DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HV10 with an M2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/80227-hv10-m2.html)

Zack Birlew November 22nd, 2006 11:39 PM

HV10 with an M2?

Hey, just checking if anybody's actually tried using the HV10 with an M2 adapter yet. I remember somebody saying it was like the "ideal" camera since it is so small and light that you could just mount it upside down with no worries. I was thinking that this would be a nifty little setup if it can be done, though after buying the M2 and everything you may as well buy one XH-A1, but that's not the point is it? =)

Rylan Wright November 23rd, 2006 11:34 AM

I did some testing with the two.They work great together,you just have to shim it up a little higher than most cams cause its more vertical.I'm waiting on the adapter to come back from repairs,cause I mess it up trying to take a part out:(.

Rylan Wright December 16th, 2006 03:20 PM

My M2 got fixed and I shot some test stills.
I think my 28mm Nikon 2.8 is a bad lens,I'm only picking up detail in the center and getting dark blurred edges.

I'll post some stills when I figure out what the problem is.

Zack Birlew December 16th, 2006 04:08 PM

Good to hear Rylan, I was waiting for your feedback. Surprisingly there hasn't been any other replies to this thread, I would have thought many others would have tried this combo out, especially since it has full 1920x1080 resolution and not 1440x1080 like the Sony HDV models, should help with the softness factor I'd think.

Just wondering, does the Instant Auto Focus feature get in the way of the setup or is there a manual focus button on there? I can't remember if it had one or not.

Lee Wilson December 16th, 2006 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Felis
Good to hear Rylan, I was waiting for your feedback. Surprisingly there hasn't been any other replies to this thread, I would have thought many others would have tried this combo out, especially since it has full 1920x1080 resolution and not 1440x1080 like the Sony HDV models, should help with the softness factor I'd think.

HV10 puts down 1440*1080 to tape, just like the Sonys, its sensor maybe 1920*1080 but the HDV spec only allows for 1440.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Felis
Just wondering, does the Instant Auto Focus feature get in the way of the setup or is there a manual focus button on there? I can't remember if it had one or not.

There are three focus modes, Instant Auto focus using the sensor just below the lens, normal auto focus through the lens and manual focus.

Rylan Wright December 18th, 2006 11:23 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Normal auto Focus does gets in the way,Instant isn't so bad but I would stick with manual focusing,and auto stabilizers are a no no.

I still need to adjust the M2 some more before I shoot to tape,and my 28mm Nikon lens blows,but here are some stills so far.

Brad Vaughan December 18th, 2006 12:23 PM

So is this M2 adapter just for Depth of View focusing?

Rylan Wright December 22nd, 2006 04:43 PM

Brad,
Shallow Depth of focus?

I had a few 35mm slr lenses that were collecting dust,so this gives indie filmmakers a chance to achieve Film-style cinematography and bring some life back to these old lenses.

I find my self planing more shots than run an gun style,but the quality of the HV10 is so good I had to try an mate the two.

So far so good.

Here is a clip.
http://ia331329.us.archive.org/1/ite...ntitled_cc.mov
noting fancy just more testing

Robert Ducon December 25th, 2006 10:44 PM

Looks nice - best combo for the money I bet.

I did notice chromatic aberration in each of the three photos.. what's at fault? Lenses?

The effect is still sweet - only DPs would notice the C.A. I saw, most ppl wouldn't.

Rylan Wright December 27th, 2006 02:55 AM

Yeah Robert,
I'm really enjoying the combo:).

The chromatic aberration is probably from the +10 Asian macro lens I'm using,the Redrock Achromat mounts in reverse direction compared to Asian and touches my 37-55 step up ring.
I think the RR Achromat has less or no chromatic aberration,but stacking more rings pushes the glass away from the HV10,and that might mean a little quality loss.

BTW,The Focus Assist on the cam comes in handy for adjusting sharpness on the cinescreen.

Fergus Anderson December 27th, 2006 02:32 PM

Hey chaps -sorry for my ignorance but what is an M2 adapter and how much does it cost? Is is a device to allow you to connect 35mm SLR lenses to the HV10? (my mother inlaw has a few she doesnt want) Is the main benefit the shallow depth of field?

Cheers

Mike Brown December 27th, 2006 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fergus Anderson
Hey chaps -sorry for my ignorance but what is an M2 adapter and how much does it cost? Is is a device to allow you to connect 35mm SLR lenses to the HV10? (my mother inlaw has a few she doesnt want) Is the main benefit the shallow depth of field?

Cheers

Exactly. Here's the link with details:

http://www.redrockmicro.com/micro35.html

Fergus Anderson December 27th, 2006 11:05 PM

Thanks for the link - looks amazing if a little out of my price range!

Rich Dykmans December 28th, 2006 10:08 AM

I'd love to see a picture of an HV10 all setup with rails/redrock/follow focus/monitor - that would be pretty cool!

Zack Birlew December 28th, 2006 11:31 AM

Yes, the M2 is still expensive when fully decked out and everything, plus the cost of lenses. Yet with the HV10, here's a price list:

From B&H Photo:

Canon HV10 - $950
Zoom H4 - $300
2gb SD Card - about $100
Nikon 50mm 1.4D AF Lens - $280

From Redrockmicro:

M2 Nikon Bundle - $1,300

(Optional) Micro Follow Focus with 3 whips - $825

The total is $2930, add in the follow focus and it's $4,230.

Granted you could pick a different lens or different XLR field recorder, but for a bare minimum kit, it's a competitive deal. For instance, for just about the same price you could get just a DVX or an XHA1, but then you'd have to deal with trying to make that footage look as film-like as possible just as you would with any camera. Yet with the HV10 package, you have a perfectly capable 1080i image from a relatively inexpensive camera, a professional audio solution, and you have a 35mm adapter bundle that will grow with you for your next camera in the future and you'll always have the option of using the M2 on another camera whether you rent one or borrow one.

Lastly, when you don't need film-like images, you can just leave the M2 behind and take that little HV10 camera with you to film birthdays or vacation trips! =)

Obviously this isn't the ideal package for a filmmaker, (that would be a camera like the HVX200, XLH1, ect.) but hey, it seems to work pretty darn well for what it is.