x telephoto from Sunpak. Both are working very well. I am amazed at the quality I am getting with both.
Ken Nelson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders