DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HV20 or JVC GZ-HD7, which has better 1080i picture quality? (low-light and outdoor) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/89440-hv20-jvc-gz-hd7-has-better-1080i-picture-quality-low-light-outdoor.html)

Leila Alkadi March 20th, 2007 04:11 PM

HV20 or JVC GZ-HD7, which has better 1080i picture quality? (low-light and outdoor)

HV20 or JVC GZ-HD7, which has better 1080i picture quality in low-light and sunny outdoor situations?

Thanks!

Paulo Teixeira March 20th, 2007 04:33 PM

You might as well add the Panasonic AG-HSC1U and the Sony HDR-HC7 to the comparison between the HV20 and the GZ-HD7. All we can do is speculate at this time. You’re going to have to wait until all the camcorders are released.

Leila Alkadi March 20th, 2007 04:40 PM

I returned the Sony HC7 last week, after two days of use.
The picture quality is the main reason. The autofocus also
hunts too much, even when compared to my 4-year-old
al-cheapo Sony camcorders.

The HV20 that I ordered was shipped yesterday afternoon
and will be delivered on Thursday, according to FedEx. Will
see how it works out...

The only problem is that the JVC won't be shipped for at
least another 3 weeks, according to the order status page.

Lorry Smyth March 20th, 2007 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leila Alkadi (Post 645154)
I returned the Sony HC7 last week, after two days of use.
The picture quality is the main reason. The autofocus also
hunts too much, even when compared to my 4-year-old
al-cheapo Sony camcorders.

The HV20 that I ordered was shipped yesterday afternoon
and will be delivered on Thursday, according to FedEx. Will
see how it works out...

The only problem is that the JVC won't be shipped for at
least another 3 weeks, according to the order status page.

Leila, from all the footage I've seen from the Sony HC7, I think you made the right move as the HV20 totally blows it out of the water. Keep us posted on your thoughts and impressions on the Canon once you get it and use it.. I am getting mine tomorrow and am very thrilled to finally get to use it.

As for the JVC GZ-HD7, though we have to wait and see, I cannot positively foresee it being able to deliver the detail the HV20 does due to the smaller size of the CCDs it uses. I own a Panny HVX200 that feature similar size imagers and pixel shifting, and, though the best prosumer camera I have ever owned, it is no match for the native resolution capabilities of the HV20. I'd be very surprised if the JVC came out with a camera from the same parent company (Matsushita) and a 1/3 of the price, that performs the HVX200's resolution and image quality. Plus, JVC's main claimed reason for using lower resolution CCDs is to feature better low-light capabilities. However, the published specs seem less than encouraging as far as how well the camera will do in low-light. I think the GZ-HD7 has absolutely no where to go, lacks features, does not shoot progressive, is too expensive and is coming to the market too late. If at least it shot true 1080p then, it would be a step ahead of the competition and feature something still no one has on hands... and it would make sense because the camera has native progressive scan CCDs and all video processing is done in 1080p... till, the final recording stage. It is totally ludicrous to me.. but hey, its their product and their business... The JVC had all the right ideas to make a killer product but I think ultimately its Canon with the HV20 that made all the right moves for this summer's big home run.

But of course I might be wrong and the GZ-HD7 might turn out to be the best cam in its class and a box office hit. For JVC's sake I hope so now that the brand is being purchased by Texas Pacific Group (TPG), and the kick-off with a best-selling product would make a lot of people very happy. I look forward in reading the reviews when the camera is officially out and thoroughly compared to the rest of the competition out there.