DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Any recomendations for UV and Polarizer filters? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/92785-any-recomendations-uv-polarizer-filters.html)

Fergus Anderson April 30th, 2007 12:22 PM

Any recomendations for UV and Polarizer filters?

Hi All

Since I have gone from the HV10 to the HV20 I cant use my UV and polarizer filters. For the HV10 I bought the Jessops own brand filters which seemed ok. I just wondered if anyone had any recomendations for the hv20 and if it was worth shelling out a bir more money? (ie do cheaper filters degrade the image more?)

Thanks in advance
Fergus

Povl H. Pedersen April 30th, 2007 02:39 PM

Based on my knowledge from dSLR photography:

Multicoated filters lets 99.5+ % of light through, uncoated is around 95%. The rest of the light is reflected or dispersed inside the glass.

If there is sun on the lense, a cheaper filter will give more lense flare.

All that said, I will get cheap set myself. I lens hood will be a good investment, but it is not sold by canon, and it will probably have to be some special rubber model. A missing lens hood option is a design error from Canon. The filter thread does a little, but when you put a filter on, it is exposed to the sun.

As I am still awaiting filters, I can not say if I will be satisfied with the cheap ones, or I will have to replace them with Hoya HMC Pro-1.

It all depends on if you can live with the result.

Austin Meyers April 30th, 2007 04:50 PM

i got the hoya intro filter kit, which comes with a polarizer, UV and warming filter in a pouch, for about $50, and compared to the polarizer i use on my still cams, it's not nearly as nice imho. the other polarizers i have are tiffen filters

Jay Stebbins April 30th, 2007 05:59 PM

Hoya makes their HMC "muilti coat" filters in the 43mm size. They make excellent filters. The coating in on the inside as well to stop light from bounceing around. Evidently the sunpack filters are pretty good as well. B&H should have any filter you could imagine.

the Hoyas are about 20 a pop

Mike Dulay April 30th, 2007 06:08 PM

On UV / Glass protectors

You normally can't tell the difference between various multicoated filters. So it's more a question of multicoated (99%) vs singlecoated (up to 97%). The better the coating the more light you get ... the brighter the image ... the more detail you retain. The difference was hard to discern (have used 52-58mm filters with step rings) between hoya hmc ($18), mc ($17), and s&w ($8-a cheap multicoated off ebay). Then I tried a tiffen glass protector ($9) it had a tendency to reflect light between the camcorder lens and the filter at around sundown (which is nice time for dramatic lighting). In terms of glass, you can find cheap multicoated ones at around the same price as a single/no coat and it shouldn't matter unless you have a purpose beyond protecting the lens.

At the moment I am using a B+W MRC filter ($40) but not just because of the glass but for the filter ring. The MRC seems like there's nothing there which is great. I wouldn't have bought it if not for the ring which has a reputation of not binding. I sometimes use a 35mm adapter and use that as the end mated to the camcorder. The contraption is the same bulk as the camcorder so it helps that I can unscrew the adapter-filter from the HV20 rather than the other way around.