DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   RedRock Micro's HV20 rig (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/97466-redrock-micros-hv20-rig.html)

Johan Bunis June 26th, 2007 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salah Baker (Post 702747)
People that worry hanging a sub 1k camera upside down is probably not who this rig is geared for.
I would guess that the rig is 3 times what the camera costs.
Unless Redrock has changed it’s pricing.

Hehe, sure but I was thinking for us other with non Redrock adapters who also want a correct picture.. ;S

Chris Hurd June 26th, 2007 08:59 PM

More pics for drooling over... via Mike Curtis at HD For Indies, from a CineGear Expo report:

http://www.hdforindies.com/2007/06/p...-handheld.html

Glenn Thomas June 26th, 2007 11:47 PM

I guess it shows the kind of impact the HV20 has had on the industry when products like this start appearing.

Rafael Lopes June 27th, 2007 03:24 AM

That thing looks really freaking awesome. It has a really pro look to it. People who are afraid to show up for a gig with a smaller camera won't have that problem anymore if they show up with this rig. I'm very curious about how much will it cost though.

Charles Papert June 27th, 2007 06:33 AM

Am I missing a power source for the Redrock unit...? I would probably want to see a mount at the rear for a large format battery (AB or V-mount), particularly as this setup looks very front-heavy. Perfect setup actually for an HDMI recording solution to go back there...!

Anthony Dowman June 28th, 2007 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes (Post 702463)
But this thing does make you think...look at where technology is today! I studied film about 7 or 8 years ago and I shot most of my projects with a Sony DCR-TRV30, which cost like 500€ more than the HV20 but had less than half the quality. Today for 1000$ you can have this little bundle...plus the huge bonus of adapters like redrock, letus, and the brevis. God bless evolution.

same as me! it's amazing where we're at now... and full-res HD via BM intensity on this camera!

i was just wondering how do they actually hook up a viewfinder to the HV20?

edit: ah, i see now on the photos from hdforindies...

Chris Barcellos June 28th, 2007 11:06 PM

Self Built

1 Attachment(s)
I've been adding to my HV20 rig, and when I saw the Redrock Micro set up, I had to take the next step.....

The mount frame, and the handles, and all probably cost about $25.00 to build. I still will add a shoulder mount.

Need to figure out a follow focus next....

See photo attached...

Nathan Shane June 29th, 2007 05:25 AM

Hey Chris, I've been following your camera mount ideas and you got me looking around town at all the different 7" and 8" portable DVD player for external monitoring...great idea I had never considered.

But what I want to know today is, what did you use for the handles, where did you get those?

Ron Lemming June 29th, 2007 06:12 AM

How do you use 2 handles with an adapter? Wouldn't the image shake when you let one hand go to adjust the focus?

Chris Barcellos June 29th, 2007 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan Shane (Post 704604)
Hey Chris, I've been following your camera mount ideas and you got me looking around town at all the different 7" and 8" portable DVD player for external monitoring...great idea I had never considered.

But what I want to know today is, what did you use for the handles, where did you get those?

The DVD player is a Polaroid bought at Walmart, $100.00. Not the greatest focusing screen, but

They were in the "bracket" hanger department at Home Depot near the aluminum tubing and such. They actuall are used for hanging things on walls. More in shape of a C. Just cut off one end.

Chris Barcellos June 29th, 2007 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Lemming (Post 704612)
How do you use 2 handles with an adapter? Wouldn't the image shake when you let one hand go to adjust the focus?

Frist of all, while your focusing, you have to go one handed for sure, but so to with the Redrock. Second, I've already had it on my steady stick, and it help with that. Third, I just finished project last night, so I have yet to really shoot anything... Jury is out. Of course, Redrock Micro faces same issues...

Igor Babic June 30th, 2007 01:05 AM

Monitoring with hv 20

I have DENVER DFT-709. Very inexpencive and very sharp(you have to tweak sharpness to the max). You can focus with it very easily. It has standard inputs and flip function and external battery pack for 10 standard AA batteries (It runs couple of hours on 2500mAh). At the bottom is also standard camera thread mount and it looks very solid and almost pro. (Little to big for hand held maybe).

Nathan Shane June 30th, 2007 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 704691)
The DVD player is a Polaroid bought at Walmart, $100.00. Not the greatest focusing screen, but...

Chris, I went looking at the portable DVD players at Best Buy, all of which had a demo disc with multiple movie shorts to play. The one thing I quickly noticed is that even though all of these portable DVD players were physically widescreen LCD's, they would only playback widescreen letterboxed. All of them had a setting to where you could get the widescreen movie clips to fill the entire LCD, but the image playing back was disproportionate...like you can often see when people don't setup their widescreen TV's correctly. Having to significantly letterbox a widescreen image (DVD) on a widescreen player just to make it look right seems like a complete waste of LCD screen.

So my question is this, when you run the HV20's signal into the player, does it fill the entire LCD proportionately or does it need to be letterboxed to look right?

Chris Barcellos June 30th, 2007 12:50 PM

Nathan:

Every thing appears to be appropriate on the Polaroid. The mode switch has four selections which give 16:9, 16:9 inverted, 4:3 with pillars on side, and 4:3 inverted with pillars on side. There is a "hold" switch that locks the modes in, and I leave that on all the time.

Comparing the 16:9 with the LCD, aspect appears appropriate. I think there are some "overscan" issues, where the entire recorded image may not show up on LCD, but I think we have all come to expect that on consumer monitor solutions.

Eric Brown July 6th, 2007 12:01 AM

Quote:

they should keep the price down...otherwise it's just better judgment to buy a Xh-A1 for this price.
If I could buy this at the same price as an A1, I might just take this. As the accessories alone put it at an advantage in some respects. Plus, if you ever outgrow the HV20 itself, the 35mm adapter and follow focus are more than likely usable on the next camera you purchase. If they make a functional version of this I just may be stepping up to the plate.