B&H has shipped my HV20 ... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old March 20th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #16
Inner Circle

OK, official notice to all who attend NAB in Las Vegas, your image may be recorded by me! Be forwarned----Chris-Dylan-Rob-Lorinda-et all!

Yes!

Mike
Old March 20th, 2007, 05:33 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch View Post
Just got an email, mine is on the way! I surely want to take it to NAB! Wow, I am hyped! I have already ordered a bunch of accessories and I am really looking forward to this!!!!! :)

Mike

Damn Mike, Im jealous now! I WANT IT ! I WANT IT !

They should be filling all the preorders first before they sell them in the store dont you think? I preordered and paid for it over a month ago. =(

Steve
Steve Montoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 05:37 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Montoto View Post
Damn Mike, Im jealous now! I WANT IT ! I WANT IT !

They should be filling all the preorders first before they sell them in the store dont you think? I preordered and paid for it over a month ago. =(

Steve
I am asuming that, but can't confirm.

Mike
Old March 20th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #19
Major Player

I actually called B&H earlier this afternoon to see if I could buy one if I just walked in--they said no.

However, I did find it in stock at my back up source though. I should be receiving mine on Friday.

Woo-hoo!
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:47 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Footage

HV20 footage. Straight out of the box test. Automatic everything. Only changed to 24f fom 60i. Sorry. Might take forever to download.

http://www.youngsterproduction.com/v...box%20test.mov

LINK NO LONGER ACTIVE

Last edited by Larry Kamerman; March 21st, 2007 at 05:16 PM.
Larry Kamerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 12:03 AM   #21
Major Player

Larry,

Thank you for posting. Was this shot in SD mode? The letterboxing was what suggested that.

The footage seems very contrasty and lacks latitude and, surprisingly, colour. Could just be the surroundings for colour. Latitude problems could just be due to the automatic exposure adaptation. Regardless, thank you for shooting and posting.

I see you have an XH-A1 or G1 there ;) Mind posting a simple side-by-side compare?

I've ordered a HV20 locally - I'll be sure to post test HD footage on my server when it arrives as well. (I have 70 tapes-worth of experience with the HDV Sony Z1U so I'll probably be able to see any differences quickly). Larry, nice to see a Mac Pro in there as well - I own two 19" NEC's myself. Nice pad in New York as well!

Last edited by Robert Ducon; March 21st, 2007 at 12:35 AM.
Robert Ducon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 12:26 AM   #22
New Boot

HI,

thanks, but this is not hd? Why converting to 24f? I thought the hv20 has 24p capabilities. The movements are a bit blurrie and not that good or it's just my eye's?!
Arvid Kraght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 12:40 AM   #23
New Boot

Compared to Jung Kyu's footage this scared me, jittery and lots of diagonal lines during panning. Hopefully this is just the settings or new heads, low light looks good though, but then there are so many variables and I am sure we will see more footage in the coming days. I hope the next shipment they receive covers the rest of the pre orders, waiting is hard when other people already have them.
Nick Laskowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 12:59 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Laskowski View Post
Compared to Jung Kyu's footage this scared me, jittery and lots of diagonal lines during panning. Hopefully this is just the settings or new heads, low light looks good though, but then there are so many variables and I am sure we will see more footage in the coming days. I hope the next shipment they receive covers the rest of the pre orders, waiting is hard when other people already have them.
Agreed.

Larry, I appreciate the time and effort you took to upload the video, and I understand it's an out-of-the-box, all on "automatic" sample, but people on slow connections might want to wait for smaller file size downloads than wait for this one.

Were the bad interlace effects and strange panning effects evident in the raw video? Or am I mistaken and this is raw video? I assumed it was compressed. What do you mean by you "only changed to 24f fom 60i"? Is this a conversion from 24f to 60i or do you mean you shot in 24f mode and what we're seeing is the raw 24f video?

I'm not trying to look a gifthorse in the mouth, and thanks again for taking the time to do this for us.

Nick, I'm in the same boat as you and others who are "in line" to receive their HV20s from B&H. I have a feeling I might be waiting a while; I ordered mine on March 17! :)
Rob Unck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 08:29 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Robert - footage was shot in HDV. Not sure about letterboxing. Color lacks attitude at least in part because of the not-very-colorful surroundings.

Rob- shot in HDV 24f mode, imported to FCP, made a quicktime movie and uploaded. I am, unfortunately, still quite tecnically challenged so I'm not sure what compression, if any, is involved in those steps. I attempted to upload footage as raw as possible.

Apologies. Understand this was not the best test of the camera. Just trying to give some quick shots. Will have time to do more thorough work with the camera in the coming days.
Old March 21st, 2007, 09:11 AM   #26
New Boot

Larry,

Thanks so much for posting footage. What would really be helpful I think is to post the raw video that FCP captured (just about 10 seconds worth so that the file size is downloadable). That footage will be 60i that contains 24p footage. Then we can all use our different methods (I use cinema tools) to reverse the pulldown and see what end-result-24p looks like out of this camera.

Is that possible?
Billy Fatay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 09:47 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Fatay View Post
Larry,

Thanks so much for posting footage. What would really be helpful I think is to post the raw video that FCP captured (just about 10 seconds worth so that the file size is downloadable). That footage will be 60i that contains 24p footage. Then we can all use our different methods (I use cinema tools) to reverse the pulldown and see what end-result-24p looks like out of this camera.

Is that possible?
Tell me how and I can try to do it later today/this evening. Also, a member on dvxuser is hosting the existing footage. will have to ask if he's willing to host some more.
Old March 21st, 2007, 10:06 AM   #28
New Boot

Thanks a lot. Basically, when you capture the footage in FCP it will place the file in your bin. That's the file we want. So the best thing to do is just capture 10 seconds from the camera and upload that file. Otherwise, if you try to just export 10 seconds from a longer captured file, FCP will need to recompress it (I think). If that doesn't make sense let me know.
Billy Fatay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 10:38 AM   #29
Major Player

Just got my Tracking number mailed to me this morning!!!

=)
Steve Montoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 12:37 PM   #30
Contributor

hv20 shipped

i ordered mine on 3.7.07 and it's in transit, tracking says it should be here on friday

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders