DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa-vixia-series-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   Vixia HF G40 will not work with Marshall Monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa-vixia-series-avchd-camcorders/532279-vixia-hf-g40-will-not-work-marshall-monitor.html)

John Dimasii July 18th, 2016 08:22 PM

Vixia HF G40 will not work with Marshall Monitor

I recently purchased a Canon Vixia HF G40. I wanted to hook up the camera to my Marshall V-LCD70MD monitor via the only connection available between both which is HDMI. I want to use the monitor for what the camera is seeing. The monitor will not display anything saying no signal found. I've hooked up the camera to a tv and it works fine as a monitor. I've tried different HDMI cables with no luck. I've called Canon and they said if it is outputting to the tv then the problem is with the monitor. I have hooked up the monitor to other video cameras and it works fine. Both other cameras are Sony products. I've called Marshall and they said to reset the monitor which I did and still no luck. When the camera is set to play from the card it still does not connect to the monitor. I'm to the point where I'll shell out more money just to get a monitor that works with this camera. Not sure if any others do work other than a tv which will not fit on top of this little camera. I even matched what the camera outputs to what the monitor excepts. 720p out of cam and 720p into monitor no picture.

Gary Huff July 18th, 2016 09:10 PM

Re: Vixia HF G40 will not work with Marshall Monitor

What framerate is the Vixia set to?

John Dimasii July 19th, 2016 05:54 AM

Vixia HF G40 at 59.94 fps

Gary Huff July 19th, 2016 06:06 AM

Try setting the Vixia's internal recording format to 1080 60i (interlaced) and see if that makes any difference with connecting to the Marshall.

Jeff Pulera July 19th, 2016 07:11 AM

I agree with Gary, try 1080i. Traditionally, most camcorders have ALWAYS output 1080i over HDMI, even if camera was set to some flavor of 1080p, the reason being that not all monitors handle progressive inputs, while 1080i is univerally accepted. Not familiar with what the G40 is able to output, but must not be 1080i if the display is not seeing the signal.

EDIT: Just read the G40 manual online, Pg. 104 - you can set the HDMI output to AUTO, 720p, 1080i, 1080p. Go for 1080i and should be working then

Thanks

John Dimasii July 19th, 2016 04:58 PM

Well first of all thanks to all who getting back to me on this problem. I tried setting it to 1080i and every other manual setting and still nothing. Hooked it back up to the tv it works on every setting from automatic 480i, 480p 720p 1080i and 1080p. Every setting in the camera still yields what the camera is seeing on the tv but the monitor refuses to see it but works with other camcorders. I guess I'll have to find a cheap 7inch tv or another proven monitor that will work with this. Not sure how to go about finding another monitor that will actually work with trial and error.

John Dimasii July 19th, 2016 05:10 PM

The monitor works with a Sony NX3 says 1080i 60hz on the monitor and works fine. Maybe the hdmi cable coming out of camera is HDMI mini to standard HDMI going to monitor? This shouldn't be an issue at all.