DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Windows XP 64bit (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/98333-windows-xp-64bit.html)

David Braund July 6th, 2007 12:54 PM

Windows XP 64bit

how stable and reliable is this?

im thinking of using this operating system for a "field" computer that id use for filming off the HV20 straight onto hard drive through HDMI.

i thought of this because of the added memory available for applications (as far as i know 32bit applications are limited to 2gb ram).

obviously recording in 1080p will be adrain on the system, especially if i'm encoding too NeoHD or MJPEG on the fly aswell, aswell as processing the raw data and monitoring with adobe onlocation aswell.

i was thinking of around 4GB ram, with a 200gb internal disk (4 external 500gb drives using esata, hopefully ill learn to setup a raid-0 config by then)

its a dual core machine with 2.8Ghz

but my question is, has anyone experienced problems with XP 64? or do you see it more reliable than the 32bit version?

thanks

David Braund July 6th, 2007 01:00 PM

also

is it possible (with a 3 monitor setup or something) to run both onlocation and a second program to capture, side by side, on 2 different monitors?

will onlocation interrupt the capture in any way if i want to use... say..NeoHD?

also, is there a solution to flip the image while capturing, i know onlocation can do this, but does that id have to capture with on location (DV compression) or will it send that to the other program?

or can any other programs capable of capture (that can use the cineform codec) flip the image?

John Miller July 6th, 2007 02:01 PM

XP x64 is much more stable than XP Pro. It is derived from a version of 64-bit Windows Server. It shows this in the lack of a few features that are on Pro - but they can be considered fluff.

The only main downside is driver support for any odd-ball hardware you may have.

I currently have a bunch of versions of Windows on my system (XP Pro SP2, XP MCE 2003, XP Pro SP2 (Dutch), Vista Ultimate 32- and 64-bit, and XP x64.

XP x64 is my prefered one - giving the best "user experience", as MS like to say.

(As far as crashes go, across all those OSes, I've probably had 3 this year).

David Braund July 6th, 2007 02:24 PM

what abotu codecs? any issues with that?

will normal windows xp codecs run well?

John Miller July 6th, 2007 05:38 PM

Typically, if you have the 32-bit versions of codecs and are using 32-bit software with them, you shouldn't have a problem. Mixing 32-bit and 64-bit is a no-no. Sometimes 32-bit codecs do have problems because the installer puts information into the wrong part of the registry. This should only be a concern for Video-for-Windows codecs, since they typically have an .INF file for installation. DirectShow codecs use a completely different method for installation.

Marco Wagner July 6th, 2007 06:12 PM

been there

I ran WinXP x64 edition a short while ago, even posted a review in here somewhere. While it ran super fast and encoding using 64bit encoders was wonderful, I found a lot of issues, minor issues, but enough to cause problems with workflows. I wish Adobe would get smart and port over a 64bit version, I'd go back to Win64 in a microsecond.

Henry Cho July 6th, 2007 08:16 PM

i'm currently dual-booting xp pro and x64. i was running x64 exclusively for a little while and still use it as my primary OS. the issues with x64 are primarily hardware based, as most software has a current version that will work properly in the 64 bit environment (albeit in 32 bit mode) -- you can even create pdfs now with acrobat 9, which was the big issue with prior versions. still, you may need to upgrade your old software. i find all the latest versions of my codecs work fine. cineform and premiere pro capture work great, and cineform will flip the image during capture on the fly. regarding hardware, your sound card, printer, scanner, and any peripheral you were using with xp may not work under x64. check with the manufacturer of your existing peripherals for x64 specific drivers. all i know is i was waiting years for m-audio to release working x64 drivers for their sound cards, and only recently decided to switch to another brand. most hardware companies do have x64 drivers, even for their legacy devices.

the really nice things about x64? native 64 bit apps, like 3ds max and maya, scream on it. also, the OS is not limited to 3GB of ram. i have 11GB, and the performance boost is obvious. as much as i'm a fan of x64, i still find i need to go into xp once in a while, so i keep it on my machine.

personally, i think microsoft is doing the wrong thing by releasing both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of their OS's. it's just confusing to people who have no idea, and power users suffer as hardware and software companies won't support the 64 bit versions because of the relatively few users who are on them. apple did the straightforward thing and gave people just one 64 bit OS, and everyone had to comply.