DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   undercover missions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/78562-undercover-missions.html)

Kian Kash October 31st, 2006 12:12 AM

undercover missions

Hi everyone, I just purchased the HV-10 and noticed that it does not come with a mic input. (btw doest even come with a dv cable how cheap is that). I purchased the camera because I want to film a short video documentary in Iran. I would have purchased a more expensive...larger unit capable of better things, but im sure it wont get through Iranian customs. I used to live there...sometimes they keep ur stuff for months...other times they just don’t return them period.

Point is, even if I was able to smuggle in a larger unit, i could hardly waltz around town filming the city. Enter...HV-10...small...affordable...incognito.

My big question is, is it possible to accurate time-sync the HD video with a separately recorded audio recording. I would be recording the audio with a portable digital recorder...maybe a small 4track or an MAudio or Roland portable recorder with phantom power (expanded memory capacity + power supply)....im thinking of hand crafting a lighting unit...designed as regular umbrella...for night shots...what kind of bulb would u guys recomend (must be small)...what type of fabric will not overheat (i have many a question ;).

Is this possible or am I dreaming in plastic? Can I sync the audio video using final cut etc...

any input on this matter, devoid of relevance...is appreciated.

Chris Barcellos October 31st, 2006 12:20 AM

yes, you should be able to synch in any editing program.

Richard Alvarez October 31st, 2006 12:28 AM

Yes, you can synch the sound in any editing system, just be sure you get a synch point whenever you start shooting. In film, this is usually done with a clapper board, the 'slate'. But you can just have someone clap their hands together when you start shooting, or flash a strobe.

You can get a small on camera light, usually 20 watts or so. Very compact. For brighter light, pick up a small 'super 8' movie light. Usually these are small units, with 500 or 650 watt bulbs in them. Bounce them off the interior of a reflector umbrella, or blast it through a white diffusion umbrella. Very small compact lighting. Alternatively, bounce it off a white wall or ceiling.

Kian Kash October 31st, 2006 01:33 AM

ok so im gonna get a white diffusion umbrella...then im gonna get a custom made handle that houses a rechargable battery, wire the umbrella so that the 500-600w bulb feeds off the handle battery...walk around like im just carrying an umbrella and keep the DV-10 in my pocket... question is...what do i do about the audio???

can anyone name some good field mics?

thnx a lot for the great feedback ;)

Justine Haupt October 31st, 2006 12:42 PM

I admire your intentions, but won't an umbrella with light coming from it draw a lot of attention?

Steve Leverich October 31st, 2006 01:39 PM

600 watts divided by 12 volts = 50 amps - that's gonna be a MEAN umbrella handle to hold a full-size CAR battery. Hope you live through this project... Steve

Garrison Hayes October 31st, 2006 02:42 PM

Hd...

I'm not sure about th e time sync, but how does the video look....i was looking at it last night...sounded good, but that could very well be promo gimmick! My major question is the "New-School" saying, is it true that "Once a 1-Chip camera, always a 1-Chip camera"? I mean, are the extra pixels that much of a deal when you're still dealing with minimal shooting conditions? are the HD capabilities that great even though you only have 1 chip?...i dont know. I hate to sound redundant, but sreiously. how much can you do with that camcorder? even though its "HD"

Chris Hurd October 31st, 2006 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kian Kash
(btw doest even come with a dv cable how cheap is that).

Name one camcorder that comes with a DV (FireWire) cable.

Lee Wilson October 31st, 2006 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kian Kash
ok so im gonna get a white diffusion umbrella...then im gonna get a custom made handle that houses a rechargable battery, wire the umbrella so that the 500-600w bulb feeds off the handle battery...walk around like im just carrying an umbrella and keep the DV-10 in my pocket...

LOL !

See you on the news with your 'DV' 10 :)

Richard Alvarez October 31st, 2006 08:00 PM

No, you're not going to blast 500 watts through a hand held umbrella with a battery powerpack. What I suggested was a smallish pocket 'kit' for interviews... not run and gun. For that, as I indicated, you would need an on camera light.

Lee Wilson October 31st, 2006 09:11 PM

The light on the front of the HV10 is surprisingly good !

Kevin Wild November 1st, 2006 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee Wilson
The light on the front of the HV10 is surprisingly good !

Too blue for my tastes.

Lee Wilson November 1st, 2006 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Wild
Too blue for my tastes.

You can stick a piece of white card infront of the HV10 stick the light on and manually colour balance to the illuminated (slightly blue) card, this should put you back in the red.

Jim Babcock November 3rd, 2006 10:03 AM

Secret Agent Man

BTW, a really good, inobtrusive camera which DOES have an external mic input is the Sanyo Xact HD 1A. It looks like a toy but records surprising good 720p on SD memory chips, not tape. Lousy low light capability, though. It's what I would use if I were going "in country."

Khodahafez, dude

Lee Wilson November 3rd, 2006 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Babcock
BTW, a really good, inobtrusive camera which DOES have an external mic input is the Sanyo Xact HD 1A. It looks like a toy but records surprising good 720p on SD memory chips, not tape. Lousy low light capability, though. It's what I would use if I were going "in country."

Khodahafez, dude

It has had very very bad reviews with regard to image quality.