Canon XA75 or Sony PXW-Z90 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old August 4th, 2023, 10:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon XA75 or Sony PXW-Z90

The time has come to upgrade my last HD camcorder, the Canon XA20, to one that can shoot 4K video. I am looking at both the Sony Z90 and the Canon XA75. They seem to have similar features and specs making the choice difficult so I am asking for your input.

One of the things I cannot determine is how the color science varies between the two. There is a noticeable difference between the color accuracy of my Sony A7S III and the XA20. The Sony colors are more accurate. It is time consuming to get clips from the XA20 to look like the A7S III clips so I would like to replace it with a camera that has better color rendition. Does anyone have any experience with the color accuracy of the two cameras?

I shoot motorsports so autofocus speed and accuracy are important to me. Has anyone done a comparison of the autofocus systems of the two cameras?

Anything else I should be thinking about?
Old August 5th, 2023, 12:55 PM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: Canon XA75 or Sony PXW-Z90

I don't know anything about the Canon, but the Z90 has great auto-focus and color.

Old August 5th, 2023, 06:46 PM   #3
Major Player

Some years back, I had the Canon XA10. Then went to Panasonic GH5. I now have the Z90 as well as a recently purchased Sony FX3. I can't speak to the XA75 but will will agree with Doug about the Z90. Not so good in low light however, but then I didn't expect that it would be given the sensor size.

I'll add that if you do go for the Z90 get Doug's tutorial on it. Well worth the money. Which leads me to ask you Doug, if you've ever considered doing one on the FX3? Or who might you recommend that has? Looked at lots, including Alistair Chapman's tips. Some good tuts but nothing as comprehensive as what you did for the Z90.
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2023, 07:43 PM   #4
Trustee

+1 to what Doug said.

The Z90's autofocus is inherited from the A7 line of cameras and is very good indeed. The other thing you will find is that a lot of the Picture Profiles that are offered in the Z90 and A7siii are based off the same color science. Like the 709 and HLG 2020 profiles. You don't get S-Cinetone in the Z-90. But ExtraShot's "replica" S-Cinetone profile that was developed for the A7siii to match the FX9 S-Cinetone works very well on the Z90, with very little modification. You may recall the A7siii didn't come with an S-Cinetone profile originally. It was added in a later firmware update. Check out Paul's ExtraShot settings in the YT clip below. Give them a go on a Z90 and I think you will be surprised. I was pleasantly surprised. Though I must add I'm not the biggest fan of S-Cinetone. I think there are better profiles to use, but then that is just a personal POV.

Also check out Doug's "S-Cinetone Booster" LUTs linked below. These may actually work pretty well on top of ExtraShot's S-Cinetone settings. I haven't tried that yet, but I can't see any reason they wouldn't work on a Z90.

Chris Young

Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2023, 03:27 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrie Easterly View Post
One of the things I cannot determine is how the color science varies between the two. There is a noticeable difference between the color accuracy of my Sony A7S III and the XA20.
Different brands will always require more work to color match them, I have the same issue with Sony and Panasonic, if you want a video camera to match your a7 in terms of color and autofocus then just get the Z90.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2023, 11:23 AM   #6
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase Tanner View Post
I'll add that if you do go for the Z90 get Doug's tutorial on it. Well worth the money. Which leads me to ask you Doug, if you've ever considered doing one on the FX3? .
Thank you for the plug.
No, I don't have any plans to do any training for the FX3 or FX30. I'm sure they are fine cameras in the right hands and perfectly capable of shooting excellent video, but their ergonomics and lack of important features that I find mandatory in a video camera means that I can't get excited about them. Even though Sony classifies them as "cinema" cameras they are even less capable than the Alpha mirrorless cameras for video.
Old August 6th, 2023, 02:02 PM   #7
Trustee

I love my Z90 and man has this camera been good to me over the years and I have had a few, at one time I owned a Sony PMW500 and would would always reach for that little Z90 for ease of use, portability and quality image. I've always thought they shrunk the PMW500 into the Z90 minus your lens choices of course.
The stabilisation in the Z90 is the best I've used in a Sony camera, just perfect for handheld.
I wish Sony would bring out a version 2 of the Z90 with variable ND and 4K 50p at 4:2:2 as I would jump on this.
The 1 inch sensor is excellent for me as I like the look and you can use up to 9db of gain and still get a reasonable image.
This is my latest shoot with the Z90 along with the FS5M2, iPhone 12 Pro Max and a drone.
I shot this a few weeks ago on a trip to Birdsville here in Australia.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2023, 02:06 PM   #8
Trustee

I have some videos on my Youtube channel which I shot as a "my journey type of thing" where you can see the Z90.
Aussie Adventure Syd to Birdsville part 9
Simon Denny is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders