DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Recording HV20 Footage to Hard Drive? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/92898-recording-hv20-footage-hard-drive.html)

Blake Calhoun May 1st, 2007 09:47 AM

Recording HV20 Footage to Hard Drive?

Anyone recording footage to a hard drive with the HV20 yet? I wonder if Canon will make CONSOLE work with it? I assume one of the Firestore drives will work?

Thanks,
Blake

Derek Green May 1st, 2007 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blake Calhoun (Post 670614)
Anyone recording footage to a hard drive with the HV20 yet? I wonder if Canon will make CONSOLE work with it? I assume one of the Firestore drives will work?

Thanks,
Blake

Blake, I haven't read of anyone pairing a portable hard drive specifically with the HV20 yet, but there shouldn't be any reason that a Firestore wouldn't work.

p.s. Liked the trailer for your flick. Great one liners there at the end. haha. What camera did you guys use?

Blake Calhoun May 1st, 2007 04:15 PM

Thanks for the info. I was thinking the same thing about one of the Firestore drives. I'll have to do some more research and a test.

On my movie we shot with the Panasonic Varicam (720p24). Great camera. Actually bought the HV20 as sort of a "crash cam" or B camera to compliment the big boy rigs. Pretty impressed with it too.

Jerry Mennenga September 30th, 2007 10:48 PM

Firestore and Canon HV20 research

Blake, Hey. Did you find out if the firestore and Canon's HV20 are compatible? Either the FS-C or the Firestore's Pro HD line? thanks...

jerry mennenga
sioux city, iowa

Blake Calhoun October 1st, 2007 08:31 AM

I never did find out. I own an HV20, but not a Firestore (yet). Been debating to buy one for a while now (mainly for my XH-A1). I'll post here when I do get one and test it...

Jerry Mennenga October 1st, 2007 08:42 AM

firestore and Canon

Blake, I own a XHA1 and firestore Pro HD 60 gig, and it works very well. I shoot for a small paper and find it saves me so much time allowing me to skip the capture process. Although, depending on the subject, I do sometimes shoot tape for backup. Most of the video I shoot is daily stuff and nothing I need to worry about keeping. We burn copies to DVD of the short projects.
I was just wondering if the FS would work with the HV20, because it would be nice to sometimes use a smaller unit for broll than carrying the other and the accessories....

jerry
sioux city, iowa

Buddy Frazer October 1st, 2007 01:40 PM

Have has a Canon A1 and an HV20 and both work with my Firestore Pro HD device.

Bert Na October 2nd, 2007 09:59 AM

According to the Firestore manual, unless the camcorder supports tapeless operation, you still need to put tape in the camcorder while shooting. Is this is the case with the HV20?

Jerry Mennenga October 3rd, 2007 06:00 PM

Firestore and HV 20--Tape or Tapeless

Buddy, So do you shoot tapeless with the Firestore HD with your HV 20?

jerry
sioux city, iowa

Jerry Mennenga October 7th, 2007 08:37 AM

firestore and HV 20

Buddy, Just following up. Are you going to kiss and tell about whether you are shooting tapeless with the Firestore and HV 20? We are all breathless with anticipation...thanks....

jerry
sioux city, iowa

Bert Na October 7th, 2007 11:15 AM

Jerry,

You still have to use tape with the HV20 (see link).

"FS-4 interfaces with your camcorder using a single FireWire cable that passes audio, video, timecode and control information. When a tape is present, each press of start and stop on your camcorder's record button will create an individual clip on disk."