Best Bang for reviews & How-To's? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old March 4th, 2021, 09:03 AM   #1
Major Player

Best Bang for reviews & How-To's?

I run an Outdoor Channel Vlog for Hiking, Biking, Paddling & Camping and I have been using Nikon DLSR Mirrorless Cameras and Tascam/Zoom Audio Recorders for most of my video work - but it is very cumbersome and does take a bit of time to get everything set up and going. And we all know the easier it is to get going, the more likely we will keep going!

I have been searching for something much easier for all my Reviews and How-To shooting. I have converted a small bedroom into a shooting studio as well as my 2-car garage (fully drywalled, audio dampening & floor) and I have a portable studio (Travel Trailer) for shooing on location while out in the field.

In my search, it seems that the XA40 (my budget is $1500) is the best bang for the buck and would meet my needs, at least on paper. So now I am asking those of you who are in the know - your opinions?

I am open to others, my needs are:
$1500 Budget
4K (This is a must)
XLR Inputs (I don't want to drag recorders if I don't have to)
Descent Lowlight (doesn't have to be great, I can add lots of light if needed)
Attached Thumbnails
Best Bang for reviews & How-To's?-img_1846.jpg   Best Bang for reviews & How-To's?-img_1847.jpg  

Old March 5th, 2021, 11:03 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Best Bang for reviews & How-To's?

Haven't used the XA40 myself. From the reviews and on-line footage I've seen, low light performance is OK, but not the best. That said, with the latest firmware upgrade you do get the 'Custom Picture' feature which allows you to fine tune the image characteristics (knee, black-gamma, sharpness, NR etc). The XA50 would probably be a better choice but given your budget constraint the XA40 appears to adequately meet your needs.
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2021, 11:16 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks!
I have it coming from Amazon - so if it totally sucks, I can return it.
I'll post some sample indoor footage when it gets here.
Old March 5th, 2021, 11:57 AM   #4
Inner Circle

It has a small sensor (1/2"), that's how they manage to fit everything into such a compact package. Outdoor or indoors with lighting should be fine. I assume when you say vlogging you plan to film yourself while its on a tripod, otherwise it might be a little cumbersome holding out in front of yourself while filming. Most use a gopro, small mirrorless, or phone for those vlogging walk n talks.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2021, 07:30 PM   #5
Trustee

Chris ... Interesting challenge - what to get, that is. Scope’ed out your studio and there’s lots of stuff, but given the various activities that is understandable, and ergo, so is wanting to simplify the kit.

By the way, I watched two of your mountain bike runs and they were impressive. The second one ended with a rock-bed “trail”, if one can call it that, and I showed it to my wife. Her response was “Is he crazy?”. No sooner had she said that and the audio at the end of the video said “Yeaaa”. (I thought that was funny)

There is one option that hasn’t been mentioned and that is a separate pre that attaches to the camera. JuicedLink made a number of different preamp models that woudl work with the existing Nikon. From a cost standpoint, the CX211 can run around $50 used on eBay. There was even a recent Sold of another model that went for $5.50 with free shipping. The JuicedLink line has a good reputation for low noise, and they all (that I’m aware of) have dual XLR inputs with separate trim capability. The CX211 attaches to the base of the camera and the output, via a short 3.5mm cable to the camera for recording, or run it to a separate recorder.

Just mentioning this option if you want to keep the Nikon. A camcorder has capabilities for easier adjustments when video shooting, as compared to a camera, so that is all in the tradeoffs. The pre is portable, so if you upgrade the camera, or get a camcorder without the XLR inputs, it, and it’s capability, can be transfered. No software required and none to become outdated, either.

P.S. I’ve got an “old school” mountain bike (26 x 1.95” tires) and like to do biking and, mostly, sailing videos. The bike fits nicely on the boat for grocery store runs and local rides. Like you, I’ve found the chest-mounted cam position is the smoothest (Sony X3000) and a gimbal keeps the horizon level.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2021, 08:44 PM   #6
Major Player

John, hanks for the info and kudos, I love the outdoors!

I just wanted to clear up a few things; the XA will only be used for How-to no Review Videos, basically talking head shots and product b-roll.

All my action filming is shot with 1/2 dozen GoPros ranging from the Session 5 to the new 9.

I do have a separate recorder, the Tascam 60D MKII - here is my current setup, that I am trying to simplify. And all associated lenses form 24mm to 500mm.

FIY: I do have a full carbon tripod, with a verity of different heads that I shoot with. The mini is just for storing the setup when at home.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Bang for reviews & How-To's?-6c1ae9f2-8ab8-4056-ab8d-453b8b386fa9.jpeg   Best Bang for reviews & How-To's?-21ba81e1-254e-479e-9279-1ed2ddef9aa0.jpeg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders