DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa-vixia-series-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon XA10 and HFG10 pics and impressions - CES 2011 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa-vixia-series-avchd-camcorders/489914-canon-xa10-hfg10-pics-impressions-ces-2011-a.html)

Michael Galvan January 8th, 2011 09:22 PM

Canon XA10 and HFG10 pics and impressions - CES 2011

8 Attachment(s)
So I was able to go to the Canon booth today and take some pics. Here they are... my impressions to follow.

Here

Michael Galvan January 8th, 2011 09:28 PM

Menu System

8 Attachment(s)
Here are pics of the menu system, showing what kind of options you have with this camera.

Michael Galvan January 8th, 2011 09:42 PM

And final menu pics

4 Attachment(s)
Here are the rest.

These cameras are very nice... they are quite small, and seem to offer quite a lot for their size. Hopefully the pics give you a better idea of what they offer.

The focus ring on these cams make them feel much much better operationally. Really a nice step up compared to previous Vixias. And the handle on the XA10 is great... very small, but very functional.

But of note... for those thinking about this camera as a replacement for the XHA1, I would note that operationally, they are very different. The XHA1 is much much better with all its physical control rings and buttons. Moving to the XA10 may feel like quite a step back... it really is just the top of the line VIXIA consumer model with a handle attached to it. Its touch screen interface won't lend itself well to a lot of types of shooting that would be much easier for something like an XHA1 (imagine trying to change lens parameters manually on the fly for an event shoot for example). And the level of control you have over image parameters on the XL/XH/XF cameras are not found on the XA10/HFG10... not anywhere nearly as close. No control over gammas, knee, RGB matrix, etc.

This is REALLY something to consider if contemplating moving to these cams...

Michael Galvan January 8th, 2011 09:51 PM

But something cool that wasn't in previous VIXIA's before is the Cinema mode is now part of its on mode on the menu switch. And not only is there 9 different cinema filter modes, but for the first time, you have full control of aperture, shutter speed, and gain in all the cinema modes!

Chris Hurd January 8th, 2011 10:06 PM

Many thanks, Michael -- sure appreciate all the photos! Well done,

Floris van Eck January 9th, 2011 03:16 AM

Can you tell of the Touch Focus/AE work in the manual modes? On my Panasonic TM-700, those features only work in the iAuto mode and not in the manual mode. I hope Canon doesn't limit their use.

Michael Galvan January 9th, 2011 10:24 AM

I haven't tried it, but it should work just fine.

The camera has a full manual mode... a first for any VIXIA!

Other things I noticed: ND filter can be turned on/off. There is an image orientation option where you can flip it for 35mm adapters. White balance Kelvin adjustment the same as XL/XH/XF cams (just done in touch screen menu though). You can change the direction of the control ring. And there are 2 assignable buttons.

I gotta go into the show now... last day! Need to shoot this NBC video now so dunno if I can go back and look at the camera further, but I'll try.

Rick Presas January 10th, 2011 12:09 PM

This camera will be big. I actually REALLY want one to replace my HF S200. Its like they read my mind and fixed EVERYTHING that was wrong with it.

I can see this being a Go-To camera for "Run and Gun" or extremely remote location Documentary filmmaking. Its as small as a handicam, but has all the crucial pro features (XLR's, Full Manual Control etc.)

That it has an Imageflip for 35mm adapters just makes it even more enticing. This camera REALLY bridges the gap between consumer and pro/prosumer cameras.

Buba Kastorski January 10th, 2011 07:23 PM

Thanks Michael!
I'm getting this one no matter what :)

Steve Struthers January 16th, 2011 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Galvan (Post 1605856)
I haven't tried it, but it should work just fine.

The camera has a full manual mode... a first for any VIXIA!

Other things I noticed: ND filter can be turned on/off. There is an image orientation option where you can flip it for 35mm adapters. White balance Kelvin adjustment the same as XL/XH/XF cams (just done in touch screen menu though). You can change the direction of the control ring. And there are 2 assignable buttons.

I gotta go into the show now... last day! Need to shoot this NBC video now so dunno if I can go back and look at the camera further, but I'll try.

I sold my HF-S200 mostly for the same reasons you outline above. And I'm not a fan of the touch-sensitive menu found on the Vixia line of cameras. It's hard to work with on the fly, and seems best suited to situations where you select a given setting, and then forget about it. The XA-10 seems to rely fairly heavily on that same menu system, so I don't know if I would spring for an XA-10 right away.

I now have a Canon T2i DSLR, but I didn't buy it for its video capabilities. It might be interesting to run a comparison to see how the XA-10 stacks up against the T2i, which has a substantially larger image sensor.

The XA-10 strikes me as fairly intriguing though, and appears to be directly aimed at Panasonic's AG-HMC40, albeit almost two years late.

Michael Wisniewski January 16th, 2011 08:23 PM

For me the XA10 is the replacement for the good old GL2. But I'm still wondering when Canon will retire that camera.

Michael Galvan January 17th, 2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Struthers (Post 1608174)
I sold my HF-S200 mostly for the same reasons you outline above. And I'm not a fan of the touch-sensitive menu found on the Vixia line of cameras. It's hard to work with on the fly, and seems best suited to situations where you select a given setting, and then forget about it. The XA-10 seems to rely fairly heavily on that same menu system, so I don't know if I would spring for an XA-10 right away.

I now have a Canon T2i DSLR, but I didn't buy it for its video capabilities. It might be interesting to run a comparison to see how the XA-10 stacks up against the T2i, which has a substantially larger image sensor.

The XA-10 strikes me as fairly intriguing though, and appears to be directly aimed at Panasonic's AG-HMC40, albeit almost two years late.

If you are not a fan of touch screen cameras, this is not the camera to get. Most of the functions are in the touch screen menu.

It'll provide a very different shooting experience from something like an XL/XH/XF cam.

Steve Wolla January 24th, 2011 12:31 AM

But in terms of picture quality, is the new sensor a major improvement over say, my HFS-10? I am looking for a more pro-featured small cam that has the ability to use a LANC-type control, for use on a small crane at concerts, events, etc. Would you expect the XA10 to have better low light performance than the HFS-10?

Daymon Hoffman January 24th, 2011 02:28 AM

Damn. i really wish Canon had a 1080p50/60 in these models. I was really hanging out for it to upgrade my HV20. Looks like my only options are P or S! I really liked the more pro look of these two canon's. *sigh* Always something stopping me from having the (my) perfect camera! ggrrr

Michael Galvan January 24th, 2011 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Wolla (Post 1610700)
But in terms of picture quality, is the new sensor a major improvement over say, my HFS-10? I am looking for a more pro-featured small cam that has the ability to use a LANC-type control, for use on a small crane at concerts, events, etc. Would you expect the XA10 to have better low light performance than the HFS-10?

I expect this new sensor should have a noticeable improvement in low-light conditions.

Steve Wolla January 24th, 2011 11:08 PM

That's great as I really like the new Canons. Better low light vs. the HFS-10 is one thing I am looking for. looks like a really viable alternative to the HMC40.

And It looks like the interface-the menu and how it navigates- on the XA10 is miles ahead of the HFS-10--that's a good thing for sure.

But I too do wish they had included 1080/60p ala Panasonic. Oh well, everything else important seems to be present and accounted for.

Paul Elertson February 9th, 2011 11:37 AM

Any ideas as to when this will be released?

Floris van Eck February 9th, 2011 03:06 PM

It will be released in march. And if you Google, you will find a review of the XA10 that compares it with the TM-700 and last years Canon model.

Eric Dyer March 4th, 2011 01:38 PM

Re: Canon XA10 and HFG10 pics and impressions - CES 2011

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Elertson (Post 1616182)
Any ideas as to when this will be released?

It went up for pre-order on Amazon and BH yesterday.

Ken Ross March 4th, 2011 01:40 PM

Eric, I saw that yesterday in addition to the M41 being 'in stock' on Amazon. Today however it seems as if they took it down and once again the message 'product has not yet been relesaed'. So I wonder if they really ever got any in.

These have actually been available for pre-order for a few weeks now.

Eric Dyer March 4th, 2011 04:22 PM

hmm, since it's announcement BH has always stated available in March, a few days ago however BH stated available in April, which made me mad, but then yesterday I saw it was up for pre-order. So who knows? Maybe June :D

Buba Kastorski March 11th, 2011 12:04 AM

I can hardly believe it, and i sure will do my own test, but to be honest i was expecting something like that

YouTube - Canon XA10 & XF105

Steve Wolla March 12th, 2011 02:50 AM

That video, while inconclusive, is very interesting. Based upon it, the XA10 seems to have a little better image quality overall.

Roger Shealy March 12th, 2011 05:53 AM

I'd like to see a comparison of picture quality of the XA10 compared to the Panasonic TM900.

Steve Wolla March 12th, 2011 12:19 PM

So would I, that would be real interesting.

Michael Murie March 17th, 2011 08:31 AM

Got to handle these two cameras briefly at a camera show on the weekend. has some nice features: Notes On Video: Two amazing little cameras from Canon

Spiros Zaharakis March 17th, 2011 11:06 AM

Slashcam from Germany just released a test Google Translate

Michael Wisniewski March 17th, 2011 08:03 PM

I'm really happy with the low light reviews of the Canon XA10 & HFG10. That last German review seems to say that low light performance was just a step down from the 7D, and all other reviews I've seen indicate similar results. One review rates the HFG10 and 7D as almost equal in low light sensitivity & noise. The only low light metric where the 7D pulls away is color performance.

So the trade off seems to be: interchangeable lenses and DOF abilities with aliasing & moire issues vs a properly designed but fixed lens video camcorder. Either way, great choices all around.

Steve Wolla March 20th, 2011 05:24 PM

It would be interesting to actually see some testing between the 7D, 60D, etc against the HF-G10/ XA10 and see what the results really are. Seems pretty incredible if it can really come so close to the 7D, with its much larger chip.

Mikko Topponen March 21st, 2011 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski (Post 1628980)
I'm really happy with the low light reviews of the Canon XA10 & HFG10. That last German review seems to say that low light performance was just a step down from the 7D, and all other reviews I've seen indicate similar results.

With what lens? The 7d is horrible in low light with the f3.5 kit lens but pretty damn good with an f1.4 lens.

Is the XA10 as good as the 7d with a f1.4 lens? Or as bad with the f3.5?

Monday Isa March 21st, 2011 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Wolla (Post 1629852)
It would be interesting to actually see some testing between the 7D, 60D, etc against the HF-G10/ XA10 and see what the results really are. Seems pretty incredible if it can really come so close to the 7D, with its much larger chip.

I have the HF M40 which is the same chip as the G10/XA10/XF100 and while the lowlight is very good and matches well to a 2.8 lens on a DSLR once you go faster than 2.8 i.e 1.4-2.0 the lowlight jump is huge. I must say the HF M40 is a really nice camcorder and nice sensor. Hate that it's all touch screen though. In terms of gain I can easily use 18db and the noise looks like iso 1600 on the T2i, with light just fine for events.

Andy Wilkinson March 22nd, 2011 05:25 AM

Canon XA10 Footage/Video Review

Not sure if this has been posted yet but here is an XA10 Camerastore review/sample footage type video put up on YouTube yesterday.

YouTube - Canon XA10 Field Test with Sample Footage

Andy Wilkinson March 23rd, 2011 02:28 AM

Canon XA10 Footage/Review Video

More info has now emerged about this video (see the YouTube video info page). Apart from the XA10 shots (labelled on screen), the bits to camera were shot with a Canon 5DMkII and new Sony CX700 as well.

Almost all of the XA10 shots are horribly overexposed - no detail in the snow etc. Certainly, the non-XA10 shots look much better to my eyes.

Philip Lipetz March 23rd, 2011 10:50 AM

Also they are talking about the good low light performance of the XF100/XA10 sensor but in the XF100 review they complained about the the low light performance. Hmm...

Yes, the shots are horribly exposed. It looks like they used the autoexposure function which overexposes (we have an XF100) unless the presets are changed.

Michael Wisniewski March 23rd, 2011 06:46 PM

Even if the low light performance is equal, I think it's natural to use a different set of standards when judging the XA10 and the XF100. Personally I'm willing to be more forgiving of the G10/XA10 because anything with decent to good low light in the US$1000-2000 price range has been a long time coming. But at US$3000+, my totally subjective and personal feelings are that I expect better low light performance from the XF100. Then again, I'm NOT the market, so c'est la vie.

Still, Canon did a great job designing these cameras, the initial low light reviews for both videocameras have been very encouraging and I think overall, we are getting a lot more bang for our buck. I'm totally amped to pick one up when they are generally more available.

Buba Kastorski March 28th, 2011 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikko Topponen (Post 1629966)
With what lens? The 7d is horrible in low light with the f3.5 kit lens but pretty damn good with an f1.4 lens.

So, is it 7D horrible in low light, or f3.5 kit lens? :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikko Topponen (Post 1629966)
Is the XA10 as good as the 7d with a f1.4 lens? Or as bad with the f3.5?

XA10 is f1.8 @ wide and f2.8 fully zoomed, and, it is only 1/3" vs APSc size on 7D, so to be fair you need to compare it to something more or less around XA10 specs.

Anmol Mishra March 5th, 2012 11:11 PM

Could someone please post the pdf of the HFG10 instruction manual ? I dont have mine. Cheers!

Buba Kastorski March 6th, 2012 07:11 AM

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : VIXIA HF G10

Don Palomaki March 6th, 2012 07:12 AM

FWIW: The file is copyright by canon, about 10 MB..
You should be able to download it from Canon.
In the USA you can find it at CanonDV.com under the canon model.

Anmol Mishra March 6th, 2012 07:23 PM

Thanks! I got this on mediafire or somewhere else too.